Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2017, 07:30 PM

265 posts, read 269,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Lowest Urban Densities in New Hampshire and the South

America
That is a really good website/blog. I recommend for anybody that haven't checked it out already.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:22 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenguista View Post
I'm not angry. You replied to my post saying the numbers were "pointless" and then gave some senseless reason as to why you think the numbers are pointless.

I could care less about Raleigh being a peer to Charlotte. What I do care about is false statistics. I also find it entertaining that some people on here talk about Charlotte like it's the southern version of NYC, when in reality it's one of the least dense large cities in the country. There's nothing wrong with that at all, but let's get real here.
I agree, let's keep this thread real (and on topic)...

Raleigh
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...30&oe=5978A5B7

Charlotte
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...eb&oe=597BD2B5

If you really want to compare urban Raleigh to urban Charlotte, you can start with the links above. Urbanized area stats contain too many census blocks that aren't urban at all.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:26 PM

Both cities are sprawling surburbia. Once again, you miss my point. It's like arguing who's the tallest midget.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Both cities are sprawling surburbia. Once again, you miss my point. It's like arguing who's the tallest midget.
The most popular neighborhoods for young professionals in Charlotte are neither sprawling nor are they suburban. As a matter of fact, 3 of them are transit oriented neighborhoods. Say what you want, but nobody is moving to Raleigh in search of the apartment closest to the light rail stop and the arena/stadium.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:18 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,412 times
It is projected that if Charlotte maintains its present growth pattern, it will go over 1 million by 2024 or 2025. Then will Charlotte be consider a big city?

By 2020 Charlotte will be over 920,000.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
It is projected that if Charlotte maintains its present growth pattern, it will go over 1 million by 2024 or 2025. Then will Charlotte be consider a big city?

By 2020 Charlotte will be over 920,000.
By 2020, Charlotte will have 23 miles of rail transit, 45 buildings above 250-ft tall, and nearly 2.7 million people within the metro. Currently, Charlotte's metro gdp is 3rd in the southeast (behind only Atl and Miami). Clt metro gdp is 21st in the Nation (ahead of cities such as Austin, Vegas, Orlando, Tampa, Pittsburgh, and St Louis). If you drove from Miami to Philly, Charlotte would be the largest concentration of high rise apartments and offices along the way (assuming that you took I-26 to I-77 off of 95). The reality is that Charlotte is a decent sized mid-major city with some big city amenities.

However, if you're looking for validation of that fact from people who are tired of hearing about Charlotte, dream on. It's NOT going to happen. Charlotte could run a subway system under uptown and there will still be folks out east who will insist that Charlotte is "trying to be something that it's not". The inferiority complex towards Charlotte is real and well documented in this thread. It is what it is....

Old 05-04-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
By 2020, Charlotte will have 23 miles of rail transit, 45 buildings above 250-ft tall, and nearly 2.7 million people within the metro. Currently, Charlotte's metro gdp is 3rd in the southeast (behind only Atl and Miami). Clt metro gdp is 21st in the Nation (ahead of cities such as Austin, Vegas, Orlando, Tampa, Pittsburgh, and St Louis). If you drove from Miami to Philly, Charlotte would be the largest concentration of high rise apartments and offices along the way (assuming that you took I-26 to I-77 off of 95). The reality is that Charlotte is a decent sized mid-major city with some big city amenities.

However, if you're looking for validation of that fact from people who are tired of hearing about Charlotte, dream on. It's NOT going to happen. Charlotte could run a subway system under uptown and there will still be folks out east who will insist that Charlotte is "trying to be something that it's not". The inferiority complex towards Charlotte is real and well documented in this thread. It is what it is....
It's the very selective scenarios and data that you 2 use that make it so insufferable. The biggest city between 2 bigger cities if you only take this road and this road. Selective stats and opinions with no context or real meaning. Charlotte's GDP is exactly where it should be for it's population. It's selective info and data written like it's supposed to be a great thing, but it has no special merit. If you want to compare GDP per capita, then the Triangle is a more affluent region. Raleigh and Charlotte's GDP per capital are essentially the same and around the US average. Durham/Chapel Hill is near the very top in the nation. This is why I respond to these posts as it's akin to false news.

But what people really take offense to is the whole "Charlotte is a real city, Raleigh is not", "look at our buildings" "Charlotte is metropolitan big city, Raleigh is a collection of college towns". I don't know how many threads I've seen with ridiculous over-generalizations when a potential resident is comparing Charlotte and Raleigh to move to.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:34 AM

The reason why you see that trend in so many threads is because there is an element of truth behind those posts. There are threads in the Triangle forum where honest Triangle posters have made similar comments after a recent visit to Charlotte. Look back on this thread; I've quoted a few of those posts already.

If many people honestly see Charlotte as being more city-ish than Raleigh, you taking offense to it will not change their minds.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
The reason why you see that trend in so many threads is because there is an element of truth behind those posts. There are threads in the Triangle forum where honest Triangle posters have made similar comments after a recent visit to Charlotte. Look back on this thread; I've quoted a few of those posts already.

If many people honestly see Charlotte as being more city-ish than Raleigh, you taking offense to it will not change their minds.
Once again you fail to see the point in my comments which is perplexing to me. Uptown Charlotte is definitely more of a city. I don't think anyone would dispute that. It's the wild over-generalizations between the 2 areas that are tiring to defend.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Once again you fail to see the point in my comments which is perplexing to me. Uptown Charlotte is definitely more of a city. I don't think anyone would dispute that. It's the wild over-generalizations between the 2 areas that are tiring to defend.
How is what I stated yesterday different from what you've stated above?

Quote:
Here's the bigger issue (and the reason why I called your post pointless in the first place). The vast majority of Sunbelt urbanized areas are anything but urban. That goes for Dallas, Houston, Austin, Charlotte, Orlando, Raleigh and on down the line. When it comes to urbanized sunbelt midsized cities, it's all about the center city neighborhoods. And that my friend is where Raleigh comes up short when compared to Charlotte.
The only correction I'd make to your comment is that Center City Charlotte (not just uptown) is more of a city than Raleigh. Center City Charlotte includes many neighborhoods that are dense, surround uptown, but are not located in uptown. Southend, Midtown, Wesley Heights, Dilworth, Cherry, Elizabeth, Plaza Midwood, Villa Heights and a few others are often considered parts of central Charlotte.

However, with the rapid expansion of Charlotte's light rail (and the development that's following the line) I don't expect any of the comments above to remain true in 10-15 years. I honestly believe that Charlotte's built-environment will distance itself away from Raleigh, Greensboro, etc in the years to come. To some extent, it's already happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina