Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2018, 10:29 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
My first time visiting Center City by car, I was very much lost. In fact, I found myself driving around in circles. Charlotte cannot be compared in our grandchildren's lifetimes with Philly. Philly is basically NYC light...
I first drove into Center City when I was ~19, which was long before anyone thought of GPSs. I've never driven in circles unless I was looking for a parking spot. It's the big MidAtlantic city. Nothing more or less. No relationship to NYC.

Charlotte has taken ideas from Atlanta & the MidAtlantic cities, & blended them. That makes them their own.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:28 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
So is Raleigh. In downtown Raleigh tonight versus traveling back to Durham...dead as hell but so much potential. There just isn't a part of downtown buzzing with activity...it was Wednesday and wet so I'll give it a break. But I am down here a lot, and it just doesn't have the center city buzz of Charlotte. Again, PNC would have helped...all up and down Glenwood, Fayetteville St., warehouse area, etc and it's still kind of just, Raleigh. Hopefully some of the new development, etc will boost activity. Raleigh has good bones, but still some ways to go before graduating out of the overgrown Greenville/Kinston feel.

I think both downtown Charlotte and Raleigh could use a large water feature.
I drove through Charlotte on a Wednesday night in September at midnight and there were about 5 cars on the road as I cut straight through from I-85N through downtown (another suggestion for Charlotte because "uptown" has negative connotations of pretentiousness, etc) and towards the East & Kelly Picklerville.

I shot video of the gorgeous skyline starting West of Downtown.

I sent it, proudly, to one of my close friends in LA, he's lived in Cali his whole life.

His response was, "Where is everybody?" He, whether conscious of it or not, expected butt loads of cars that the world associates with a skyline like that.

Even Atlanta's night life is dead Mon-Wed.

You know, many people in America's world cities were upset when Atlanta was picked for the '96 olympics. You will not see that in the Triangle.

They thought it would embarrass the US.

I remember on Murphy Brown, she was throwing darts at the announcement pasted to her dartboard.

Remember as you're basking in how much more sophisticated Charlotte is than those small Eastern towns that:

!) Charlotte region consumes more ketchup and SPAM than anywhere else in 48 contiguous states.

2) Go to Zaksby's East of UNCC and you'll see customers wearing new blue overalls and none are even remotely attractive.

3) NC's western parts are way more redneck and Appalachia than Eastern NC's hog farmers, lol.

4) The Triangle has no association with SC whatsoever and it might be mentioned once a year on the local news, which includes 3 Virginia counties in its viewing area.

5) Rolls Royce dealership in Raleigh. Charlotte is the premiere shopping destination for the Carolinas though, but it's like Atlanta where stores are serving the entire Southeast probably more than Atlanta residents.

6) Charlotte frequents Myrtle Beach, noooo one in the Triangle does.

7) NASCAR and its fans embody redneck, and you cannot argue otherwise.

If the criteria y'all use was really important to you, you would move to another city where those aspects are in abundance and you wouldn't be on here so much.

And lastly, having lived in NYC and LA for 10 and 5 years respectively as well as Boston, New Jersey, Georgia and being a Traingle native....

People in LA and NYC do not EVER disparage other places at all. They respect everywhere else and if they're thinking less than complimentary things about other places, they don't speak them.

So that is a highly recommended big-city behavior you should consider.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:42 PM

7 posts, read 5,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I drove through Charlotte on a Wednesday night in September at midnight and there were about 5 cars on the road as I cut straight through from I-85N through downtown (another suggestion for Charlotte because "uptown" has negative connotations of pretentiousness, etc) and towards the East & Kelly Picklerville.

I sent it, proudly, to one of my close friends in LA, he's lived in Cali his whole life.

His response was, "Where is everybody?" He, whether conscious of it or not, expected butt loads of cars that the world associates with a skyline like that.

You know, many people in America's world cities were upset when Atlanta was picked for the '96 olympics. You will not see that in the Triangle.

I remember on Murphy Brown, she was throwing darts at the announcement pasted to her dartboard.

Remember as you're basking in how much more sophisticated Charlotte is than those small Eastern towns that:

!) Charlotte region consumes more ketchup and SPAM than anywhere else in 48 contiguous states.

2) Go to Zaksby's East of UNCC and you'll see customers wearing new blue overalls and none are even remotely attractive.

3) NC's western parts are way more redneck and Appalachia than Eastern NC's hog farmers, lol.

4) The Triangle has no association with SC whatsoever and it might be mentioned once a year on the local news, which includes 3 Virginia counties in its viewing area.

5) Rolls Royce dealership in Raleigh. Charlotte is the premiere shopping destination for the Carolinas though, but it's like Atlanta where stores are serving the entire Southeast probably more than Atlanta residents.

If the criteria y'all use was really important to you, you would move to another city where those aspects are in abundance and you wouldn't be on here so much.

And lastly, having lived in NYC and LA for 10 and 5 years respectively as well as Boston, New Jersey, Georgia and being a Traingle native....

People in LA and NYC do not EVER disparage other places at all. They respect everywhere else and if they're thinking less than complimentary things about other places, they don't speak them.

Fair and Accurate assessment. I must say I agree.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:47 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Lolz. I wasn’t going to comment on anything. But I have to know...

So on a Wednesday night, You were driving down I85, decided to get off and take I77 to I277, drive through uptown and take a picture to show how small it was, then get back on 277, 77 and then 85 and proceeded on you way?

And where were these 5 cars? I can tell you... there is plenty of cars on I77 even at midnight... Do you mean uptown? Again. Especially along Trade/Tryon/College. There’s more than 5 cars on any given Wednesday night.

(You guys do realize some of us live here? As in we are here... literally everyday unless traveling)

And please. People from NYC/Jersey and LA are savage. I would add Baltimore/DC in there too. Completely savage people. LA is the standard bearer of pretentiousness.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 02-08-2018 at 02:05 PM..

Old 02-08-2018, 01:57 PM

749 posts, read 1,316,840 times
I think what we can all take away from this thread is that poor little ol' Raleigh is upset that this country bumpkin, spam eating, SC associating, nascar watching, western carolina redneck, myrtle beach goin' city of Charlotte STILL manages to outgrow the enlightened and holy city of Raleigh. What a shock it is to them. sorrynotsorry.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Lolz. I wasn’t going to comment on anything. But I have to know...

So on a Wednesday night, You were driving down I85, decided to get off and take I77 to I277, drive through uptown and take a picture to show how small it was, then get back on 277, 77 and then 85 and proceeded on you way?

Ok. I get it. Raleigh is bigger than Charlotte and bigger is better.

Thats what I gather from the meltdowns happening.

You can continue saying how much bigger Raleigh is than Charlotte now.

And please. People from NYC/Jersey and LA are savage. I would add Baltimore/DC in there too. Completely savage people. LA is the standard bearer of pretentiousness. I have many
They absolutely are. Lol I was in LA once and a guy cursed me for just bumping into his car. A miner fender bender I might add. Bananas!

Charlotte seemed just a smidge larger than Raleigh when I travelled there in back in 2016

Old 02-08-2018, 02:00 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Wait...who in God's name is actually keeping tabs on something like this? LOL I'd love to see a source on this.

Quote:
The Triangle has no association with SC whatsoever and it might be mentioned once a year on the local news, which includes 3 Virginia counties in its viewing area.
What's your point here? This is simply a matter of geography.

Quote:
Charlotte frequents Myrtle Beach, noooo one in the Triangle does.
So do Canadians. And Ohioans. And plenty of other people from other states. Myrtle Beach gets over 18 million visitors annually (imagine how much higher it would be if it had direct interstate access) and has some of the best golfing on the East Coast. Charlotteans also frequent Charleston which has an argument for being the most sophisticated city in the Carolinas.

Quote:
You've GOTTA be kidding me. Either you think the term "flyover country" is one of endearment or that it originated among the residents of St. Louis or something.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Wait...who in God's name is actually keeping tabs on something like this? LOL I'd love to see a source on this.

What's your point here? This is simply a matter of geography.

So do Canadians. And Ohioans. And plenty of other people from other states. Myrtle Beach gets over 18 million visitors annually (imagine how much higher it would be if it had direct interstate access) and has some of the best golfing on the East Coast. Charlotteans also frequent Charleston which has an argument for being the most sophisticated city in the Carolinas.

You've GOTTA be kidding me. Either you think the term "flyover country" is one of endearment or that it originated among the residents of St. Louis or something.
I doubt his post meant to assert any negative connotations.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:07 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howabouthat View Post
I doubt his post meant to assert any negative connotations.
You'd be a party of one.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:21 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:

Actually, the "Where is everybody?" was snark.

Have you never heard people in NYC mention NJ or Philadelphia? You must have, in 10 years, & it's not nice when they do. The reason that PPD had a court room put in the old Vet was the NY fans coming down & running their mouths to get a fight going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina