Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Third City of North Carolina--Greensboro or Durham?
Greensboro 50 64.94%
Durham 27 35.06%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 09:14 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
Wait, so you are saying this and you have never been to downtown Durham?

While I don't want to disrespect your bother, it's not even a relevant opinion because downtown Durham in 2016 doesn't even resemble downtown Durham of 2005. I moved here in 2010 and live in the downtown area and even in that time it is staggering how different this city is now from when I moved here.

Come check it out yourself, there is a very lively social scene here. It is not a sleepy bedroom community at all.
I will try to check it out again. I looked at it on google maps street view and the area around the stadium and the new Brightleaf thing looks nice, and the convention center may be the nicest that I've seen.

One thing that I wish they had done is have stores and restaurants closer to and facing the railroad tracks, emphasize the railroad town thing more, make it similar to Southern Pines.

I think given Durham is not a capital city or tourist city or major corporate downtown, and it is off the two main interstates, and people can get to Duke Uni without passing by it, hurts its visibility and perception to outsiders.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:11 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchaser13 View Post
I'd say [Durham] currently has more "momentum" than Greensboro and could overtake the 'Boro definitively in years to come. But I don't think its there now.
Durham's really close... like nipping at G-boro's heels... but momentum is an excellent word.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:19 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
I really don't like these "which is best" threads that devolve the way of the current Raleigh vs Charlotte thread. So in the interest of cooperation and not competition I will say if you haven't been to downtown Durham or downtown Greensboro, do yourself a favor and visit!

Downtown Durham is vibrant and welcoming with its world class performing arts center (one of the top 5 theaters in the country as ranked by Billboard, Pollstar, TripAdvisor, etc), one of the top AAA minor league ballparks in the country, an award-winning historic tobacco warehouse district re-engineered and re-imagined as the American Tobacco Campus, plus great Deco-era architecture downtown, an engaging Durham Arts Council, a fantastic historic theater in the Carolina Theater showcasing amazing musical performers and indie films, a great downtown farmer's market and so many fantastic award winning restaurants it's hard to name them all: The South's Tastiest Town: Durham, NC - Southern Living .

Downtown Greensboro is fun, too. I have not spent as much time there so I will leave to the Greensboro experts to elaborate, but I enjoyed the International Civil Rights Museum. Triad Stage puts on some good shows. There are fun restaurants and breweries (Natty Green's) and some great architecture, too.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:28 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,387,055 times
I'd say Greensboro. while Durham is one of the cities in the Research Triangle, It was mostly a big college city before that.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:41 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
I still tend to go mainly by population, and in that respect it would still be Greensboro. And as previously stated, Greensboro has an independent identity that sets it apart, and in some ways it gets more exposure due to its venues. I know of several large groups that have had conventions in Greensboro at Koury or the coliseum, groups that routinely meet in larger cities; that's not really the case for Durham.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:50 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
The only thing Durham has over Greensboro is murders.

Not even close.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:58 AM

530 posts, read 637,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
The only thing Durham has over Greensboro is murders.

Not even close.
What an interesting post!

I don't care what city you prefer, as I have maintained in this thread there are a lot of reasons someone might pick Greensboro.

But yes Durham only wins in murders. I guess if you ignore the better performing arts scene, more award winning restaurants, better shopping options, a more educated populace, a higher per capita income, a lower unemployment rate, better medical center, a faster growing economy and a faster growing population.

Let's respect both cities, and not make silly statements with no basis in reality.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:44 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
The person who mentioned Wilmington may not be far off...

Wilmington had 262 full service restaurants in 2013 and could arguably be a better foodie scene than either Durham or Greensboro.

Its the hub of a region of about 300K.

Has a major educational component within it...as well as tourist component and supported by a legit downtown. Industrial expansion is continuing as is the service sector and adds in a retirement component within its demographic.

Greensboro would definitely have a more corporate side with its interstate crossroads and Durham has the RTP help....but both are also reliant on their other regional large cities that give them their corporate size and airport size...so it would depend on your criteria. I think if someone just looks at population and other data within the jurisdiction, they may not get an accurate reflection of the "place".

Old 04-25-2016, 09:50 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
The person who mentioned Wilmington may not be far off...

Wilmington had 262 full service restaurants in 2013 and could arguably be a better foodie scene than either Durham or Greensboro.

Its the hub of a region of about 300K.

Has a major educational component within it...as well as tourist component and supported by a legit downtown. Industrial expansion is continuing and is the service sector and adds in a retirement component within its demographic.

Greensboro would definitely have a more corporate side with its interstate crossroads and Durham has the RTP help....but both are also reliant on their other regional large cities that give them their corporate size and airport size...so it would depend on your criteria. I think if someone just looks at population and other data within the jurisdiction, they may not get an accurate reflection of the "place".
In terms of their "corporate size," that's much more true of Durham than Greensboro. Greensboro and Winston-Salem are independent cities with a lot less interdependence than Durham and Raleigh; the latter pair share the region's major economic hub. That dynamic doesn't exist in the Triad.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:55 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
In terms of their "corporate size," that's much more true of Durham than Greensboro. Greensboro and Winston-Salem are independent cities with a lot less interdependence than Durham and Raleigh; the latter pair share the region's major economic hub. That dynamic doesn't exist in the Triad.
I think it absolutely does exist in the Triad. The airport wouldn't be the same if Greensboro was a stand alone without W-S and High Point nearby. The educational situation wouldn't be the same...Greensboro benefits from its proximity to both High Point and Wake Forest. The corporate situation wouldn't be the same because these companies look at the entire region and transportation system when deciding where they are going to go...Greensboro and its demographics definitely benefits from the rest of the Triad's population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina