Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2016, 11:00 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,577 times

Advertisements

The suburbs give Atlanta a ton of problems. The restrictive annexation laws have really hurt that city in some ways. The Atlanta metro area is over 50% of the population and dominates the state, but the City of Atlanta itself doesn't even dominate the metro as most of the wealth lies outside of it. One of the reasons they can't fix their horrible traffic problems is that it's almost impossible to get their suburbs to cooperate, especially the northern ones.

Fortunately in NC our major cities were able to annex their surrounding areas before we switched over to similar restrictive annexation laws. Charlotte/Mecklenburg probably would've found it impossible to pass a sales tax for transit if all the little suburban neighborhoods surrounding the core were their own municipalities.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:41 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Historically the city/suburb relationship in metro Atlanta has been pretty tense, with major regional issues usually having both a significant racial and socioeconomic component to them. Things are starting to change there with respect to transit, with the northern 'burbs in particular being more receptive to MARTA rail these days.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:51 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,423 times
http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...473&j=73030992

Charlotte came in a respectable 22nd. Just in case you were keeping score

Old 05-11-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post

What surprises me is that Durham came in at 42. Usually Raleigh and Durham are really close together in these rankings, for obvious reasons.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What surprises me is that Durham came in at 42. Usually Raleigh and Durham are really close together in these rankings, for obvious reasons.
I think it's silly to rank Raleigh and Durham separately. I think you can't get an accurate view of any area with a city by city comparison. Especially the Triangle. Both Raleigh and Durham are great cities. That being said,neither will ever truly stand alone. A fact that doesn't bother me one bit. I've seen a few people from Raleigh that don't agree. Mostly Durham posters though. Tired of being the "little brother" I imagine? Which is understandable. While understandable it will always be the case,at least in our lifetimes.

One good thing about Durham. It doesn't get lumped in with Raleigh. When the foolish state government dose something stupid. Something that seems to happen weekly.

As we all know. There are benefits and drawbacks to being the Capital city. It's not feeling so beneficial these day

Last edited by Atowwn; 05-11-2016 at 10:40 AM..

Old 05-11-2016, 10:36 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It shouldn't surprise you. Crime rates and college education are usually the main factors behind these silly rankings. If metro Charlotte were only Meck and Union counties, Charlotte would be at the top too. AND if Raleigh/Durham were counted as one metro (instead of two) Raleigh/Durham would rank in the 20s.

Think about it, Raleigh/Cary started making the top of these type of lists as soon as the metro was split in 2003. What Raleigh lost in population, it gained in statistical gerrymandering. Shhhhhhhh, don't tell that to the Ra-ra-raleigh boosters......

Old 05-11-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
It shouldn't surprise you. Crime rates and college education are usually the main factors behind these silly rankings. If metro Charlotte were only Meck and Union counties, Charlotte would be at the top too. AND if Raleigh/Durham were counted as one metro (instead of two) Raleigh/Durham would rank in the 20s.

Think about it, Raleigh/Cary started making the top of these type of lists as soon as the metro was split in 2003. What Raleigh lost in population, it gained in statistical gerrymandering. Shhhhhhhh, don't tell that to the Ra-ra-raleigh boosters......

Now you usually want to do a straight comparison Charlotte vs Raleigh? When it doesn't come out your way,oh they didn't include Durhamlol!!!!!

Lots of what ifs in your post there. I have a what if for you. Pick a standard and stick to it. Stop gerrymandering your opinion to fit today's position

So the next time you post a pic of the Knights stadium. Then I post a pic of the DBAP,remember this conversation,ok? Also the next time you speak of ALL Charlotte has to offer(often not all in Charlotte). Then I come back with almost if not equal offerings in the Triangle. Please remember this conversation

I know you'll try to forget,but I'll remind you,ok

One last thing,if Ranked together Raleigh/Durham would rank in the 20's? That's where Charlotte came in,correct? I'll stop there. I think you know where I'm going

Old 05-11-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post

It surprises me because in the past, both Raleigh and Durham would rank high in these sorts of rankings, very near each other and the crime/educational attainment stats haven't changed much in recent years. Although the rankings are a dime a dozen these days, I don't think they're silly per se. And I think job growth, income levels, and unemployment rates are a much bigger factor than crime in most of these rankings.

As far as Raleigh making these lists starting in 2003, it should be noted that that is around the same time that many of the most popular rankings came into existence. Two of the oldest rankings are Forbes and Milken, and both have ranked the old Raleigh-Durham MSA in older rankings that are accessible online.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:52 PM

464 posts, read 523,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post

Another day another slay!

Go Raleigh!!

Lol!

Old 05-23-2016, 02:12 AM

464 posts, read 523,368 times
Default The Triangle vs.The Charlotte Area

Which is more important in NC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina