Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:55 AM

881 posts, read 2,245,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Or you know, one of the many teacher work days? Or oh that's right, SPRING BREAK! Its what a month away? If chemistry is THAT important to him, surely he can wait. It wont kill him.

To the OP and a few others, funny you guys said you never had to show your SS card. I've had to give it AND my driver's license at the start of every job I've ever had for them to make copies of for paper work (all in NC)....weird.
When filling out an I-9 for if you pick something from List A (Documents that establish both identity and employment eligibility) you only need to show one thing. An example would be a US Passport. Otherwise you need to show something from list B (Documents that establish identity only such as a driver's license) and list C (Documents that establish employment eligibility only - such as SS card).

I always just show my passport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 10:31 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,721,541 times
FYI, one of the reasons, I suspect, for the "oppressive" policies on requiring ID is that up until maybe 3 years ago, or so, it turned out that NC had one of the most lenient policies for getting driver's licenses of any state, and this was well-known among illegals far and wide. So they came to NC to get their ID. Folks didn't like their state being the one most associated with "the place to get a fake ID" so the state clapped down. Now, they've maybe gone in the other direction, but it's because there are still a lot of NC driver's licenses out there from the older days that had been obtained without much in the way of valid documentation.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:12 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,915,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
FYI, one of the reasons, I suspect, for the "oppressive" policies on requiring ID is that up until maybe 3 years ago, or so, it turned out that NC had one of the most lenient policies for getting driver's licenses of any state, and this was well-known among illegals far and wide. So they came to NC to get their ID. Folks didn't like their state being the one most associated with "the place to get a fake ID" so the state clapped down. Now, they've maybe gone in the other direction, but it's because there are still a lot of NC driver's licenses out there from the older days that had been obtained without much in the way of valid documentation.
Yep, the Feds have cracked down on the states too. Some states have decided to opt out of the Real ID Act of 2005. Residents of those states (not NC) will have to provide other means of identification since their state-issued license may not be accepted as valid identification for federal purposes.

The REAL ID Act of 2005, Public Law 109-13, 119 Stat. 302, enacted May 11, 2005, was an Act of Congress that modified U.S. federal law pertaining to security, authentication, and issuance procedures standards for the state driver's licenses and identification (ID) cards, as well as various immigration issues pertaining to terrorism.

Real ID Act of 2005: Summary

Last edited by mm34b; 01-26-2011 at 04:20 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 09:35 AM

63 posts, read 207,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I think you are right.

To all the people who think this is so oppressive:

I fail to see the problem. If you are an American citizen and you don't have an SS card....

Stop what you are doing, right now...

And do what you need to do to get one.

And quit whining about it.

Is keeping up with one little card too much to ask? Really?

I for one am glad the State is finally getting a handle on this.

Chris

Old 01-27-2011, 12:50 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,885,356 times
Is that all you have to do to have your DL transfered over? Just fill out the necessary forms and present the required I.D.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina