Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 01:00 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,716,832 times

Advertisements

It really doesn't matter. It's your state that is going to majorly suffer and risk economic collapse over your government's stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 01:09 PM

7,813 posts, read 4,524,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Because it's all about the "show" aspect of it and not so much anything else of substance.
I'm not so sure a little "show" is an entirely bad thing. Sure, it would be nice to cure all the world's inequities but that's never going to happen so you take your shots as opportunity allows. Is it better to sit on the sidelines and gaze disapprovingly? Even that is better than a limp "I'll never do business with them again!!!!".

Old 04-06-2016, 01:16 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,309,262 times
Just when did deciding which bathroom to use become an issue?

I have been using the one that has urinals and have yet to see a female squatting over a urinal.

I am sure there are some gay men sizing up other men from time to time but we don't have separate bath rooms for them, nor should we.

Seems like this is similar to the ID requirement for voting. It's never been a problem until some conservative makes it a problem.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:53 PM

398 posts, read 494,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Meanwhile, exploring possibilities of expanding operations in Cuba, where members of the LGBT community are denied employment, under constant government surveillance, harassed and even imprisoned. Yeah, it sure sounds like Paypal is putting their money where their mouth is. Just don't know which side of the mouth we're speaking about.
PayPal has no announced plans to open a physical location in Cuba. Providing its service to the people of Cuba in no way benefits the Cuban government.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:11 PM

730 posts, read 767,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
PayPal has no announced plans to open a physical location in Cuba. Providing its service to the people of Cuba in no way benefits the Cuban government.
This. They are exporting capitalism to Cuba.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:51 PM

165 posts, read 204,921 times
Also: I know Seattle could sure use an NBA team right about now....if the Hornets should feel so inclined to move to a larger, more accepting market.

The NBA Has Concerns About A North Carolina Anti-LGBT Law
http://www.vibe.com/2016/03/nba-conc...anti-lgbt-law/

Last edited by Data Donut; 04-06-2016 at 05:23 PM..

Old 04-06-2016, 06:05 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,319,738 times
We won't buy ANYTHING that comes from North Carolina, even indirectly. Ditto for all these right wing states that are rolling back the civil rights advances of decades under spurious religious laws, which are simply hate laws.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:40 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,560,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
We won't buy ANYTHING that comes from North Carolina, even indirectly. Ditto for all these right wing states that are rolling back the civil rights advances of decades under spurious religious laws, which are simply hate laws.
I totally get boycotting a business or person for an unjust and unnecessary law that someone is fundamentally opposed to, and I can understand a company like Paypal shying away from a state because it's a poor cultural fit with their values, and their employees likely would feel uncomfortable in a that type of perceived cultural climate, based on the troublesome actions of a few which get lots of publicity. But what I don't understand is an individual boycotting an entire geographic area, rather than a specific business, business owner, etc.

There are plenty of people, including myself, who vehemently disagree with poorly thought out, unjust laws (such as HB 2) that happen to be made in the state in which we live. Why "punish" everyone, including those individuals and businesses who are opposed to what's been pushed through the legislature, who voted against the extremist individuals who pushed such legislation through? In case you haven't noticed, not everybody from NC thinks the way the current legislature seems to think we think. You may very likely be boycotting people who are completely opposed to certain legislators misusing their time and energy on passing legislation that removes civil rights/employee protections from its citizens and takes away local control in a power grab by faraway officials in Raleigh (similar to how certain legislators tried to redo Greensboro's City Council district composition without consulting Greensboro). People who work hard to support themselves and their families who never voted for the people pushing this, and plan to aggressively vote for someone of a different ilk in hopes that a more thoughtful group of legislators who realize they represent all of their constituents, whether they personally would be friends with them or not, not just the ones who voted them in and are look, think, and are naturally just like them.

Why punish everyone? I don't get that part of the thought process?

Last edited by Jowel; 04-06-2016 at 06:57 PM..

Old 04-06-2016, 07:18 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,485,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I totally get boycotting a business or person for an unjust and unnecessary law that someone is fundamentally opposed to, and I can understand a company like Paypal shying away from a state because it's a poor cultural fit with their values, and their employees likely would feel uncomfortable in a that type of perceived cultural climate, based on the troublesome actions of a few which get lots of publicity. But what I don't understand is an individual boycotting an entire geographic area, rather than a specific business, business owner, etc.

There are plenty of people, including myself, who vehemently disagree with poorly thought out, unjust laws (such as HB 2) that happen to be made in the state in which we live. Why "punish" everyone, including those individuals and businesses who are opposed to what's been pushed through the legislature, who voted against the extremist individuals who pushed such legislation through? In case you haven't noticed, not everybody from NC thinks the way the current legislature seems to think we think. You may very likely be boycotting people who are completely opposed to certain legislators misusing their time and energy on passing legislation that removes civil rights/employee protections from its citizens and takes away local control in a power grab by faraway officials in Raleigh (similar to how certain legislators tried to redo Greensboro's City Council district composition without consulting Greensboro). People who work hard to support themselves and their families who never voted for the people pushing this, and plan to aggressively vote for someone of a different ilk in hopes that a more thoughtful group of legislators who realize they represent all of their constituents, whether they personally would be friends with them or not, not just the ones who voted them in and are look, think, and are naturally just like them.

Why punish everyone? I don't get that part of the thought process?
I agree 1,000%

Old 04-06-2016, 07:31 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,142,952 times
[quote=Jowel;43624492]I totally get boycotting a business or person for an unjust and unnecessary law that someone is fundamentally opposed to, and I can understand a company like Paypal shying away from a state because it's a poor cultural fit with their values, and their employees likely would feel uncomfortable in a that type of perceived cultural climate, based on the troublesome actions of a few which get lots of publicity. But what I don't understand is an individual boycotting an entire geographic area, rather than a specific business, business owner, etc.

Why punish everyone? I don't get that part of the thought process? [/QUOTE

Just tell your legislature and Governor to stop doing "stupid stuff" and that will solve the problem. Pretty simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina