Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2017, 01:51 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Im a little confused as to if you are agreeing with me in a weird kind of way by still passively agressively putting the Triangle down...?
Getting kinda over this conversation. I ran all the official numbers i could already why are we still posting about it. But anyways, The Herald Sun is counting Durham metro and Raleigh metro. But just the two alone arent what make up the entire Triangle. If we're rounding up lol, yes Charlottes metro is by now im sure around 2.5million. The Triangle is around 2.3m somewhere. They both are roughly the same land area. Is anybody still confused by this?

I dont see anybody having a hard time accepting that Charlotte has 3 counties apart of its metro in SC. Thats just the way it is. But theres certain little statistics that we were talking about that are referencing North Carolina specifically. Thats all.
I see you comparing more than 1 MSA to part of another MSA. You even called the SC part of the Charlotte MSA part of the CSA.

I even saw you drag Detroit & Grand Rapids into this. It makes me really wonder. Detroit's MSA is in 2 separate countries. Yet you seem to have a problem with a dual-state MSA.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:17 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I see you comparing more than 1 MSA to part of another MSA. You even called the SC part of the Charlotte MSA part of the CSA.

I even saw you drag Detroit & Grand Rapids into this. It makes me really wonder. Detroit's MSA is in 2 separate countries. Yet you seem to have a problem with a dual-state MSA.
Am i living in crazy town? What is the deal with you guys man lol im literally laying out everything as simple as possible. And yet everything for some reason is still misconstrued. What makes you think i have a problem with Charlotte having its metro spill over into SC??

You Charlotte guys gotta stop being so defensive or assuming everythings meant to be a jab. One comment was made about the NCDOT estimating the Triangle to be NORTH CAROLINAS largest metro. How is that possible is what is asked basically. I say "idk maybe because they're just counting the people in their state and live in their counties." After crunching the numbers, yeah it seems likely that's what they mean. I in no way have a problem with Charlottes metro. I don't have a problem with a whole lot of anything about Charlotte. But at the end of the day do the people that live in Rock Hill get counted as NCs population? No. For the life of me i cant understand why that's anything to give a crap about! Charlottes metro is still Charlottes metro. It still has more people then the Triangle. Are we happy now??

And i mentioned Detroit and Grand Rapids for a completely different reason please don't try to twist the narrative. My goodness.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:47 PM

743 posts, read 826,233 times
Quote:
Am i living in crazy town? What is the deal with you guys man lol im literally laying out everything as simple as possible. And yet everything for some reason is still misconstrued. What makes you think i have a problem with Charlotte having its metro spill over into SC??

You Charlotte guys gotta stop being so defensive or assuming everythings meant to be a jab. One comment was made about the NCDOT estimating the Triangle to be NORTH CAROLINAS largest metro. How is that possible is what is asked basically. I say "idk maybe because they're just counting the people in their state and live in their counties." After crunching the numbers, yeah it seems likely that's what they mean. I in no way have a problem with Charlottes metro. I don't have a problem with a whole lot of anything about Charlotte. But at the end of the day do the people that live in Rock Hill get counted as NCs population? No. For the life of me i cant understand why that's anything to give a crap about! Charlottes metro is still Charlottes metro. It still has more people then the Triangle. Are we happy now??

And i mentioned Detroit and Grand Rapids for a completely different reason please don't try to twist the narrative. My goodness.
It sounds like your the one getting defensive.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
It sounds like your the one getting defensive.
You too man? I thought we were cool. You wouldnt get irritated if you had to explain a very simple concept over and over to multiple people simply because they're homers for their great city? And having everything you innocently say or research some how turned into a bash against a city you actually like quite a bit. No i remember now i was told you guys just like to troll

Old 11-09-2017, 03:11 PM

743 posts, read 826,233 times
Quote:
You too man? I thought we were cool. You wouldnt get irritated if you had to explain a very simple concept over and over to multiple people simply because they're homers for their great city? And having everything you innocently say or research some how turned into a bash against a city you actually like quite a bit. No i remember now i was told you guys just like to troll
I don't troll period, & we are cool. If pointing out flawed data is trolling then I guess I'm done.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
I don't troll period, & we are cool. If pointing out flawed data is trolling then I guess I'm done.
Right, flawed initially because i didnt know what the facts were. And I was open to discussion and correction about it. Nobody posting had the correct data it was also just mostly guesses even if they were closer at times. Crunching the county numbers is probably about as down to the bone as it gets so hopefully that provides insight to anybody wanting to know without doing the work themselves.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:26 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Right, flawed initially because i didnt know what the facts were. And I was open to discussion and correction about it. Nobody posting had the correct data it was also just mostly guesses even if they were closer at times. Crunching the county numbers is probably about as down to the bone as it gets so hopefully that provides insight to anybody wanting to know without doing the work themselves.

I missed the last 5 pages. But Im assuming the basic point was both cities are growing fast.

Charlotte probably in raw numbers, Raleigh probably in percent.

Then people probably went on from comparing populations of cities then adding MSA's, adding CSA's, etc. etc. to come to the conclusion that no one can agree that both are the fastest growing cities in the nation.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I missed the last 5 pages. But Im assuming the basic point was both cities are growing fast.

Charlotte probably in raw numbers, Raleigh probably in percent.

Then people probably went on from comparing populations of cities then adding MSA's, adding CSA's, etc. etc. to come to the conclusion that no one can agree that both are the fastest growing cities in the nation.
Nah just more of a Triangle vs Charlotte, NC/SC thing i guess. Pretty pointless after its all said and done hehehe

Old 11-09-2017, 05:26 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Nah just more of a Triangle vs Charlotte, NC/SC thing i guess. Pretty pointless after its all said and done hehehe
I think you're confusing CSA and MSA counties in both metros. The Triangle has the metros of Raleigh and Durham; combined they are still under 2 million. According to the News and Observer (their source was the latest census estimate) Raleigh/Cary is slightly above 1.3 million while Durham/Chapel Hill are at 560,000. Combined, that's about 1.86 million as of 2016.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.newso...140293563.html

So, IF Raleigh/Durham were combined, here is how things would look for 2016 so that we're clear.

Triangle MSA-1.86 million
Triangle CSA-2.15 million

Charlotte MSA-2.47 million
Charlotte CSA-2.63 million

So on a MSA comparison, Charlotte has 600k more people. At the CSA level, Charlotte has 500k more people. If we subtract the 400k in SC (3 msa counties by the way) it would be plus 200k (msa) and plus 100k (csa) NC-only Charlotte. I hope that cleared up any confusions.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:26 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:

I'm not being defensive, but you certainly seem to be. I carefully read your posts. The more you posted, the more confused you seemed to get. It was very handy that you decided to drag the 2 biggest MSAs in Michigan into it. You don't have to be a Michigan native to know that Windsor, Ontario is right across the bridge from Detroit, but I am.

It's the same old crap every time posters from the Triangle get into this. An MSA is an MSA whether it's single state, dual state, or tri state. I moved here from a tri state MSA. I get the feeling that some posters' heads would explode if they had to deal with discussion of a tri state MSA. The feds determine the MSA & CSA participants, not a state's DOT.

Try this, the town I live in is in two counties. One county is in the Charlotte MSA, the other county is in the Charlotte CSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina