Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2017, 07:11 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Jacksonville is 747 square mile and population per square mile is 1,100.1. 2016 population is 880,619 at 7.2% per year.
Charlotte at 842,051 in 2016 and growing by 14.5% will over take Jacksonville in a few years in population.
Charlotte is at #43 as the largest city in North America which only looks at cities over 500,000.
I can not compare Charlotte with no other city in the USA, so I can only take data I find that proves it is a large city.

Airport
Banking Center
Energy Center
Wholesale center
Trucking center
Sports
Health Care Home to third-largest public healthcare system in the U.S. – Carolinas Health Care System
Transportation
Food

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

So much as Charlotte being a small or midsize city.
You're still trying to prove that with data that has never been an even remotely accurate way to determine actual city size though.

Some could argue Charlotte is a large city, some would argue it's mid/large. It has definitely grown to a point where it should be taken seriously on all accounts.

However, the using city population numbers for determining size has to stop because its almost NEVER apples to apples. You brought up Jacksonville. Jacksonville is not larger then Charlotte. Forget that list. Jacksonville in reality is a city more comparable in size to Raleigh then it is Charlotte! That list also would say that Raleigh Atlanta and Miami are all roughly the same size. It is a completely bogus statistic my friend.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:27 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
You're also preaching to the choir my friend. I live in Raleigh. Love it, support it, and will stick up for what it has become. However, im not dillusional. I have no problem admitting that Charlotte in just about every way you look at it is roughly twice the size. It definitely is a tier above Raleigh itself. In my eyes the only reasonable comparison is the Triangle as a whole to the Charlotte region.

I also agree that Durham doesnt get enough credit for its part of making up the Triangle. With that being said, Raleigh is at a point now as its own entity that even though it still might not give you the real big city feel quite as much, it does pretty much check all the important boxes of a large city. So for that im proud of where it's at and where it's headed.
Fair enough. Raleigh does have most of the big city essentials. Job growth and higher education being the two most important factors.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:41 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,755 times
Quote:
You're still trying to prove that with data that has never been an even remotely accurate way to determine actual city size though.

Some could argue Charlotte is a large city, some would argue it's mid/large. It has definitely grown to a point where it should be taken seriously on all accounts.

However, the using city population numbers for determining size has to stop because its almost NEVER apples to apples. You brought up Jacksonville. Jacksonville is not larger then Charlotte. Forget that list. Jacksonville in reality is a city more comparable in size to Raleigh then it is Charlotte! That list also would say that Raleigh Atlanta and Miami are all roughly the same size. It is a completely bogus statistic my friend.
That is Jacksonville, Fla. Jacksonville is 5.25 times larger in land area than Raleigh and has 421,739 more people than Raleigh. I thinks you are wrong on your comparison of Raleigh & Jacksonville.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
That is Jacksonville, Fla. Jacksonville is 5.25 times larger in land area than Raleigh and has 421,739 more people than Raleigh. I thinks you are wrong on your comparison of Raleigh & Jacksonville.
....good lord. Im not sure how else to explain it so that you will understand.

Have you ever left Charlotte and been to other cities?? Why don't you see what i mean about a cities land size massively screwing with population and actual size numbers?

You keep talking about Jacksonville's land area it should be so obvious! A quick wikipedia search puts Jacksonville as the 12th largest city in America. Please do not tell me you actually believe that. It is just simply a DUMB statistic based off whatever is counted in the land area. Even if the land area is 750sq miles compared to another city that can only count 50sq/miiles. Thats not a largely populated city. That's just a big chunk of the state!

There is much more that needs to be considered when figuring out which cities are really the largest and which ones compare to each other. I said Raleigh compares to Jacksonville better because their metro's are a lot closer. Jacksonville 1.6 Raleigh 1.3. And thats probably STILL with Jacksonville having a huge land area advantage.

Surely you must see how quickly a "city population list" looks absolutely ridiculous. By the logic you are holding to, that would mean the following: Charlotte is larger then D.C. and Boston Atlanta and Miami LOL. San Antonio is way larger then San Fran LOL. Jacksonville is over double the size of Miami. Raleigh is in between Atlanta and Miami LOL. Colorado Springs is larger then Miami! LOLOLOLOL. I can go on and on with that ridiculous list.

I dont mean to come off as a jerk but surely its obvious that a list ranking city size based off that statistic alone is completely useless.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:42 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,987 times
Quote:

Have you ever left Charlotte and been to other cities?? Why don't you see what i mean about a cities land size massively screwing with population and actual size numbers?

You keep talking about Jacksonville's land area it should be so obvious! A quick wikipedia search puts Jacksonville as the 12th largest city in America. Please do not tell me you actually believe that. It is just simply a DUMB statistic based off whatever is counted in the land area. Even if the land area is 750sq miles compared to another city that can only count 50sq/miiles. Thats not a largely populated city. That's just a big chunk of the state!

There is much more that needs to be considered when figuring out which cities are really the largest and which ones compare to each other. I said Raleigh compares to Jacksonville better because their metro's are a lot closer. Jacksonville 1.6 Raleigh 1.3. And thats probably STILL with Jacksonville having a huge land area advantage.

Surely you must see how quickly a "city population list" looks absolutely ridiculous. By the logic you are holding to, that would mean the following: Charlotte is larger then D.C. and Boston Atlanta and Miami LOL. San Antonio is way larger then San Fran LOL. Jacksonville is over double the size of Miami. Raleigh is in between Atlanta and Miami LOL. Colorado Springs is larger then Miami! LOLOLOLOL. I can go on and on with that ridiculous list.

I dont mean to come off as a jerk but surely its obvious that a list ranking city size based off that statistic alone is completely useless.

It's the most populous city in the southeast. But I get what you're trying to convey.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:46 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,629 times
Quote:
You're right. Charlotte's bigger than Baltimore, DC, Seattle, Atlanta, Miami, SanFran, Boston, Oakland, Minneapolis, and many others... Charlotte is one of the largest cities in North and South America.

It's the second largest banking city behind NYC. No other city can compare honestly. Charlotte's financial district is larger than Chicago, San Francisco, Atlanta...

Old 07-20-2017, 09:16 AM

57 posts, read 49,988 times
This thread is about comparing (or in the case of Raleigh, trying to) Charlotte and Raleigh. Who actually cares about all of the other cities outside of NC?

Old 07-20-2017, 09:21 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
I'm not sure how you guys can stretch out such a simple fact.

Charlotte is bigger than Raleigh.

Raleigh/Durham metros are similar to the size of Charlotte. Lots of metros are.

These guys are similar: Charlotte/Austin/Raleigh/Orlando/Norfolk/Tampa/San Antonio/Richmond/New Orleans

These guys are similar: Houston/Dallas/Atlanta/DC/Miami

Old 07-20-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I'm not sure how you guys can stretch out such a simple fact.

Charlotte is bigger than Raleigh.

Raleigh/Durham metros are similar to the size of Charlotte. Lots of metros are.

These guys are similar: Charlotte/Austin/Raleigh/Orlando/Norfolk/Tampa/San Antonio/Richmond/New Orleans

These guys are similar: Houston/Dallas/Atlanta/DC/Miami
I actually dont think anyone's argued that in this thread for quite awhile.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:40 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:

You are not looking at the whole picture. You can compare the Atlanta metro to the Philadelphia metro, but if you compare the cities it will make you look foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina