Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 11:31 PM

4 posts, read 4,675 times

Advertisements

You guys are right though, I'm here for the degree and to create a better path for my future, not to mess around. It's been a rough year for me so I lost sight of what's actually important, I think I am going to remain where I am
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 05:24 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,406,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buudism View Post
You guys are right though, I'm here for the degree and to create a better path for my future, not to mess around. It's been a rough year for me so I lost sight of what's actually important, I think I am going to remain where I am
Base your decision on facts, not our feelings. It's hard, but emotionally-based decisions are not always the best ones. And remember, your college experience will be over before you know it.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:37 AM

6,323 posts, read 5,412,200 times
Quote:
In all seriousness though man; depression is a very really thing and again, VERY common when in college. There is counseling available for all students and I'd take advantage of it if you are still feeling the same way next semester.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:36 AM

3,066 posts, read 4,803,787 times
I think the OP is just describing the difference between going to school in a big city compared to going to a school in a college town...it really is a night and day difference.

If he decides he wants a more college town feel, then he should go. In terms of Engineering, no one will argue that State has a really good program.

My advice would be to head on down to Greenville whenever you get the chance...but focus on your studies during the week in Raleigh.

As for ECU, they have plenty of good programs as well...and they don't mind having a good time when they are in school either...which is no different than many big time Universities that are located in college town environments.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:58 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,152,764 times
I graduated from State.

It's the most difficult school in the state to get a degree from, and it's tough for a reason. You'd do well to stick it out if you can... But at the end of the day a degree from ECU is worth more than no degree. and magna *** laude from ECU is better than ho-hum grades at State. You have to examine your ability and state of mind. If your unhappiness may impeded your ability to graduate with good grades, change it if you can. If you can plow through and apply your best effort despite your social discomfort you'll be better off roughing it out.

Good luck, I can sympathize with your plight. I made my best friends the summer after my first year when I started looking for internships in my field. Before that I was in a bit of a funk myself. It got better. It turned into pure awesome, matter of fact.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:40 AM

6,323 posts, read 5,412,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I think the OP is just describing the difference between going to school in a big city compared to going to a school in a college town...it really is a night and day difference.

If he decides he wants a more college town feel, then he should go. In terms of Engineering, no one will argue that State has a really good program.

My advice would be to head on down to Greenville whenever you get the chance...but focus on your studies during the week in Raleigh.

As for ECU, they have plenty of good programs as well...and they don't mind having a good time when they are in school either...which is no different than many big time Universities that are located in college town environments.
No offense, just my personal opinion after spending a year there...but Greenville sucks.

While I find a lot of NCSU sports fans and school cheerleaders annoying; it is no doubt a better school than ECU and Greenville really isn't that great of a college town. The part about NC State being the most difficult school in NC to get a degree from is pretty ridiculous; but yeah it is definitely a tier up from ECU.

I don't think it is urban vs college town or what have you. The Hillsborough Street area is very much "college town"...it just happens to be located near the downtown of a largerish city. It sounds like OP is having a rough time with the transition to the college social life in general. Which is nothing to feel ashamed of and again something that more people who through than are willing to admit. I applaud OP for being able to discuss his concerns (it's especially more difficult for males, as I know from experience) but I think changing schools for the reasons he's described here would be a little too drastic. I'd encourage him to reach out to the universities student counseling services.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 04-11-2016 at 12:06 PM..

Old 04-11-2016, 04:15 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,475,870 times
NC State is the much better school for engineering as well as being in a far better metro with way more to do. Comparatively speaking, Greenville and the surrounding area is very boring. Graduating from NC State you would also have more employers from the local area recruiting you and offering jobs in your senior year. You should probably join more clubs and initiate conversations with classmates rather than switching schools to be around friends. I think you would regret it in the long run if you switched to ECU.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:13 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,736,735 times
Quote:
What do you guys think I should do?
We don't know you and we aren't the ones who should be counseling you! Talk to your counselor at school, your parents, your friends, etc who know you and can help you come to terms with what's best for you. But if you want to study Engineering, you will do better at NCSU--I don't think ECU even has an Engineering school. Maybe you could study Math there and get a Masters in Engineering somewhere else?

Old 04-12-2016, 10:16 AM

3,066 posts, read 4,803,787 times
ECU does now have engineering...much more limited than NCSU's offerings though.

Home | Department of Engineering

Old 04-12-2016, 08:39 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,241,461 times
My first year of college wasn't good. Away from home for the first time, not sure what I wanted to do, not that good at making new friends, etc. I'm glad I stuck with it because when I started getting deeper into classes (instead of just super-fast overview 101 courses) I started liking the material better.

Take a look at counseling at the school. Take a look at the activities offered. Hang out at the student union? If you have a frisbee or hackeysack head out to a green space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina