Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 04:35 PM

5 posts, read 4,456 times

Advertisements

Getting so overwhelmed with data and opinions back and forth. Entry level RN with years of other medical experience but cannot find employment in NY. Have spoken many times about moving in the next few years and am looking at North Carolina for friendliness, courtesy, outdoor activities for teens to adults, job opportunities and colleges. Looking at the Apex, Cary, Chapel Hill and surrounding areas would love the mountains and Asheville area but want to be around a city with many things to do but am getting so frustrated with the positive and negative opinions about NC getting so crowded in the last 5-10 years. That is a big reason for leaving LI- arrogance, unfriendly, selfishness and too competitive in a negative way and have lived here my whole life, 50 years, too many unacceptable changes. I need honest opinions from RN's, parents and newer relocators to the area. Appreciate any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 07:30 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEGASUS65 View Post
Looking at the Apex, Cary, Chapel Hill and surrounding areas would love the mountains and Asheville area but want to be around a city with many things to do but am getting so frustrated with the positive and negative opinions about NC getting so crowded in the last 5-10 years. That is a big reason for leaving LI- arrogance, unfriendly, selfishness and too competitive in a negative way and have lived here my whole life, 50 years, too many unacceptable changes. I need honest opinions from RN's, parents and newer relocators to the area. Appreciate any input.
We retired to a small town on the coast about 5 years ago, so count me as a newer relocator. We came from the Washington DC area. Frankly, the Triangle is becoming too crowded and too much like DC for me to want to live there. Traffic is bad and the prices of housing has risen to very high levels.

I'd suggest a smaller city with decent medical facilities. Winston-Salem and Greenville are my top suggestions. Wilmington is nice also, but you would find a lot of competition for nursing jobs. You might also look at other cities at or near the mountains, but not Asheville. Examples to look at: Hendersonville, Waynesville or further-out Charlotte suburbs like Kings Mountain.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:30 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
We retired to a small town on the coast about 5 years ago, so count me as a newer relocator. We came from the Washington DC area. Frankly, the Triangle is becoming too crowded and too much like DC for me to want to live there. Traffic is bad and the prices of housing has risen to very high levels.

I'd suggest a smaller city with decent medical facilities. Winston-Salem and Greenville are my top suggestions. Wilmington is nice also, but you would find a lot of competition for nursing jobs. You might also look at other cities at or near the mountains, but not Asheville. Examples to look at: Hendersonville, Waynesville or further-out Charlotte suburbs like Kings Mountain.
Kings Mountain is a decent suggestion. There are hospitals in Gastonia, Kings Mountain, Shelby, & Lincolnton. There is also a large OT facility in Mt. Holly.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:42 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,366,715 times
If you haven't considered Travel Nursing, and your lifestyle is open for adventure, give it some research. Labor Brokers are always looking for RN's (usually experiences tho') to fill open positions all over the country. The wages are exceptional, and you get to see different areas of the country while earning a living. Other than that, your best bet for employment may be in a rural setting...where small community hospitals have difficulty filling positions, or with the Veterans Administration.

Good Luck
Gemstone1

Old 03-19-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Getting so overwhelmed with data and opinions back and forth. Entry level RN with years of other medical experience but cannot find employment in NY. Have spoken many times about moving in the next few years and am looking at North Carolina for friendliness, courtesy, outdoor activities for teens to adults, job opportunities and colleges. Looking at the Apex, Cary, Chapel Hill and surrounding areas would love the mountains and Asheville area but want to be around a city with many things to do but am getting so frustrated with the positive and negative opinions about NC getting so crowded in the last 5-10 years. That is a big reason for leaving LI- arrogance, unfriendly, selfishness and too competitive in a negative way and have lived here my whole life, 50 years, too many unacceptable changes. I need honest opinions from RN's, parents and newer relocators to the area. Appreciate any input.
Keep something in mind. Your age is probably what is causing your problem. That won't change, as it's a nation-wide problem.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Keep something in mind. Your age is probably what is causing your problem. That won't change, as it's a nation-wide problem.
Age really doesn't have to do with this being in the medical field for over 25 years does. It's a real concern knowing how the field has changed and not for the better. I really need to get good opinions on the areas that are thriving and are in need of nurses and not just telling everyone there is a nursing shortage but refuse to hire because a corporation owns and runs everything financially.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
If you haven't considered Travel Nursing, and your lifestyle is open for adventure, give it some research. Labor Brokers are always looking for RN's (usually experiences tho') to fill open positions all over the country. The wages are exceptional, and you get to see different areas of the country while earning a living. Other than that, your best bet for employment may be in a rural setting...where small community hospitals have difficulty filling positions, or with the Veterans Administration.

Good Luck
Gemstone1
Cannot travel still have a kid in school. Will consider what you said about rural hospitals thanks. Have worked in the VA as an LPN- around here not so nice, too many patients being used as guinea pigs for trials of multiple things even though they may not seriously need it. I'm really wondering about NC and have seen even other jobs people are having a hard time finding now that it is getting very populated though.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

I appreciate your honesty. If you can compare NC to DC that weighs alot on seeing both and comparing. I know DC and yes too crowded and not interested in that type of relocation. Will look into the areas suggested. We are looking for things to do for all ages so I need not a sleepy town but one that has opportunities to get out and live without having crowds continually around every corner. My fear is if NC has gotten this crowded through the years what will it be in 10 years from now.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Age really doesn't have to do with this being in the medical field for over 25 years does. It's a real concern knowing how the field has changed and not for the better. I really need to get good opinions on the areas that are thriving and are in need of nurses and not just telling everyone there is a nursing shortage but refuse to hire because a corporation owns and runs everything financially.
Age discrimination is rampant since a Supreme Court decision. Being in the medical field for 25 years shows your age. Think about it.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:08 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,366,715 times
"Age discrimination is rampant since a Supreme Court decision"....might be true in some fields, but drive, dedication and experience will trump any perceived age barriers in the Nursing field. What matters is what kind of Nurse you are, what you have to offer, and your work ethic, not how old you are. What I mean by "what kind of Nurse", is not referencing what specialty you are (that is a factor tho'), but "who" you are as a person. If you are a mediocre at best RN, then meaningful employment will be difficult/short lived anywhere...if you are an exceptional RN, dedicated to patient care/advocacy, willing to strive for excellence, willing to question bad decisions....doors will open for you, regardless of age.

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina