Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 06:09 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,101,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm a heterosexual female boomer. I'm not bothered by trans women in the ladies rooms with me. I am bothered by trans men in the ladies rooms with me. Why? Because I don't know if the trans man is a trans man or a pervert. Do you get that concept? Is that difficult for you to understand? You have been giving a harangue about the feelings of people like me. You are not speaking for me or many people like me. The NC legislature did not pass a law that makes me feel safe. They passed a law that makes me feel unsafe. Do you comprehend that?
Don't bother. The supporters of HB2 will feel the impact of HB2 in due time. Only thing that makes a GOP supporter flinch is if it impacts their wallet.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:13 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,828,369 times
Quote:
I'm a heterosexual female boomer. I'm not bothered by trans women in the ladies rooms with me. I am bothered by trans men in the ladies rooms with me. Why? Because I don't know if the trans man is a trans man or a pervert. Do you get that concept? Is that difficult for you to understand? You have been giving a harangue about the feelings of people like me. You are not speaking for me or many people like me. The NC legislature did not pass a law that makes me feel safe. They passed a law that makes me feel unsafe. Do you comprehend that?
That is how you feel and your feelings should be understood and respected. I certainly respect and value your opinion on the matter. Other heterosexual females have stated other feelings and those should have also been understood and respected, but they were not by so many. They were vilified and called awful names. Why can't we be open to what everyone has to say and how they feel? Why the need to vilify and name call people who may think differently than us?

Old 04-18-2016, 08:57 PM

238 posts, read 335,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Top location of "HB2" searches via google. HB2, the bill that threw North Carolina into Recession.

Volume Index:

United States: 100
Brazil: 76
Canada: 53
United Kingdom: 48
Germany: 31
This HB2 S###T IS GETTING SCARY!!

Old 04-19-2016, 07:47 AM

5,915 posts, read 6,397,511 times
Quote:
And had the Charlotte ordinance been passed, then you would have dealt with that "trans" man in the ladies room. What you just said is the same exact argument that those who agree with HB2 have been saying.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:37 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,427,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
And had the Charlotte ordinance been passed, then you would have dealt with that "trans" man in the ladies room. What you just said is the same exact argument that those who agree with HB2 have been saying.
When the trans person appears to be a woman I don't care. When the trans person looks like a man, I do care. what part of that don't you understand?

Old 04-19-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
When the trans person appears to be a woman I don't care. When the trans person looks like a man, I do care. what part of that don't you understand?
I understand it completely. I think you're the one who isn't quite grasping it. Had the Charlotte ordinance been passed, then all transgenders in that city would have had their choice of bathroom. Which includes that "trans" man that you would not feel comfortable with seeing in the ladies room. Do you not understand what transgender really means? It is much more inclusive than simply transsexuals. It includes a wide variety of people all under the transgender umbrella - even some you would never consider to be transgender. Having said that, then any man who considers himself transgender, who obviously wouldn't pass as a woman, would have been free to use the ladies room.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:06 AM

37,793 posts, read 41,479,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I understand it completely. I think you're the one who isn't quite grasping it. Had the Charlotte ordinance been passed, then all transgenders in that city would have had their choice of bathroom. Which includes that "trans" man that you would not feel comfortable with seeing in the ladies room. Do you not understand what transgender really means? It is much more inclusive than simply transsexuals. It includes a wide variety of people all under the transgender umbrella - even some you would never consider to be transgender. Having said that, then any man who considers himself transgender, who obviously wouldn't pass as a woman, would have been free to use the ladies room.
Theoretically yes, but in practice I don't think much would change. I do think the Charlotte ordinance went a little too far in demanding compliance from private businesses and it probably should have just pushed for the inclusion of unisex public bathrooms, but as it was stated, the bathroom issue wasn't really the worst part of HB2.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Theoretically yes, but in practice I don't think much would change. I do think the Charlotte ordinance went a little too far in demanding compliance from private businesses and it probably should have just pushed for the inclusion of unisex public bathrooms, but as it was stated, the bathroom issue wasn't really the worst part of HB2.
Agreed. That was, really, my whole point in all of this mess. The Charlotte ordinance went too far, and in return, we got the HB2 bill, which went too far in other regards as well.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:48 PM

398 posts, read 493,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
You and many are missing or skipping the point that the NC state constitution does NOT allow Charlotte to pass such an ordinance. That is why HB2 was required, as poorly written as it was.

Are you aware that the Charlotte ordinance was not allowed?
There's actually nothing in the state constitution that supports your position. Its NC General Statute 160A that places restrictions on the powers of cities. And, the restrictions in 160A are not as clear cut as you say. In fact, it reads:

"Under this delegation a city or a county may, by ordinance, “define, prohibit, regulate, or abate acts, omissions, or conditions detrimental to the health, safety, or welfare of its citizens and the peace
and dignity of the City or County.""

Thats big enough to drive a truck through. Thus the "need" for HB2.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:58 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,439,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
There's actually nothing in the state constitution that supports your position. It is actually NC General Statute that places restrictions on the powers of cities. And, the restrictions in 160A are not as clear cut as you say. In fact, it reads:

"Under this delegation a city or a county may, by ordinance, “define, prohibit, regulate, or abate acts, omissions, or conditions detrimental to the health, safety, or welfare of its citizens and the peace
and dignity of the City or County.""

Thats big enough to drive a truck through. Thus the "need" for HB2.
Good Find Lucky Dawg! Sounds like the city council and Mayor Roberts might be justified in formulating the Charlotte ordinance. You're certainly right about the inherent vagueness of that General Statute. Sounds like an ocean liner could fit through it as well! That makes the vindictive nature of the GA seem even more apparent if they had to act so quickly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina