Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2016, 04:49 AM

398 posts, read 493,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
I was in Charlotte February of this year love. Charlotte doesn't compare to Atlanta, and is still in a identity crisis. It needs to revamp its stale strategy. I guess annexing works, but that's cheating lol.

Charlotte isn't dominate in NC, because it's a souless city, and offers nothing different from bigger, more recognized cities. Being a "me too" city can only get you so far lol.

I loved Carowinds though!!!!
I'm glad you like Carowinds! Its a great attraction for Charlotte.

As you can easily see, i never mentioned Atlanta, and for the second time (at least) I have never said anything about Charlotte "dominating" NC. I have no idea why you continue to harp on those points when responding to me. Uptown Charlotte blows downtown Raleigh away in every category, and Charlotte is much more of a real city that Raleigh. Thats not a shot at Raleigh...its simply a fact. Some people like one better than the other. Some people appreciate both. Its ok.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:12 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,504,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
I'm glad you like Carowinds! Its a great attraction for Charlotte.

As you can easily see, i never mentioned Atlanta, and for the second time (at least) I have never said anything about Charlotte "dominating" NC. I have no idea why you continue to harp on those points when responding to me. Uptown Charlotte blows downtown Raleigh away in every category, and Charlotte is much more of a real city that Raleigh. Thats not a shot at Raleigh...its simply a fact. Some people like one better than the other. Some people appreciate both. Its ok.
Blows it away in every category????? That a bold statement. That you can't hope to back up with facts. I challenge you to back that statement up with FACTS??

This should be interesting.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:58 PM

241 posts, read 335,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
I was in Charlotte February of this year love. Charlotte doesn't compare to Atlanta, and is still in a identity crisis. It needs to revamp its stale strategy. I guess annexing works, but that's cheating lol.

Charlotte isn't dominate in NC, because it's a souless city, and offers nothing different from bigger, more recognized cities. Being a "me too" city can only get you so far lol.

I loved Carowinds though!!!!

As someone else mentioned, this is a subjective topic. However, I feel that assessment of Charlotte is correct. Charlotte has professional sports, a fairly lively nightlife, decent shopping, some museums, great food, etc.; however, you are correct. Atlanta is bigger and better, in my opinion. The reason I feel Atlanta is better is not just because of its size, but it has character. There's an historical identity that is well-known, seen, and felt in that city. Atlanta used to be a sleepy, Southern town and now it's a metropolitan force on a national scale. It reminds me of Raleigh, in that respect. Raleigh has more character, in my opinion because you can visually see the past, present, and future in most locations. I'll admit, I'm not as familiar with Charlotte. Having had a close friend who lived there take me there for CIAA weekend several years tell me that all the fun we had was not typical of a Charlotte weekend is telling. She said it was generically entertaining. At the time, she was single in her early 20s. That description is pretty telling in that most of her friends that lived there spent half the weekends of the month visiting friends in Atlanta. Raleigh is the seat of government, so that alone, lends some credibility to it. I hate Charlotte traffic, too. I like that Raleigh has the two beltways.

Old 04-16-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Blows it away in every category????? That a bold statement. That you can't hope to back up with facts. I challenge you to back that statement up with FACTS??

This should be interesting.
LOL, I accept your "challenge", weak as it is:

Charlotte 23 million sf of office space in Uptown
Raleigh: 6 million sf in downtown

Charlotte Uptown population is 15,500
Raleigh population is 7,800 in "greater" downtown

Charlotte has 100,000 employees in Uptown
Raleigh has 50,000 downtown employees

Charlotte has more office space, hotel rooms and residential units under construction than Raleigh. Uptown Charlotte has an arena, an NFL stadium, a AAA ballpark and light rail, none of which Raleigh has.

I could go on, but whats the point? I think thats enough facts!

Old 04-16-2016, 03:09 PM

7,052 posts, read 12,270,675 times
When it comes to the number of buildings above 300ft tall, Winston Salem has NC's second largest skyline. And THAT's a fact...

Old 04-16-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nita0312 View Post
As someone else mentioned, this is a subjective topic. However, I feel that assessment of Charlotte is correct. Charlotte has professional sports, a fairly lively nightlife, decent shopping, some museums, great food, etc.; however, you are correct. Atlanta is bigger and better, in my opinion. The reason I feel Atlanta is better is not just because of its size, but it has character. There's an historical identity that is well-known, seen, and felt in that city. Atlanta used to be a sleepy, Southern town and now it's a metropolitan force on a national scale. It reminds me of Raleigh, in that respect. Raleigh has more character, in my opinion because you can visually see the past, present, and future in most locations. I'll admit, I'm not as familiar with Charlotte. Having had a close friend who lived there take me there for CIAA weekend several years tell me that all the fun we had was not typical of a Charlotte weekend is telling. She said it was generically entertaining. At the time, she was single in her early 20s. That description is pretty telling in that most of her friends that lived there spent half the weekends of the month visiting friends in Atlanta. Raleigh is the seat of government, so that alone, lends some credibility to it. I hate Charlotte traffic, too. I like that Raleigh has the two beltways.
You mean the CIAA that Raleigh had and Mayor Meeker attempted to make Raleigh the HQ. Only to watch central Charlotte snatch it away and then Charlotte was chosen as the HQ. Bad example if you were trying to make a point.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:02 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,504,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
LOL, I accept your "challenge", weak as it is:

Charlotte 23 million sf of office space in Uptown
Raleigh: 6 million sf in downtown

Charlotte Uptown population is 15,500
Raleigh population is 7,800 in "greater" downtown

Charlotte has 100,000 employees in Uptown
Raleigh has 50,000 downtown employees

Charlotte has more office space, hotel rooms and residential units under construction than Raleigh. Uptown Charlotte has an arena, an NFL stadium, a AAA ballpark and light rail, none of which Raleigh has.

I could go on, but whats the point? I think thats enough facts!

You forgot a few things. I'll make this quick.

Restaurant scene,arts and culture. All categories Charlotte trails Raleigh in.

I think Charlotte is a great city. With lots of good things going on. You just made a statement that couldn't be backed up with facts. Because it's simply not true.

Btw office space,please!!!! Last time I was in Charlotte to catch a Hornets game. Nice arena btw. The last thing on my mind was office space.

Keep trying that was a pretty weak comeback.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:30 PM

241 posts, read 335,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
You mean the CIAA that Raleigh had and Mayor Meeker attempted to make Raleigh the HQ. Only to watch central Charlotte snatch it away and then Charlotte was chosen as the HQ. Bad example if you were trying to make a point.
Well, the point isn't that they were chosen to host a sports tournament. Greensboro has hosted a bigger one. My point was that at that time (6 or 7 years ago), Charlotte was boring for many young singles in the area. On a typical weekend, I heard her and her friends talk about near constant visits to Atlanta. I admitted, I haven't spent a lot of time there, but from I've heard from residents....it's like Atlanta in training. I just doesn't feel like it has a real identity.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
You forgot a few things. I'll make this quick.

Restaurant scene,arts and culture. All categories Charlotte trails Raleigh in.

I think Charlotte is a great city. With lots of good things going on. You just made a statement that couldn't be backed up with facts. Because it's simply not true.

Btw office space,please!!!! Last time I was in Charlotte to catch a Hornets game. Nice arena btw. The last thing on my mind was office space.

Keep trying that was a pretty weak comeback.
For someone who demands facts, and then provides none, you talk pretty big, lol. Downtown Raleigh doesn't compare to Uptown Charlotte in any way shape or form. The facts, as provided, prove it.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nita0312 View Post
Well, the point isn't that they were chosen to host a sports tournament. Greensboro has hosted a bigger one. My point was that at that time (6 or 7 years ago), Charlotte was boring for many young singles in the area. On a typical weekend, I heard her and her friends talk about near constant visits to Atlanta. I admitted, I haven't spent a lot of time there, but from I've heard from residents....it's like Atlanta in training. I just doesn't feel like it has a real identity.
You should at least visit some time this year before speaking on what any place is like. You'll see that uptown Charlotte is a good 20-30 years ahead of DT Raleigh in most categories. Uptown Charlotte feels like a metro of 3 million-plus. It still needs more retail though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina