U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 04:31 PM

168 posts, read 651,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbabies View Post
The color change was made because, from what I'm told, the blue letter fade much faster than red. So, they switched.
Oh I see...well that makes sense...could they have gone with a darker red though?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 06:16 AM

836 posts, read 3,130,313 times
Good question because I had been wondering that myself..
I agree they could have made the red to a darker red like the old tags are a bold blue color....And I wonder what makes them think these new tags won't fade quicker.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:04 AM

3,126 posts, read 7,770,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
Good question because I had been wondering that myself..
I agree they could have made the red to a darker red like the old tags are a bold blue color....And I wonder what makes them think these new tags won't fade quicker.
I agree darker red seems better. How did the the blue fade? Virginia has had blue numbers for a long time and I've never seen one fade. I've seen a lot of old NC plates and the blue doesn't seem to fade, although the outline around the numbers/letters seems to be fading. That would happen whether it's blue or red. I like the blue better...I have a harder time seeing the red.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:07 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,902,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2zmom View Post
Just curious...why did NC go to red letters, replacing the blue. My husband and I don't particularly care for the red letters and were discussing why the big switch?
Maybe they wanted all the Massachussetts folks to feel at home.

I'm with you, i liked the blue better.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:35 PM

16,308 posts, read 26,142,823 times
Perhaps the red shows up better on "red light cameras"

Old 02-15-2008, 02:04 PM

22,974 posts, read 60,723,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Perhaps the red shows up better on "red light cameras"
This is probably best scenario mentioned since I have yet to cross any documented proof that fading was the reason for the change.

I just think who ever creates the design just decided to go back to the 70's, 80's design.

When my tags come up for renewal next month I might consider the custom plate so I dont have to have red letters
The initial cost is a little pricey but the annual costs I do not get because technically you really paying for a sticker.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:35 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,925,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
This is probably best scenario mentioned since I have yet to cross any documented proof that fading was the reason for the change.

I just think who ever creates the design just decided to go back to the 70's, 80's design.

When my tags come up for renewal next month I might consider the custom plate so I dont have to have red letters
The initial cost is a little pricey but the annual costs I do not get because technically you really paying for a sticker.
I agree. But you do have to pay that high fee every year...but at leat it is only once a year.

My 2 favorites are...

Friends of the Great Smokey Mountains & NC Coastal Foundation.

Red light camera's are NO longer in Charlotte. They discontinued those awhile back.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:21 PM

16,308 posts, read 26,142,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post

Red light camera's are NO longer in Charlotte. They discontinued those awhile back.
That's good to know, I used to find myself in Charlotte quite often (only because business dictated that I go) and when they first went up you would have people make a panic stop at a yellow light vs. taking a chance with the red light camera gestapo.

Also had a co-worker that got a red light camera ticket, only problem was it wasn't his face, it wasn't his car, it wasn't his license plate, and he still had to go back to Charlotte and go to court to resolve it.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:14 PM

168 posts, read 651,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I agree darker red seems better. How did the the blue fade? Virginia has had blue numbers for a long time and I've never seen one fade. I've seen a lot of old NC plates and the blue doesn't seem to fade, although the outline around the numbers/letters seems to be fading. That would happen whether it's blue or red. I like the blue better...I have a harder time seeing the red.
Illinois has similar paint scheme to North Carolina...light blue Abe Lincoln (to NC's Wright Bros.) and IL has the darker red color for the characters...actually looks pretty nice. Now that I think about it, before IL had the Abe Lincoln plate, they had the same royal blue that older NC plates have now. Hmm...wondering if I might just get that Jimmie Johnson plate after all!

Old 02-15-2008, 09:33 PM

5,661 posts, read 25,384,007 times
Some North Carolina drivers have had the same plate on their cars for more than 20 years, said Marge Howell, spokeswoman for the state Division of Motor Vehicles in Raleigh.

I'm not sure if any color is going to last if the unprotected plate is exposed to the elements for up to 20 years or more. The state needs to reissue more often.

Last edited by mm34b; 02-15-2008 at 09:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina