Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2018, 11:16 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,663,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Thanks FRIEND, I totally forgot about Charlotte's skyline and NASCAR in my previous post. Any more request?

Yes. Amazon's current finalists list.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:47 PM

7,052 posts, read 12,270,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Yes. Amazon's current finalists list.
Every city on that list (except Raleigh) is off topic for this thread. However, I can explain why that list is so important to you and Raleigh's most vocal cheerleaders.

For years, large corporations pushed Charlotte into the "big leagues" (even though Charlotte wasn't big league sized). These corporate citizens infiltrated local government and demanded things like arts funding, downtown sports arenas, mass transit, a strong airport, and urban living in the city's core. They also constructed some of the best looking office towers on the east coast.

The list of 20 that you requested is bigger than Raleigh simply out-lasting Charlotte. It could finally mean that Raleigh (specifically downtown) might get that corporate citizen that brings to Raleigh what Charlotte has enjoyed for quite some time. The Raleigh faithful on this board will never admit to this, but we all know how you guys feel.

As for Charlotte, some folks have gotten so accustomed to Charlotte landing most of NC's corporate relocations that they can't stomach the fact that Raleigh out-lasted Charlotte for Amazon. IMO, both groups need to chill and just enjoy their city. I attempted to do just that by trying to change the mood of this thread with videos of Charlotte and kind words towards Raleigh. Here is that post....
Quote:
Today, the Triangle finally has a real shot at landing the major downtown corporate HQ that Raleigh has always lacked. I'm hoping that it happens. Raleigh has been on the coat tails of RTP for way too long IMO. This could be Raleigh's brand (Co-Headquarters of Amazon).

Many experts are not taking Raleigh seriously, but I think they're missing the bigger picture. 3 major universities, almost zero corporate competition within the metro, low crime, and affordability makes Raleigh a legitimate contender. I had the same gut feeling about Charlotte winning the 2012 DNC when the final 4 list came out. I realize that this is a final 20 list, but my gut says that this might be Raleigh's time to shine.
I think Raleigh's odds are MUCH better than the experts are saying. My gut tells me that Amazon wants a strong university area that doesn't already have a bunch of Fortune 500s (that would compete with Amazon for college recruits). On that alone, Raleigh really stands out.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 01-20-2018 at 11:56 PM..

Old 01-21-2018, 02:54 AM

365 posts, read 496,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Pretty Sure Charlotte & Meck County are more liberal than Raleigh & Wake.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/re...north-carolina
Wow, interesting.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:24 AM

3,655 posts, read 3,901,847 times
Anyone who has traveled throughout most of this country and some internationally would give pause to lumping Charlotte into the "big leagues", "major US cities", "biggest cities in America" status. They would, at minimum, be "blessing their regionally confined" hearts for someone describing Charlotte with these loaded phrases that connote so much that Charlotte isn't.

Charlotte is solidly a mid-size American city in every way: atmosphere, energy, lifestyle, trend meter, pulse of activity. Peers: Tampa, Pittsburgh, Portland, San Antonio...(NOT AT ALL a peer with Atlanta, Miami, D.C., Dallas, Houston.& WON'T BE IN OUR LIFETIMES)

Eschewing prudent/pragmatic place making & concluding that much taller building heights justifiably convey what Charlotte is all about.

But I disagree, Hugh McColl was proud of Charlotte's thriving business community and his ambition to be a big banking fish on the national stage led to an excessively tall & out-of-context tower (which I love & think is elegant and timeless).

But that and Wachovia's race to keep up, does not, in any way, transform Charlotte into one of the real major cities that evolved from a century of migration by those dreaming of hope, work, and a better life.

When I'm in Charlotte's city center and on I-277 it doesn't feel or look like a major US city. There is lots of empty space between the tall towers, and I feel like it's almost an isolated valley because subconsciously I know the mountains are not far off to the West. The east side of I-485 is totally rural and certainly is the end of the Sprawl from Gastonia direction. I-85 through the area does feel almost like a major city.

And Charlotte is surrounded by too many other small & growing cities to ever attain the destination status on a global level for these phrases to ever be appropriate (and not have people laugh).

If I'm missing something, please pinpoint at which moment during last 25 years that officially opened the door to "big city" status.

Was it building height? Was it city limit annexation? If so, what population justifies "major city" status" 500k, 600k, 800k?

Because Mecklenburg's and Wake's county populations are both 1million, Raleigh/Cary/Durham city limits run together, and except for separate names, city limits areas & populations are roughly equal.

The bottom line is that Charlotte and the Triangle are both suburban, medium-sized metros brimming with NC natural beauty that's nationally recognized and highly desired.

Charlotte metro currently has about 300,000 more people and is built with "big-city" infrastructure components.

The Triangle is comprised of local-feeling enclaves using small-scaled infrastructure exclusively.

Selling Charlotte as an urban city inexorably softened by NC's charms that can't be found elsewhere...

will get you the most respect.

My sister-in-law is a Raleigh native and is very unpretentious, but on my last visit home she casually mentioned that the rest of the state was jealous that Raleigh has the prestige of being the capital. I've never put any value on being a state's capital, but she sure did, lol.

Last edited by architect77; 01-21-2018 at 03:48 AM..

Old 01-21-2018, 04:42 AM

3,655 posts, read 3,901,847 times
Quote:
Personally, I wish all city vs city threads would feature more scenes from the cities. If nothing else, scenes at least give people an idea of what a city is like.

And for my FRIEND metro.m, a Carowinds video!!!!

Raleigh's vibe (young adults mostly ITB natives) of not subscribing to any trend and 2 years later engaging in pastimes that have yielded quality experiences....

is what I see in central Raleigh in Glenwood South and Downtown.

Nothing in these videos seemed cool or current in my opinion, and it ain't related to current happenings in NY LA or Atlanta.

Street performers beyond cheesy and decades behind current trendsetters.

White girls dancing is "country come to town" if I've ever seen it.

If you think Wake County is more "bumpkin" than Charlotte's populace....

it's obvious that you keep making inferences based on your perceptions of Charlotte as a sophisticated anomaly.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Charlotte is Western NC, much more redneck, mountain-folk, single-wide trailor, former textile factory workers, more rural drug entrenched,

Charlotte region consumes more ketchup and SPAM than any where else in the country.

Charlotte-bound passengers (O+D not on American) are the worst-dressed, ugliest clothed group of people at airports across the country. RDU passengers are slightly better because of all of the programmer's typical khakis, polos & rockports.

Charlotte is more blue collar as a whole and is less educated.

Raleigh ranks up there with Denver & Seattle for healthy population and more Yankees who aren't very bumpkin typically.

You cannot use votes or political affiliation to make broad generalizations.

Counties all over FL and NC defied all logic this past election.

Charlotte's and Raleigh's aristocracy all run together in the same statewide circles.

The debutantes & annual ball are ground zero for NC's upper crust.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:51 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,872,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
The place literally looks like a suburban mall repackaged and sold under mixed use. It's sad honestly.

Yup. It’s kinda depressing. Feels like I’m being punked and driving past the same block a hundred times. Lol

Old 01-21-2018, 05:18 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,872,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Anyone who has traveled throughout most of this country and some internationally would give pause to lumping Charlotte into the "big leagues", "major US cities", "biggest cities in America" status. They would, at minimum, be "blessing their regionally confined" hearts for someone describing Charlotte with these loaded phrases that connote so much that Charlotte isn't.

Charlotte is solidly a mid-size American city in every way: atmosphere, energy, lifestyle, trend meter, pulse of activity. Peers: Tampa, Pittsburgh, Portland, San Antonio...(NOT AT ALL a peer with Atlanta, Miami, D.C., Dallas, Houston.& WON'T BE IN OUR LIFETIMES)

Eschewing prudent/pragmatic place making & concluding that much taller building heights justifiably convey what Charlotte is all about.

But I disagree, Hugh McColl was proud of Charlotte's thriving business community and his ambition to be a big banking fish on the national stage led to an excessively tall & out-of-context tower (which I love & think is elegant and timeless).

But that and Wachovia's race to keep up, does not, in any way, transform Charlotte into one of the real major cities that evolved from a century of migration by those dreaming of hope, work, and a better life.

When I'm in Charlotte's city center and on I-277 it doesn't feel or look like a major US city. There is lots of empty space between the tall towers, and I feel like it's almost an isolated valley because subconsciously I know the mountains are not far off to the West. The east side of I-485 is totally rural and certainly is the end of the Sprawl from Gastonia direction. I-85 through the area does feel almost like a major city.

And Charlotte is surrounded by too many other small & growing cities to ever attain the destination status on a global level for these phrases to ever be appropriate (and not have people laugh).

If I'm missing something, please pinpoint at which moment during last 25 years that officially opened the door to "big city" status.

Was it building height? Was it city limit annexation? If so, what population justifies "major city" status" 500k, 600k, 800k?

Because Mecklenburg's and Wake's county populations are both 1million, Raleigh/Cary/Durham city limits run together, and except for separate names, city limits areas & populations are roughly equal.

The bottom line is that Charlotte and the Triangle are both suburban, medium-sized metros brimming with NC natural beauty that's nationally recognized and highly desired.

Charlotte metro currently has about 300,000 more people and is built with "big-city" infrastructure components.

The Triangle is comprised of local-feeling enclaves using small-scaled infrastructure exclusively.

Selling Charlotte as an urban city inexorably softened by NC's charms that can't be found elsewhere...

will get you the most respect.

My sister-in-law is a Raleigh native and is very unpretentious, but on my last visit home she casually mentioned that the rest of the state was jealous that Raleigh has the prestige of being the capital. I've never put any value on being a state's capital, but she sure did, lol.
Well said ... and I don’t even think Charlotte is particularly urban in a metropolitan city sense. That’s why I struggle to define it that way. Outside of it’s immediate core, it feels so suburban to me. If anyone has spent time in ATL, DC, Baltimore, Philly even Memphis ...then you’d immediately dismiss urban being associated with Charlotte.

Has Charlotte leaped past Raleigh in urban density yet? I thought about 7 years ago both cities were still neck and neck ...

At times, Greensboro (although its downtown leaves much to be desired) feels like the state’s most urban city with its grittiness on full display.

Good ol’ rural North Carolina has really been fortunate, however, with the rise of Charlotte and Raleigh, helping it to be a player in region dominated by Atlanta. So we should be grateful for both... as well as the Triad.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:20 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,341,474 times
Lol! You guys do realize Raleigh is much, much more suburban? It’s center city area is peanuts compared to Charlottes... How could you possibly rag on the size while trying to defend “Tiny Downtown Raleigh” ?

And thanks! And Raleigh/Cary/Wake is much more conservative btw you guys could’ve tipped NC towards Hillary if you would’ve been as blue as Char-Meck

Quote:
In advanced (this was more well written. Before my laptop crashed. So union station, parks, etc are left out because I’m too lazy now)

Raleigh:

CBD population (downtown: NorthEnd/Seaboard, Glenwood, etc)

2017: 8,200
Projected 2022: 11,000

Downtown Raleigh density: 5,230 per sq. Mile

Under construction:

1,000+ Hotel Rooms
3,500 Residential Units (1800 complete, 564 being built, 1300 planned. 36% in Glenwood)
1.5 million sq. Ft of office

https://issuu.com/downtownraleighalliance/docs/sodfinal

Comparison excluding visitors/cultural institutions considering there are different ways they are counted:

CBD Raleigh Pop. 2017: 8,200
Uptown/SouthEnd Pop. 2011: 18,000

CBD Raleigh Pop. 2022: 11,000
Uptown SouthEnd Pop. 2022: 38,000

CBD Raleigh Hotel 2020: 2247+
Uptown Hotel 2020: 8,000

Raleigh CBD Office 2020: 9,000,000 sq. Ft.
Uptown Charlotte 2020: 30,000,000 (SouthEnd has lots of office being built too.)

All that adds up to a huge difference between the amount of people uptown vs. CBD Raleigh. Of course there is the degree of Quality over Quantity. Which is purely subjective on which you prefer

Those uptown Charlotte numbers don’t even reflect other parts of center city like plaza mid wood which this picture shows

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeMMeUBl...=temptthearrow

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeCMscHn...-by=exploreclt[/quote]

Photo by cj_byers

By ricardogomezzz on Instagram

Yeah. Center city Raleigh doesn’t come close to matching the size center city Charlotte. By a large, large margin. Stick with your lower density version of Ballantyne Aka RTP.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:43 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,341,474 times
Ballantyne

RTP

Btw

Old 01-21-2018, 08:56 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,663,447 times
Quote:
Lol! You guys do realize Raleigh is much, much more suburban? It’s center city area is peanuts compared to Charlottes... How could you possibly rag on the size while trying to defend “Tiny Downtown Raleigh” ?

And thanks! And Raleigh/Cary/Wake is much more conservative btw you guys could’ve tipped NC towards Hillary if you would’ve been as blue as Char-Meck

Those uptown Charlotte numbers don’t even reflect other parts of center city like plaza mid wood which this picture shows

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeMMeUBl...=temptthearrow

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeCMscHn...-by=exploreclt

Photo by cj_byers

By ricardogomezzz on Instagram

Yeah. Center city Raleigh doesn’t come close to matching the size center city Charlotte. By a large, large margin. Stick with your lower density version of Ballantyne Aka RTP.[/quote]

Seriously. Try visiting a real major city. You guys sound like bumpkins promoting Charlotte as if it's a major player in the US. It's not!

Raleigh's downtown is comprised of mostly low rise buildings. The last time I checked. Raleigh is the "densest" city in NC. If I went by your trick photography Charlotte and Chicago run neck and neck. If you guys were honest, you'd agree.

Oh, and the fact you guys equate left or right with political votes, speaks volumes about University system there. Sad, but true...

Try working on the schools instead of Nascar museums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina