Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 11:56 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,387,629 times

Advertisements

A few other geographical notes:

One county has no incorporated municipalities (towns/cities) at all: Hyde.
The county with the most: Brunswick County (19).

Dare County has both islands and mainland...but the population on the islands is almost 10 times as many as live on the mainland.

The Cherokee Reservation, which covers parts of Swain and Jackson Counties, has complete autonomy from those counties (and mostly from the state too). The full reservation acts as one large local government. "Cherokee, NC" isn't really an individual city so much as its a section of the Tribal government as a whole.
And yup...you guessed it: Cherokee is not in Cherokee County....however the tribe does own some land there, as well as some in Graham County.

The county with the largest population is, of course, Mecklenburg. The smallest, Tyrrell.

In land area, the largest county is Robeson (951 sq. miles). Smallest, is Chowan (173 sq. miles).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 02:04 AM

2 posts, read 10,306 times
Did everone know that Cherokee ,N.C is not in Cherokee Co.,N.C. Murphy is the county seat for Cherokee Co.,N.C

Old 09-22-2006, 08:20 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,387,629 times
^ Yeah, I kinda mentioned that right before you.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:10 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,887,007 times
The town of Graham (near Burlington) is not in Graham County (in western NC) & Columbus (near Asheville) in not in Columbus County (near Wilmington). Go frigure!!

Old 01-17-2007, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,487 times
Red face Help with figuring out towns and counties in North Carolina

I'm not sure if this is the proper thread, or not, to post my questions and information...if not, please advise me, if so, then please help me.

I've been doing my family genealogy for over 45 years and have a lot of very early ancestors who lived in North Carolina. Some fought in the early wars in the state, others migrated to other states and many died in North Carolina.

Lately I've began work on my husband's early ancestors to America, and lo'-and-behold, many of them also settled in North Carolina. I'm familiar with the county makeup in my home state of Virginia, but not very much in North Carolina. So, I'm praying y'all can help me.

Researching the family's old records there's references to: Whipping Hill, Craven County, North Carolina; Lenoir, North Carolina--but there's also a reference here to Reynolds...it reads as if Lenoir is in Reynolds County, but I can find no reference to a county by that name. I know that Lenoir is a county though.

His family names are: Heath; Berry; Hart and Sumner to list a few that are to have been from North Carolina in the late 1600's through the 1700 and into the 1800s.

My family from colonial days in North Carolina include: Vance, Howard, Allen, Brooks, Mauzey and others. I know one of my far back great grandfathers, Abner Vance is said to have fought in the Revolution there at King's Mountain.

I hope that someone out there can help me figure out all of this information, or guide me to a site, or place, where I can go to do further research.

Thanks so much!
Diana Kinzer Heath
now of Tampa, Florida

Old 01-17-2007, 05:25 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,302,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder View Post
Anyone want to take a whack at pronouncing this Wilson County town? No natives please. LOL

Lucama
SO give it up, girl!!
Iredell is not pronounced "Ira Dell" more like "Are Dull" no pun intended!

Old 01-17-2007, 05:27 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,302,720 times
Don't y'all just LOVE this state!!! Hoping for a snow day!!!!

Old 01-17-2007, 05:29 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,914,003 times
I never heard of a "Reynolds" county in NC. Lenior County is in eastern part of the state, but the town of Lenior is in Caldwell County which is in western NC.

The Formation of North Carolina Counties 1663-1943

http://nc-historical-publications.stores.yahoo.net/032x.html

http://www.ncatlasrevisited.org/History/Images/histfig6.gif (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 01-17-2007 at 05:56 PM..

Old 01-17-2007, 10:31 PM

106 posts, read 511,139 times
geez--- where then is zebulon? Which county is it in?

Old 01-17-2007, 10:44 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,914,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnny View Post
geez--- where then is zebulon? Which county is it in?
Zebulon is in Wake County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina