Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 06:38 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times

Advertisements

I think CLT covers Eastern NC better than RDU.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:39 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGuyTravels View Post
Oh woe is me, always the hub, never the destination!

Both cities have reasons they have certain assets. RDU has the education and government jobs because it’s the capital and the powers that be want UNCH to reign supreme... CLT has glitzy towers because of banks and loads of flights because it’s a great hub.

But I don’t know how many times it can be repeated that CLT is a big airport. It’s probablg several per page

Old 02-21-2018, 07:26 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Both cities have reasons they have certain assets. RDU has the education and government jobs because it’s the capital and the powers that be want UNCH to reign supreme... CLT has glitzy towers because of banks and loads of flights because it’s a great hub.

But I don’t know how many times it can be repeated that CLT is a big airport. It’s probablg several per page
I hope Charlotte can keep up with all of the Dollar shuffling antics lately, nothing is sacred. Flights will not save Charlotte economically, so all that glitters isn't gold...

RDU has an amazing economic engine, we can't refute that. I hope Charlotte hangs in there for the years to come, technology, education, and politics dominate economic versatility.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
I hope Charlotte can keep up with all of the Dollar shuffling antics lately, nothing is sacred. Flights will not save Charlotte economically, so all that glitters isn't gold...

RDU has an amazing economic engine, we can't refute that. I hope Charlotte hangs in there for the years to come, technology, education, and politics dominate economic versatility.
Once there is evidence of slipping away, maybe we can start the “hope CLT” hangs in there.

Our economy is on fire. It’s pretty much the same growth as Raleigh which is pretty
Impressive considering Charlotte’s #’s are generally more than double since it’s split from Durham so percentage changes are a larger raw number for CLT.

Headlight Data | Fastest Growing Large Metro Economies Of 2016 Are Grand Rapids, Orlando, Nashville; Slowest Are Oklahoma, Houston, New Orleans
In 2016, U.S. employment grew 1.7%. Among large metros, the highest growth is found in Grand Rapids (4.4%), Orlando (4.2%). Nashville (4%), Charlotte (3.7%) and Salt Lake City (3.7%) follow. Other large metros with rapidly growing economies are Riverside, Raleigh and Jacksonville.

Four large metros have shrinking economies. The greatest employment decline is found in Oklahoma City (-0.8%). Houston (-0.3%), New Orleans (0.2%) and Pittsburgh (0.1%) follow.

Side note: before Harvey, Houston has been slipping economically. And before Harvey, the housing markets were dipping. Houston seems to be the only southern boomtown sputtering. Also snubbed by HQ2 for both Dallas and Austin

Another:

Quote:

1.) Austin
2.) Charlotte
3.) Denver
4.) Seattle
5.) Nashville
6.) San Jose
7.) Miami
8.) Oakland
9.) San Fran
10.) Raleigh
11.) Atlanta

https://wallethub.com/edu/fastest-growing-cities/7010/

Another

Quote:

Fastest growing by MSA (same period as the one above. Slightly different criteria)

1.) Ft. Myers, FL
2.) Orlando, FL
3.) Provo
4.) Daytona, FL
5.) Jacksonville, FL
6.) Sarasota, FL
7.) Seattle
8.) Tampa, FL
9.) Portland
10.) Salt Lake
11.) Boise
12.) Miami, Fl
13.) Ogden
14.) RDU
15.) Melbourne, FL
16.) PHX/Vegas
18.) Lakeland, FL
19.) CLT
20.) Nashville
21.) Atlanta
22.) San Jose
23.) Denver
24.) Dallas

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...ties-2017/amp/

My point is, Raleigh & Charlotte are always amongst the top for growth. Economically and population. Some measurements tilt it CLT, some RDU. But CLT nor RDU are in any risk of slipping. Ironically after Charlotte underestimated RDU, I think some of you underestimate CLT’s economic growth after RDU was outperforming Charlotte briefly during the recession.

Now I’m interested in reading about Houston’s decline. Even before Harvey. Gonna go do that

Old 02-21-2018, 08:11 PM

81 posts, read 158,801 times
Quote:

CLT just needs like 10 Chick-fil-a's or something. I absolutely hate morning flights that go through it since there's a hundred foot line to get something cheap and hot to eat in the morning.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:12 PM

743 posts, read 826,233 times
Quote:
My thoughts exactly. Logistics play much more of a vital role than the City of Charlotte's municipal attributes. It's an Airline hub.
CLT is transfoming into a 24/7 logistics hub, it could one day have over 12 million sq ft of commercial space on airport owned land

Old 02-21-2018, 08:24 PM

Sort of on topic... metro LA has more people than NC or GA plus nearly an entire Charlotte metro with a few thousand to spare. Geez. More than double ATL’s metro #’s. Or the 5th largest state behind Texas, Cali, New York & FL.

Obviously knew LA was big and #2. Just never thought of it in terms relative to other east coast cities.

Metro São Paulo is just slightly less populated than N.C. & GA combined

Old 02-21-2018, 08:59 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,838 times
Quote:
Sort of on topic... metro LA has more people than NC or GA plus nearly an entire Charlotte metro with a few thousand to spare. Geez. More than double ATL’s metro #’s. Or the 5th largest state behind Texas, Cali, New York & FL.

Obviously knew LA was big and #2. Just never thought of it in terms relative to other east coast cities.

I doubt it could be larger including the entire Charlotte metro. Metrolina is the sole primary city in the Appalachian region or possibly the entire southeastern United States.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:20 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times
A major indicator of a city’s economic strength and stability is the presence of Fortune 500 operations. The Fortune 500 list is compiled each year by Fortune magazine by ranking the previous year’s annual revenues of large national and multinational corporations headquartered in the United States. Revenue does not have a direct relationship with profits or market value, but the list is a quantitative symbol of the scope, power and size of a particular company. Because Fortune does not include companies that do not file financial statements with government agencies or companies incorporated outside of the U.S., large corporations like Compass Group, Hendrick Automotive Group, Ingersoll Rand and National Gypsum Company are excluded from the list.

The companies on the Fortune 500 list represent an array of industries. They are also structurally diverse, ranging from partnerships and alliances to multiple business entities. It is no surprise that metro areas find it attractive to recruit these companies’ headquarters due to the potential capital and labor investment and the extent of secondary investment. These headquarters also give global recognition to a city as a major center of business activity and contribute greatly to corporate giving for arts, education and cultural amenities in an area.

https://charlottechamber.com/clientu...une500List.pdf[/SIZE]

Old 02-21-2018, 09:20 PM

81 posts, read 158,801 times
Quote:

Los Angeles also has over 300 planned towers over 20 floors, of which more than 70 of them are above 30 floors and 7 are more 60 or more stories tall. I was just in South Park/LA Live area and it's more impressive than anything going on in North Carolina. About 6 towers going up at the same time, side by side, just in that tiny area alone.

The brand new 1,100 foot Wilshire Tower is quite nice too.

The new Ram/Charger stadium is looking to be one of the most impressive stadiums in the world.

George Lucas as pledged to spend a billion dollars to build his art museum in LA.

In the time it took Charlotte to finish the blue line, Los Angeles has been chugging alway building 60 miles of light rail including the all new Gold Line and extending the Expo Line all the way to the beach and currently blasting through Beverly Hills and Century City at a very rapid pace. By 2024 it should have built more than 100 miles of light rail since 2004.

Los Angeles is on steroids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina