U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 07:59 PM

7,874 posts, read 8,816,823 times

Advertisements

Take away the crime and Fort Bragg for a moment.

Geographically it's boring and according to this, it's where the hottest temperature in State history was recorded. Sure the Sandhills region has golf, but if you want golf you're going to Pinehurst and not Fayetteville.

No disrespect intended towards Fayetteville State, but it's not one of our better universities, and our state has several good ones, both private and public. Better than nothing? Sure, but you're probably better off taking the Community College route.

There is a river running on the edge of downtown. There is opportunity to do something with this. Yet Fayetteville hasn't taken advantage of it. Not that having a river walk with bars and restaurants is going to instantly improve Fayetteville, but it would be steps in becoming a more attractive place to live and would give the economy a bit of a boost. I am 99% certain if Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, or Winston-Salem had a river on the edge of Downtown, those cities would capitalize on it in a heartbeat. I know someone is going to critique this but the point stands, it's like the city would rather add more strip clubs and fast food chains than trying something different with a natural feature the Piedmont cities would love to have.

In general, cities that are home to military bases are not the best of places to live. Some are different but those cities tend to have some sort of saving grace like being the State Capital and/or having a major university in town. Columbia SC is a good example of this, so the job and economic opportunity is more plentiful. Fayetteville however is basically the epitome of nothing right and everything wrong, and therefore is not a desirable place to live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 09:13 AM

983 posts, read 3,681,669 times
You can find plenty of "clean" entertainment, if you bother to look for it and participate in it. The Dogwood Festival is this week. Our local minor-league ice hockey team is in the playoffs. There's also Methodist University, which has the top Professional Golf Management program in the county and several really good athletic teams. They also have lots of cultural activities on campus, which are open to the public. And this is just what popped off the top of my head....I could put some effort to it and list lots more.

I've lived here my whole life--almost 45 years--have never been a victim of violence or crime. Have never dated a soldier. Use any common sense caution you would anywhere else---lock your doors/car, keep your head up and eyes open, and stay out of the bad neighborhoods, and you'll be perfectly OK.

There are plenty of good people in Fayetteville---who are not connected to the military (so we're not ALL here because of Ft. Bragg)---who work hard to make it a nice place to live.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:35 AM

11,905 posts, read 13,064,286 times
I grew up in Fayetteville and up until recently still had relatives living there so I was there very frequently. It just pales in comparison with the other cities in North Carolina of the same relative size. It could be a LOT more than it is. Here's a list of cities in NC by population:

Largest municipalities in North Carolina according to the 2010 census. Also shown is the 2014 Census estimate.[1]

Rank Name Population (2014) Population (2010) Change Type County
1 Charlotte † 809,958 731,424 +10.74% City Mecklenburg
2 Raleigh †† 439,896 403,892 +8.91% City Wake (seat), Durham
3 Greensboro † 282,586 269,666 +4.79% City Guilford
4 Durham † 251,893 228,330 +10.32% City Durham (seat), Wake, Orange
5 Winston-Salem † 239,269 229,618 +4.20% City Forsyth
6 Fayetteville † 203,948 200,564 +1.69% City Cumberland
7 Cary 155,227 135,234 +14.78% Town Wake, Chatham
8 Wilmington † 113,657 106,476 +6.74% City New Hanover
9 High Point 108,629 104,371 +4.08% City Guilford, Randolph, Davidson, Forsyth
10 Greenville † 89,852 84,554 +6.27% City Pitt
11 Asheville † 87,822 85,712 +2.46% City Buncombe
12 Concord † 85,560 79,066 +8.21% City Cabarrus
13 Gastonia † 73,698 71,741 +2.73% City Gaston
14 Jacksonville † 69,047 70,145 −1.57% City Onslow
15 Chapel Hill 59,376 57,233 +3.74% Town Orange, Durham
16 Rocky Mount 56,325 57,477 −2.00% City Edgecombe, Nash
17 Burlington 51,812 49,963 +3.70% City Alamance
18 Huntersville 51,567 46,773 +10.25% Town Mecklenburg
19 Wilson † 49,395 49,167 +0.46% City Wilson
20 Kannapolis 45,245 42,625 +6.15% City Cabarrus, Rowan

Fayetteville does not have as much good stuff as Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Cary, High Point, Greenville, Asheville, Concord, Gastonia, Jacksonville, or Chapel Hill. It's better than Rocky Mount, a city a quarter of its size.

My mom got excited a few years ago when Panera came to town. That's the kind of excitement that Fayetteville has. It's got a small town level of fun and cool stuff and a bigger city level of crime and poverty.

There are some really nice people there and some nice parts of town, but it could be so much more. It's intellectually way under-stimulating. You can have fun if you live there, but there just isn't as much good stuff going on as there is in other cities of the same size.

Last edited by poppydog; 04-22-2016 at 07:56 AM..

Old 04-22-2016, 08:35 AM

199 posts, read 244,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
You can find plenty of "clean" entertainment, if you bother to look for it and participate in it. The Dogwood Festival is this week. Our local minor-league ice hockey team is in the playoffs. There's also Methodist University, which has the top Professional Golf Management program in the county and several really good athletic teams. They also have lots of cultural activities on campus, which are open to the public. And this is just what popped off the top of my head....I could put some effort to it and list lots more.

I've lived here my whole life--almost 45 years--have never been a victim of violence or crime. Have never dated a soldier. Use any common sense caution you would anywhere else---lock your doors/car, keep your head up and eyes open, and stay out of the bad neighborhoods, and you'll be perfectly OK.

There are plenty of good people in Fayetteville---who are not connected to the military (so we're not ALL here because of Ft. Bragg)---who work hard to make it a nice place to live.
Do you live in Moore County, NC Harnett County, NC or Hoke County, NC I think you live outside of Feytteville, NC or Outside Fort Bragg.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:38 AM

11,905 posts, read 13,064,286 times
What LRoyal says is true, if you're doubting it, RNGAnderson.

It's just that all of those things she listed are small town activities. You could find that kind of stuff in Wilson for example, which also has a small private college (Barton College), small festivals (Whirligig Festival), close to minor league sports (the Carolina Mudcats 5 county stadium is 30 min away), but has a population of 45,000 to Fayetteville's 200,000.

For its size, Fayetteville underperforms. There is some stuff to do, and there are plenty of chain restaurants and movies and shops that you would find in any city, but there's little vibrancy or uniqueness or much of anything that is "cool" for lack of a better word. It has the fun-quotient of a town of 50,000, but the downside (crime, economic challenges, bad parts of town) of a town of twice its size. Look up the crime data.

But like I said, there are good people there, and it is what you make of it.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:06 PM

983 posts, read 3,681,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNGAnderson View Post
Do you live in Moore County, NC Harnett County, NC or Hoke County, NC I think you live outside of Feytteville, NC or Outside Fort Bragg.
I live in Cumberland County. Have been here my entire life. To "go to town" is to go into Fayetteville....to shop, school, doctors, dining out, etc. And I have lived IN the Fayetteville city limits.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:53 AM

5,179 posts, read 3,778,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
It's just that all of those things she listed are small town activities.
Agreed!

Fayetteville is the ninth largest metro in the Carolinas, if you rightfully combine the seperated MSA's in Upstate SC, the Triad, and the Triangle. In two states that are exploding with growth, of the ten largest Carolina cities, Fayetteville has the second-lowest population growth rate since 2010, with a growth of only 2.76% in five years. Similarly, Fayetteville has the lowest economic growth since '10--the Fayetteville economy has only grown 1.6%! Fayetteville is the definition of "backwater", and is "behind the times" in measures besides these. Everything that posters have mentioned about the lack of economic diversity, high poverty, and lack of culture that contribute to Fayetteville's issues is correct...

It is a small city, with small-city amenities. The amenities that @lroyal mentioned are not unique to cities of Fayetteville's size. However, I don't think Fayetteville underperforms for its size; it fits in amongst cities of similarly-sized metros. There are millions of people nationwide, though, that are very comfortable with what Fayetteville offers, and thousands of Fayetteville residents that love it. Those people, much like @lroyal, enjoy Fayetteville and don't want a bigger city, and there's nothing wrong with that...

The city is crime-infested, but it has a few nicer areas, not nearly enough for its size. Haymount is a lovely neighborhood that really stands out. The McPherson Church corridor south of Morganton is also nice, but those are reallu the only inner-city neighborhoods that are worth noting. There are suburban areas that are nice--Gates Four; the Pine Forest area of Ramsey/Andrews; Hoke Loop; most of Hope Mills; Spring Lake in the Overhills area; and eastern Hoke County. That's it. The standard of living and quality of life are low because the city has essentially nothing driving its economy besides the military...

My girlfriend is from there and I lived there for four years. She prefers the smaller-city lifestyle, rural lifestyle even. Richmond is huge to her, in size and lifestyle and what it offers living here. I enjoyed Fayetteville for a time; I think Hay Street is underappreciated by locals, but its only a block long. The entertainment in Fayetteville is just small and you get outsized quickly if you prefer a faster pace with more options...

Overall, I think Fayetteville isn't as bad as it gets played on here. It isn't for everyone, though...

Old 04-24-2016, 09:05 AM

41,218 posts, read 51,018,129 times
There are some very nice areas in Fay, but you aren't exposed to them on the major roads. I would not want to live there unless I had to, because so much of it is ugly. It does have The Biscuit Kitchen, though, so that is good.
Two of my sons have been stationed at Ft Bragg, but one could afford an upscale neighborhood and his wife was old money Fayetteville, and one lives in Southern Pines, and doesn't go near Fayetteville except to go to the base.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:07 PM

2,328 posts, read 2,128,349 times
...here we go with the weekly Fayetteville bash thread lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
... the whole city is a lost cause.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post

There is a river running on the edge of downtown. There is opportunity to do something with this. Yet Fayetteville hasn't taken advantage of it. Not that having a river walk with bars and restaurants is going to instantly improve Fayetteville, but it would be steps in becoming a more attractive place to live and would give the economy a bit of a boost...
Are developers just in "hands off" mode when it comes to Fayetteville? there's potential there (especially with 200k people), but there has been nothing done to in terms of mixed use...and just... applying 2000's urban planning concepts

What about the city leadership? How can they let the city just rot away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post

Good stuff. the dogwood festival is nice. I was just there today. thoroughly enjoyed it.

And Fayetteville's downtown has an old timey, Mayberry-esque feel but is much more spacious than a small town's downtown. So much potential there, and I don't see that potential being maximized at all. Is there not a downtown marketing group?

What is the Chamber of Commerce doing there? smh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I grew up in Fayetteville and up until recently still had relatives living there so I was there very frequently. It just pales in comparison with the other cities in North Carolina of the same relative size. It could be a LOT more than it is. Here's a list of cities in NC by population:

Largest municipalities in North Carolina according to the 2010 census. Also shown is the 2014 Census estimate.[1]

Rank Name Population (2014) Population (2010) Change Type County
1 Charlotte † 809,958 731,424 +10.74% City Mecklenburg
2 Raleigh †† 439,896 403,892 +8.91% City Wake (seat), Durham
3 Greensboro † 282,586 269,666 +4.79% City Guilford
4 Durham † 251,893 228,330 +10.32% City Durham (seat), Wake, Orange
5 Winston-Salem † 239,269 229,618 +4.20% City Forsyth
6 Fayetteville † 203,948 200,564 +1.69% City Cumberland
7 Cary 155,227 135,234 +14.78% Town Wake, Chatham
8 Wilmington † 113,657 106,476 +6.74% City New Hanover
9 High Point 108,629 104,371 +4.08% City Guilford, Randolph, Davidson, Forsyth
10 Greenville † 89,852 84,554 +6.27% City Pitt

Fayetteville does not have as much good stuff as Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Cary, High Point, Greenville, Asheville, Concord, Gastonia, Jacksonville, or Chapel Hill. It's better than Rocky Mount, a city a quarter of its size.

My mom got excited a few years ago when Panera came to town. That's the kind of excitement that Fayetteville has. It's got a small town level of fun and cool stuff and a bigger city level of crime and poverty.

There are some really nice people there and some nice parts of town, but it could be so much more. It's intellectually way under-stimulating. You can have fun if you live there, but there just isn't as much good stuff going on as there is in other cities of the same size.
Whoa at the underlined. A city with 200k should have had a Panera loooooooooong ago. Says a lot. So telling.

But I think the 200k is misleading because so many are military personnel. But you're right... it could be so more....

it just has been so dreary and aestheticlly unappealing (damn near looks blighted) in the main visible areas for so long, the city has become stigmatized. And those years in the 80s didn't help much for the city's rep either. smh.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:11 PM

7,874 posts, read 8,816,823 times
Quote:
But I think the 200k is misleading because so many are military personnel. But you're right... it could be so more....
It's a much bigger city than it seems. The city annexed a good chunk of Fort Bragg about ten years ago which instantly added some 30-40k residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina