Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 06:12 AM

459 posts, read 375,991 times

Advertisements

So I'm proud of my conservative state in that way.

Destroy political correctness

Old 04-14-2016, 08:11 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I second that opinion! "Pat the Airhead" has got to go and ...if a few of the local yokel RWNJs can be sent packing, so much the better!! There are too many politicians in this state that are a few sandwiches short of a picnic in the brains department, and when they open their mouths, damage the image of NC. It's time to stop the stupidity!!
Emissary, do you know if Berger will have a Democratic opponent in November?

Old 04-14-2016, 08:42 AM

398 posts, read 498,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
He does not:

http://www.co.rockingham.nc.us/docview.aspx?docid=43576

Old 04-14-2016, 09:58 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Vote. Get others to vote too. This is the ONLY way this changes. Even then, with the gerrymandering, I'm not certain a dent can be made in the representation. Even somewhat "fair" districting would be an improvement.
We can win the statewide races at least. Also, very important... if we get a majority on the state Supreme Court, then we CAN do something about the gerrymandering.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:04 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times
"RALEIGH, N.C. — Singer-songwriter Cyndi Lauper says her June 4 show at Raleigh's Duke Energy Performing Arts Center will be turned into a "day to build public support to repeal HB2," and she says she'll donate all the proceeds from her concert to Equality North Carolina"
Read more at Cyndi Lauper says proceeds from Raleigh show will support repeal of HB2 :: Out and About at WRAL.com

Old 04-14-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
Thanks.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:26 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
The last five years have just been miserable. Are you feeling the same way? I still love North Carolina, but this is just getting to be too much.
It is tough to see this beautiful state being defiled. But hang in there. HB2 is the best present the state could've possibly given democrats for November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
I'd have to disagree. I think Virginia is now the most progressive state in the South by a country mile.
That's debatable. Their government is less bad currently, and Virginia has voted more democratic in recent presidential elections, but the democrats that NC has are more progressive. Bernie Sanders put in by far his best showing in the south in NC, for instance.

There are interesting demographic forces at work in NC. The polarization between young and old voters is higher than almost any other state. Because of this, the effect of getting good vs bad youth turnout is like comparing the 2004 and 2008 elections here, (or the 2010 and 2014 midterms vs 2012). Youth turnout has an exaggerated effect. Hence why the general assembly has tried to suppress that voting demographic.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:39 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It's sad that so many political contests in NC have seats with no opposition. That, to me, is proof of the effectiveness of gerrymandering that has reached art form status in this state and has been practised to a fare-thee-well by both parties. I'm glad Lucky Dawg had the answer for that one! I had no idea.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:45 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudduck View Post
So I'm proud of my conservative state in that way.

Destroy political correctness
I'm all about destroying political correctness. The general assembly convening essentially in the dark of night after surely some illegal plans to overturn duly elected officials decisions to promote discrimination is just as bad.

And people like to point at gerrymandering as the source of all election issues, but no one complained for decades when democrats gerrymandered the same way. Even the ridiculous district causing most of the commotion was a democratic construction to help the power of a certain segment of voters. I bet the democrats wished they'd taken the republicans up on their offers to crest a redistricting Commision now.

But most of the problem it seems now is the rural/urban divide. Those of us in the counties around The Triangle, Charlotte and the Triad are outnumbered 80-20 at least on a county basis. The rural legislators will do all they can to suck the producers dry and they are jealous of success here. If they can't have it they will tear it down. And since the majority of the rural county dwellers are quite "conservative" they will pander to that to stay in power.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
It's sad that so many political contests in NC have seats with no opposition. That, to me, is proof of the effectiveness of gerrymandering that has reached art form status in this state and has been practised to a fare-thee-well by both parties. I'm glad Lucky Dawg had the answer for that one! I had no idea.
I was just curious. Tim Moore has no opponent but the last time that he did, that person might as well have not run, & Democrats of all stripes are alive & well here. The Democratic who last lost was more conservative than Tim Moore.

I'm starting to see HB2 as karma coming home to roost for McCrory. I was wondering if it would bite Berger in the butt, too.

Last edited by southbound_295; 04-14-2016 at 11:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina