Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NC's Three Largest Metros: Are They Overrated?
Yes 24 26.09%
No 68 73.91%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 06:01 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,439 times

Advertisements

Are you a newcomer or transplant to one of North Carolina's three largest areas (Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, Greensboro-Winston Salem-High Point, and Raliegh-Durham-Chapel Hill)? Why have so many moved or are moving to these areas? There are no rivers, bays, beaches, or anything spectacular about them. Overall, do you feel that these cities are overrated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2006, 06:22 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,439 times
My opinion, all three areas are overrated and bland.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:22 AM

266 posts, read 1,052,183 times
Default What does it take?

I was a transplant myself...14 years ago for a job transfer. I would have been transferred again to stay in my industry, but did not want to leave the Raleigh area, so changed jobs.
The Grand Canyon is the most spectacular thing in the world, but very few people live near it. Spectacular scenery does not make up for all the things that are missing. The big cities were formed around bodies of water because that was the best way to get goods, supplies and people to them. That's no longer the case. The water is now usually more for recreation for the typical resident. This state does have hundreds of miles of gorgeous beaches and beautiful mountains with quaint towns dotting them. Those towns do not grow quickly because they do not have major highways running through them, the new "waterways". Luckily for us, our wonderful natural assets are very close to most towns in NC. If you actually can afford to live in a home that has a water or other view in one of those "spectacular" places every day, but most people, no matter what city they live in, do not enjoy those views except on their days off. We do the same here.
Most people actually come here for education or jobs. The areas you mentioned have good schools and job prospects. They stay because along with those things we also have decent weather, good housing, nice amenities, etc.
I have loved almost every one of the several states where I have lived because I know how to get enjoyment out of what is offered. This area just had a slight edge because it is a good place to live pretty much every day of the year as well as having lots of special things for those days off. Most people who come here do the same.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:35 PM

110 posts, read 394,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Are you a newcomer or transplant to one of North Carolina's three largest areas (Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, Greensboro-Winston Salem-High Point, and Raliegh-Durham-Chapel Hill)? Why have so many moved or are moving to these areas? There are no rivers, bays, beaches, or anything spectacular about them. Overall, do you feel that these cities are overrated?
Living here my whole life, I guess its the job industry attracting people. Anywhere can be overrated, here its no exception.

If I could stop all the growth right now I would. We have enough Walmarts and Applebees now. We have enough traffic.

If you were to show someone not from NJ or NC around a NJ suburb, then take them down here to Monroe or Mooresville in NC, you really couldnt tell a difference.

Just when I think one of these citys have built themselves out, they start building something else. Its amazing really.

Old 11-23-2006, 11:53 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,758,918 times
Get over the river thing. You've discussed this before. The reason people are moving to those areas is because there are jobs, decent weather and a decent cost of living.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:34 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
In short, no the Piedmont Crescent is not overrated. It is centrally located to the state so if you want the mountains or the beach you can in a days drive plus go back to the "big city" for the city ammenties and jobs.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:53 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
No rivers? The Eno River is in Durham and Orange County.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:40 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
No rivers? The Eno River is in Durham and Orange County.
Yes, but the Eno is not a centerpiece to any of the major cities...it sits 6 miles or more from downtown Durham. I used to really dislike the fact no major NC cities had a riverfront, but the more I see flash flooding and seasonal flooding, I don't mind that our downtowns are mostly immune to these disasters.

As for the area as a whole (Piedmont crescent), it is not overrated as a place to live. It offers a diverse economy, a tolerable climate, moderate cost of living and its central to NC's beautiful mountains and coast, and also to NY and FL on the 85/95 corridor.

I would, however, be very disappointed if I came to this area on holiday. NC's holiday-worthy destinations are the beaches and the mountains, with the Pinehurst area eeking its way into the mix only because of its golf heritage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina