Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 12:48 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,704,526 times

Advertisements

I graduated from ECU. I knew a ton of students from Maryland and Virginia. Most said they attended ECU because the tuition was cheaper than what it would have cost in their own states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 06:11 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,775,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I graduated from ECU. I knew a ton of students from Maryland and Virginia. Most said they attended ECU because the tuition was cheaper than what it would have cost in their own states.
They must have been comparing ECU to private schools, because in-state schools are pretty reasonable in both Virginia and Maryland compared to out-of-state in other states.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:15 PM

241 posts, read 338,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
That doesn't surprise me at all. It's a big school. Easier to get into than UNC or NCState. Makes sense that kids in the eastern part of the state who want to stay close to home would go there. It's got a big time sports program (more so than UNC-W, which is also in the eastern part of the state) so that always gets a lot of people excited.

I do find it surprising that folks from the Northeast come to ECU. I think of it as more of a regional school, but I guess my thinking is outdated.
As a proud ECU alumnus, I can tell you that I'd never seen so many NJ, NY, PA license plates as when I moved to G-Vegas. I thought it particularly odd considering I'm from Winston-Salem, a much larger and ostensibly more diverse community than anything in rural NC. I remember the students saying that Northeast colleges aren't only more competitive, but they're much more expensive. It was cheaper for their parents to pay out of state tuition than to pay in-state tuition in the Northeast which is indicative an unsettling trend when it comes to funding one's post-secondary education.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:22 PM

277 posts, read 435,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nita0312 View Post
As a proud ECU alumnus, I can tell you that I'd never seen so many NJ, NY, PA license plates as when I moved to G-Vegas. I thought it particularly odd considering I'm from Winston-Salem, a much larger and ostensibly more diverse community than anything in rural NC. I remember the students saying that Northeast colleges aren't only more competitive, but they're much more expensive. It was cheaper for their parents to pay out of state tuition than to pay in-state tuition in the Northeast which is indicative an unsettling trend when it comes to funding one's post-secondary education.
I had the same findings as an undergrad. Many of my classmates were from the northeast corridor. In grad school I found that almost all were from NC. Not exactly what I expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina