Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2017, 02:12 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Peronally, if I could move anywhere in the US, it would be to a bigger city that ranks lower than Charlotte, if ranking at all, on your list, Miami! I love, love miami. Other choices: DC, Philly, NYC
Agreed. Cities like LA and New Orleans would be on my list and they hardly top these "best of" rankings.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:43 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Where do Raleigh people go mountain hiking? I guess they head out to Boone? Maybe the Uwharrie Forest over by Albermarle to get some elevation at Mount Morrow?
Hanging Rock is 1:40 away.

We have Occoneechee Mountain right here. A range of foothills similar to the Uwharries (or maybe part of them?) extends into Orange and Durham County.

Eno River State Park has some cliffs/hills and a few relatively obscure waterfalls.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:54 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,688,665 times
How lovely! Thank you for sharing! I love North Carolina. We are truly lucky to live in such a beautiful state with diverse terrain from mountains to the Piedmont to the beaches. I think it is great we have multiple metro areas too and aren't a one city state like Georgia, Illinois, or Colorado. It makes it fun to travel and see new things. While we may compete, North Carolina is truly thriving because our the innovation and strength of our cities that compliment our stunning rural / nature areas.

NORTH CAROLINA 4 LIFE

Old 02-16-2017, 03:17 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
How lovely! Thank you for sharing! I love North Carolina. We are truly lucky to live in such a beautiful state with diverse terrain from mountains to the Piedmont to the beaches. I think it is great we have multiple metro areas too and aren't a one city state like Georgia, Illinois, or Colorado. It makes it fun to travel and see new things. While we may compete, North Carolina is truly thriving because our the innovation and strength of our cities that compliment our stunning rural / nature areas.

NORTH CAROLINA 4 LIFE
Absolutely. The natural beauty in the Piedmont is underrated. It's tucked away in nooks and crannies that are hard to find sometimes. I consider myself very lucky to have grown up in one of the most beautiful states in the country.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:05 PM

464 posts, read 522,837 times
This is still going on? Lol

My simple question is why isn't Charlotte bigger?

The Triangle (and Triad) are still major forces in NC.

I think Charlotte is (seemingly) underrated because it's dominance is (truthfully) overrated.

It will never be the it area in NC.

It's lacking in personality, and prestige.

All those tall buildings, and it's still on par with Raleigh/Triangle.

We're almost 60 pages in guys!

Will Charlotte ever be the new Atlanta?

I guess we will know in a century... exciting times!!!

Old 02-17-2017, 07:14 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
What you call toys are the amenities that numerous great cities around the world have. As for the vehicle tax bill, your wife could've easily relocated to Fort Mill and still would've had Charlotte's amenities nearby. In Fort Mill, she also would not have to worry about annual vehicle inspections. Cheaper gasoline is in Fort Mill as well. If York county was in NC, it would be the most populated suburban county in the state (Durham and Forsyth counties are not suburban counties).

As for the rest of your post, why not enjoy our warm weather for this time of year in NC? Go out with the wife and kids, take some pics, and share them if you wish. This past Sunday, I had a blast bike riding through Southend, uptown, and Dilworth with my sons. On that day I came across pick-up football and pickup basketball; total strangers just having fun in the center of Charlotte.

According to you, scenes like the ones above are places that everyone is taxed for, but they aren't allowed to enjoy it. It doesn't look that way to me....

Just as side note, this(better city park(I know it is on the way) is one thing Raleigh Does need, Charlotte's Romare Bearden and even Greensboro's City Center & Lebuaer Park are awesome city parks but right now Raleigh has no equivalent, though near by Pullen Park and JC Raultson Arboretum are nice, it will be even better once Moore Square gets rolling.

My wish list is that they add a large water feature maybe something similar to what's at the Tobacco campus in Durham but larger

Old 02-17-2017, 10:11 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,337,485 times
Not to get off-topic, but downtown Greenville, SC has an amazing water feature. Something like Greenville's would be nice in NC's major cities.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Not to get off-topic, but downtown Greenville, SC has an amazing water feature. Something like Greenville's would be nice in NC's major cities.
Yeah very few cities have an actual waterfall smack dab in the middle of their downtown.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:55 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,524,628 times
Quote:
Greenville's "water feature" is a real river albeit enhanced, but an actual river. Not many cities have rivers that bisect their downtowns.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Greenville's "water feature" is a real river albeit enhanced, but an actual river. Not many cities have rivers that bisect their downtowns.
The river itself is unimpressive and is more akin to Little Sugar Creek. The impressive part is the natural waterfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.