Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2008, 09:05 PM

6 posts, read 25,935 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating to a city in North Carolina or South Carolina. I currently live in rural Oklahoma, but I was born and raised inner city Portland, OR. The climate of the SE appeals to me, and I have visited North Carolina and loved it. I have heard great things about SC as well, and after researching things a bit thought I would toss this out there and see what folks' opinions were on NC versus SC. After reading up on the two, Charleston, Columbia, and most eastern NC cities appeal to me for different reasons.

I have a sister that is a NW transplant in Asheville. I visited but it's TOO hippie even for for me. I'm left, but not bohemian, know what I mean? And it's cold there. So I will basically be moving to a new town not knowing a single soul.

I am wanting to be in a city, but not a huge one. I want culture and night life and fun things to do (i.e. I am single). I have no kids, and do not really care about the schools. I love college towns as I enjoy the intellectual crowd at times, and want to pursue a Master's degree and my CPA. I am a grant accountant and work in the non-profit/governmental accounting field and probably would not move until I had secured a job.

My main concerns are living somewhere pretty that has lots to see and do, with lots of cool people to watch, a reasonable climate (I abhor being cold but am not extremely fond of humidity either), that is not too provincial in attitude. I am from the North, but 7 years in small town Oklahoma has taught me a lot about blending in and making the most of your surroundings. Tell me where should I go?

Last edited by Luckygirl38; 02-10-2008 at 10:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 11:15 AM

635 posts, read 1,654,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckygirl38 View Post
I am considering relocating to a city in North Carolina or South Carolina. I currently live in rural Oklahoma, but I was born and raised inner city Portland, OR. The climate of the SE appeals to me, and I have visited North Carolina and loved it. I have heard great things about SC as well, and after researching things a bit thought I would toss this out there and see what folks' opinions were on NC versus SC. After reading up on the two, Charleston, Columbia, and most eastern NC cities appeal to me for different reasons.

I have a sister that is a NW transplant in Asheville. I visited but it's TOO hippie even for for me. I'm left, but not bohemian, know what I mean? And it's cold there. So I will basically be moving to a new town not knowing a single soul.

I am wanting to be in a city, but not a huge one. I want culture and night life and fun things to do (i.e. I am single). I have no kids, and do not really care about the schools. I love college towns as I enjoy the intellectual crowd at times, and want to pursue a Master's degree and my CPA. I am a grant accountant and work in the non-profit/governmental accounting field and probably would not move until I had secured a job.

My main concerns are living somewhere pretty that has lots to see and do, with lots of cool people to watch, a reasonable climate (I abhor being cold but am not extremely fond of humidity either), that is not too provincial in attitude. I am from the North, but 7 years in small town Oklahoma has taught me a lot about blending in and making the most of your surroundings. Tell me where should I go?

Well Hi there... I saw you are a former Oregonian (so am I) but I was from Pendleton (other side). I now live in SW Missouri (Joplin) moving to the Charlotte, NC area in June. You might consider the Charlotte area, lots to do and it appears be very diverse. Of course I've not been there yet but according to the posts I've read, there is lots to do there. As far as humidity...sorry...I heard it is very humid in the summer, even more so than Mo and OK.

I hope you find the right place that suits you and it is always a pleasure meeting a fellow Oregonian.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:03 PM

20 posts, read 113,874 times
You fit best in Charlotte, and you can complete the Masters in Accounting at UNCC duing night and while working.

Good luck on your move.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:44 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,120,292 times
May I suggest either Raleigh or Wilmington in NC and Charleston in SC?

Raleigh is a great small city with lots to do concerning arts and entertainment. NCSU has a campus there.

Wilmington is a coastal,city with lots to do and plenty of nice beaches. UNC has a campus there.

Charleston is a beautiful place, and being sub tropical it will be warmer than perhaps Charlotte and definitely warmer than Asheville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina