Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2018, 05:52 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:

There are some surprising finalists and surprising omissions. Columbus and Indianapolis, and to a lesser extent Nashville, stand out as surprises on the short list. Surprising omissions include Charlotte, Minneapolis, Detroit, Baltimore and St. Louis. In my view, this might mean that Amazon's first take took into account economic strength and balance, and workforce access and attraction factors, and put livability characteristics up for review in the next stage. The finalists may just beat out the omitted cities in those areas.

Related to its surprising finalists and omissions, it seems Amazon is resisting the urge to be the singular transformative economic force in its new city. Surprise finalists Columbus, Indianapolis and Nashville (and similarly positioned Raleigh) are each state capitals that have diverse economies and long traditions of attracting well-educated young workers from nearby major universities

for example, the D.C. area was able to put generate three exceptional bid packages, while Minneapolis and Charlotte could not generate one), it's well known that the D.C. area has the economy, workforce and amenities and quality of life characteristics to merit very serious consideration.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/petesau.../#27a1b002ddbb

A not so cynical article.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:57 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
A not so cynical article.
We all know what the national perception of Raleigh as a finalist says there's no need to rub their faces in it though. Especially given the fact that Raleigh has a good chance of winning

Old 01-26-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
We all know what the national perception of Raleigh as a finalist says there's no need to rub their faces in it though. Especially given the fact that Raleigh has a good chance of winning

Did you read it? Raleigh was only mentioned once, and in a flattering way...

Old 01-26-2018, 06:28 AM

It called Charlotte a surprise omission and Raleigh a surprise finalist from what I read maybe I read it wrong

Old 01-26-2018, 07:09 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
It called Charlotte a surprise omission and Raleigh a surprise finalist from what I read maybe I read it wrong
Most of the people writing these articles are basing their assumptions about these cities on information that is publicly available. Amazon made its decision based on a thorough review of information (THAT CHARLOTTE WILLINGLY SUBMITTED TO AMAZON) most of which is not so public...and Charlotte lost.

So what does that say about Charlotte?

Old 01-26-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Most of the people writing these articles are basing their assumptions about these cities on information that is publicly available. Amazon made its decision based on a thorough review of information (THAT CHARLOTTE WILLINGLY SUBMITTED TO AMAZON) most of which is not so public...and Charlotte lost.

Have you not read my comments about Charlotte versus the triangle when it comes to Amazon I don't think you have. Guys like you make it very difficult to defend the triangle or to say nice things about it check yourself. You just called me out and the City of Charlotte when I was actually trying to defend the triangle against another Charlotte poster READ

Old 01-26-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:

That Charlotte doesn’t fit Amazons needs for their secondary HQ. Isn’t Raleigh supposed to be a tech hub?

Why are you so obsessed with Charlotte? Is that your benchmark for a great city to aspire to be?

There were 20 other cities that made the list and 200 that didn’t. Or is keeping up the only thing that matters to you?

I’ll be in Raleigh today, for what it’s worth. Any recommendations while in downtown?

Old 01-26-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
That Charlotte doesn’t fit Amazons needs for their secondary HQ. Isn’t Raleigh supposed to be a tech hub?

Why are you so obsessed with Charlotte? Is that your benchmark for a great city to aspire to be?

There were 20 other cities that made the list and 200 that didn’t. Or is keeping up the only thing that matters to you?

I’ll be in Raleigh today, for what it’s worth. Any recommendations while in downtown?
Obsessed? Why would anyone in their right minds be obsessed with a city that can't even bother to have their officials proof a promotional video before it's sent to one of the largest companies in the world for one of the biggest economic development opportunities of the century?

Maybe you should try to read between the lines here and consider the message that is being sent. Charlotte and its people think so highly of themselves, and it definitely shows, while the rest of the country sees it for nothing more than it really is. That video was nothing more than a freudian slip (know what that means?)

Do you think Atlanta cares about Charlotte? Do you honestly think that Raleigh cares??? These two cities are going about their business doing their thing and focused on the next round of Amazon's competition, while Charlotte is stuck in the mode of trying to figure out why no one loves them as much as they love themselves.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Obsessed? Why would anyone in their right minds be obsessed with a city that can't even bother to have their officials proof a promotional video before it's sent to one of the largest companies in the world for one of the biggest economic development opportunities of the century?

Maybe you should try to read between the lines here and consider the message that is being sent. Charlotte and its people think so highly of themselves, and it definitely shows, while the rest of the country sees it for nothing more than it really is. That video was nothing more than a freudian slip (know what that means?)

Do you think Atlanta cares about Charlotte? Do you honestly think that Raleigh cares??? These two cities are going about their business doing their thing and focused on the next round of Amazon's competition, while Charlotte is stuck in the mode of trying to figure out why no one loves them as much as they love themselves.

I didn’t say Raleigh. I said you.

Why are YOU obsessed.

I already noticed parking is super cheap in downtown Raleigh. Like 4x more. Makes me nervous there won’t be any spots to park that cheap.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
I didn’t say Raleigh. I said you.

Why are YOU obsessed.

I already noticed parking is super cheap in downtown Raleigh. Like 4x more. Makes me nervous there won’t be any spots to park that cheap.
Read back through my posts in this thread and you'll easily see why I'm NOT obsessed with Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina