Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2017, 07:30 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,417,998 times

Advertisements

Population Of Charlotte 2017
Charlotte Population 2017 – 859,452 (estimated)
In 2020 Charlotte should roll over to 900,000 plus.

Charlotte is the biggest city of North Carolina. It is the region seat of Mecklenburg County and the second biggest city in the southeastern United States, simply behind Jacksonville. Charlotte is the third quickest developing city in the United States.

Population Of Charlotte 2017

Last edited by CLT1985; 05-28-2017 at 07:58 PM..

Old 05-28-2017, 09:49 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,504,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
I'm not bragging about Charlotte's highways at all, however Charlotte does have 2 true beltway's. By the way transit DOES create development. That is exactly what TOD is. I actually am on the board for Greensboro Transit Authority and we are discussing this very same thing right now. I don't think you understand that at all. By the way ALL big cities have flaws. No city is perfect.
I've been on this forum for a while. Posted on 3 or 4 different Charlotte vs Raleigh threads. I've never seen any other charlatan claim Charlotte has two beltways. So your bs is original at least. TOD Transit oriented development. Where in the name dose it say anything about creating anything? It changes development patterns yes,creates nothing sorry!! The triangle is developing just as much and as fast. Just in a different some may call it sprawl. It's about the amout of people coming in. That's what drives development,tod or otherwise.

More than 20 failing schools isn't a flaw,it's a disaster!!!!

CLT1985 the reason people don't respect Charlottes population numbers is simple. While the numbers are true,850,000 or so. When you annex nearly the entire county to get those numbers. It leaves a bad taste in most people's mouths. Kinda like Barry Bonds and the home run record. Yes he has the record. Nevertheless many people don't consider it legitimate. There will always be an asterisk in many people's mind. Same with Charlottes population numbers. Basically they cheated to get inflated numbers. It certainly didn't happen thru natural growth patterns. You guys may not like it but those are the facts.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:31 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,663,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I've been on this forum for a while. Posted on 3 or 4 different Charlotte vs Raleigh threads. I've never seen any other charlatan claim Charlotte has two beltways. So your bs is original at least. TOD Transit oriented development. Where in the name dose it say anything about creating anything? It changes development patterns yes,creates nothing sorry!! The triangle is developing just as much and as fast. Just in a different some may call it sprawl. It's about the amout of people coming in. That's what drives development,tod or otherwise.

More than 20 failing schools isn't a flaw,it's a disaster!!!!

CLT1985 the reason people don't respect Charlottes population numbers is simple. While the numbers are true,850,000 or so. When you annex nearly the entire county to get those numbers. It leaves a bad taste in most people's mouths. Kinda like Barry Bonds and the home run record. Yes he has the record. Nevertheless many people don't consider it legitimate. There will always be an asterisk in many people's mind. Same with Charlottes population numbers. Basically they cheated to get inflated numbers. It certainly didn't happen thru natural growth patterns. You guys may not like it but those are the facts.
My point exactly. Charlotte is cool, but no where near where these posters make it out to be. It actually makes Charlotte seem lame. NC cities are not metro powerhouses. Lets be honest. Come back in 20-30 years at least. However DC and Atlanta are near by.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:12 AM

742 posts, read 818,091 times
FWIW all the towns in Mecklenburg agreed years ago give each other territory outside their jurisdiction to control & annex at some point. No city is going to invest in infrastructure & not get a return. Charlotte just took advantage of the laws in place at the time.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:40 AM

7,052 posts, read 12,270,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
FWIW all the towns in Mecklenburg agreed years ago give each other territory outside their jurisdiction to control & annex at some point. No city is going to invest in infrastructure & not get a return. Charlotte just took advantage of the laws in place at the time.
The land area argument is silly for several reasons. One main reason is Charlotte's airport. Most cities have their airports located outside of city limits. Clt is only 7 miles west of uptown. The 25 sq miles that surround Clt is pretty-much rural. It's not easy selling a house that's 1 mile away from the world's sixth busiest airport by take-offs/landings.

Another reason why land area is silly has to do with built-environment and metropolitan area. Even if Charlotte were a 50 sq mile city of 250,000 (yes, Charlotte's density would be 5,000 ppl/sq mile if the city limits were that small) it would still have NC's largest GDP, largest MSA, largest visitor spending, largest skyline, largest mass transit system, etc. In other words, Charlotte's status of being NC's largest city has nothing to do with the city's land area and population. Several other factors is what makes Charlotte #1 in NC.

Lastly, there's the fact that Charlotte isn't even close to being the largest land-grab in the south and the US. 26 other US cities have more land area than Charlotte. Jacksonville, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, Nashville, Memphis, Louisville, Augusta, Kansas City, Indianapolis, OKC, Austin, and several others have larger land areas than Charlotte.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...cities_by_area

The truth is that Charlotte didn't annex in order to "cheat" (only an idiot with an inferiority complex would think that). Charlotte annexed so that THE CITY has control over as much growth and land-use (surrounding uptown) as possible. Charlotte is a better city today for having control over areas that would otherwise be a large competing suburb. If Charlotte didn't annex, we would have 3 Cary-sized suburbs to deal with.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
The land area argument is silly for several reasons. One main reason is Charlotte's airport. Most cities have their airports located outside of city limits. Clt is only 7 miles west of uptown. The 25 sq miles that surround Clt is pretty-much rural. It's not easy selling a house that's 1 mile away from the world's sixth busiest airport by take-offs/landings.

Another reason why land area is silly has to do with built-environment and metropolitan area. Even if Charlotte were a 50 sq mile city of 250,000 (yes, Charlotte's density would be 5,000 ppl/sq mile if the city limits were that small) it would still have NC's largest GDP, largest MSA, largest visitor spending, largest skyline, largest mass transit system, etc. In other words, Charlotte's status of being NC's largest city has nothing to do with the city's land area and population. Several other factors is what makes Charlotte #1 in NC.

Lastly, there's the fact that Charlotte isn't even close to being the largest land-grab in the south and the US. 26 other US cities have more land area than Charlotte. Jacksonville, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, Nashville, Memphis, Louisville, Augusta, Kansas City, Indianapolis, OKC, Austin, and several others have larger land areas than Charlotte.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...cities_by_area

The truth is that Charlotte didn't annex in order to "cheat" (only an idiot with an inferiority complex would think that). Charlotte annexed so that THE CITY has control over as much growth and land-use (surrounding uptown) as possible. Charlotte is a better city today for having control over areas that would otherwise be a large competing suburb. If Charlotte didn't annex, we would have 3 Cary-sized suburbs to deal with.

300 sq miles? Sorry Charlotte isn't dense, so get over it. If you're looking for a "big" city, then move to a real one. NC cities aren't that. Your bragging points are very weak and make Charlotte come off as country and podunk to be honest. Neither of these cities are that impressive in comparison to Real cities. They just are what they are. Charlotte isn't the second largest area in the south, so stop that. Under the many layers of new development, social issues in both cities still suck. Botth are overrated.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
300 sq miles? Sorry Charlotte isn't dense, so get over it. If you're looking for a "big" city, then move to a real one. NC cities aren't that. Your bragging points are very weak and make Charlotte come off as country and podunk to be honest. Neither of these cities are that impressive in comparison to Real cities. They just are what they are. Charlotte isn't the second largest area in the south, so stop that. Under the many layers of new development, social issues in both cities still suck. Botth are overrated.
Bless your little heart Lol. Raleigh will get there. Be patient. That new 22 story office building downtown is a good start.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Bless your little heart Lol. Raleigh will get there. Be patient...
I could care less to be honest. DC is up the road, when I want to get my big city on. Raleigh and Charlotte are just cool laid back cities. Both had more flavor back in the day though. I miss some of that.

The rivalry is like a midsize version of Houston and Dallas-Fort Worth.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
I could care less to be honest. DC is up the road, when I want to get my big city on. Raleigh and Charlotte are just cool laid back cities. Both had more flavor back in the day though. I miss some of that.

The rivalry is like a midsize version of Houston and Dallas-Fort Worth.
I too enjoy visiting large cities. However, I also appreciate having big city amenities in the city I call home. Have you ever been on Charlotte's light rail during special events or rush hour?

During rush hour, CIAA, Thanksgiving day parade, Panthers home games, speed street, July 4th, New Years, Hornets home games, and several other occasions; that's what it's like on Charlotte's LYNX. Add to that the dense development that begins near New Bern Station (and Charlotte's tall skyline) and you have a "big city" experience here in NC.

I think anyone who visits Charlotte should start their tour with a light rail ride from Scaleybark Station to uptown. Soon, I'd be suggesting a light rail ride from Scaleybark to 36th street in Noda. In the years to come, that will be the most urban 7 mile stretch in NC.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:44 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,417,998 times
The Cushman & Wakefield reports for 1st quarter 2017

Office Space
Charlotte MSA 103,549,959 sq. ft.
Raleigh-Durham-Orange 51,290,602 sq,ft.

Warehouse space
Charlotte MSA 181,031,478 sq.ft.
Raleigh-Durham-Orange 47,040,337 sq. ft.

So Raleigh can go head to head with Charlotte on Offices and warehouses

Last edited by CLT1985; 05-29-2017 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina