Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 05:42 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
"Weez not bumpkins!" "Weez sitty fok! Hilarious. Charlotte is nice for what it's worth.
I was briefly there this weekend and you gotta give it to them. They are trying very, very hard.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:48 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
I was briefly there this weekend and you gotta give it to them. They are trying very, very hard.
They are. Still bumpkins though. I appreciate the place. Apparently the Charlotte posters don't. Raleigh is a great alternative.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:50 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,755 times
I find the people in Raleigh like percent growth when it makes Raleigh looks good.
I find the true growth is the number that a city grows by.
I find Forbes looks at Raleigh percent growth that blows the lid off North Carolina that it is one of the fast growing cities in the USA.
The truth is charlotte gain more than twice as many people as Raleigh, but Forbes does not print that.

So much for Forbes accolades.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
I find the people in Raleigh like percent growth when it makes Raleigh looks good.
I find Forbes looks at Raleigh percent growth that blows the lid off North Carolina that it is one of the fast growing cities in the USA.
The truth is charlotte gain more than twice as many people as Raleigh, but Forbes does not print that.

Are you familiar with analyzing statistics?

Old 02-07-2018, 06:29 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post

It’s not about twisting stats it’s just simply that when people or these articles talk about “fastest growing” they are almost always talking about the percentage. It’s fastest growing relevant to the cities size.

For example using the website you provided.

From 2016 to 2018 Charlotte grew by roughly 31k people. From 2016 to 2018 San Antonio grew roughly 49k people. But Charlotte has the higher percentage growth so therefore many would say and likely there’s been plenty of articles that have said, Charlotte is a faster growing city (I’m just using San An as a example of course). That’s simply all it is when talking about Raleigh growing faster. It is, just relative to its size not in total number.

Now obviously I know everyone gets stuck on Raleigh vs Charlotte but in my eyes it should always be Triangle vs Charlotte since then at least the geographic size is closer. When looking at it that way, Raleigh added about 18k people from 2016 to 2018. Durham added about 11k. So combined about 29k people. Then let’s say we add Cary to that. I don’t have the exact growth numbers but let’s assume from past indications it grew by 6k people from 2016 to 2018. Then looking at the land area totaled you could say...

35k people vs 31k people from 2016 to 2018
311mi vs 297mi

Very rough numbers and this wasn’t supposed to be some boost to say “see Raleigh does grow faster!” It was just simply to show that metro to metro things are probably pretty close even down to raw numbers. And further on my point that Charlotte and Raleigh are just in different circumstances. Charlotte is the center of its region where as Raleigh is an anchor to its region but also has a lot of other cities that people live in while still probably having a relationship with Raleigh.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:10 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
I’d hate to know the opinions about the other cities in N.C. with some of you, lol

Poor Greensboro & Winston.

There really should be a thread triangle vs. triad. Populations are similar, all have soul & character. I’m curious what separates them.

I’d say those regions have more in common than with CLT

Old 02-07-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I’d hate to know the opinions about the other cities in N.C. with some of you, lol

Poor Greensboro & Winston.

There really should be a thread triangle vs. triad. Populations are similar, all have soul & character. I’m curious what separates them.

I’d say those regions have more in common than with CLT

Yeah the Triangle isn't 2.1 million people, with the smallest geographic land mass of all three. Stop it. You sound so desperate.

The Triad is definitely an alternative to the Triangle or Metrolina btw.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:39 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,755 times
Quote:
Are you familiar with analyzing statistics?
2 college semesters of statistics.

And I think many people do not understand statistics.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:52 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,815 times
2018 we’re looking at what? maybe Charlotte 2.7m, Triangle 2.3m maybe, and Triad 1.7m or so? So theres anywhere from about 400k-600k gap between each. I would say that seems about right tho obviously Charlotte and Triangle will quickly widen that more. All 3 are great for NC though and pretty much just comes down to preference or job field.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:18 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,439 times
Quote:
They are. Still bumpkins though. I appreciate the place. Apparently the Charlotte posters don't. Raleigh is a great alternative.
When i'm in Raleigh it just feels like the people who live there are happy, love life, and like living in that city. When in Charlotte, people overall seem hateful, unhappy, and discontent with their lives. But that's just my perception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina