Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 10:40 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times

Advertisements

Federal judge upholds North Carolina ID law :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 01:10 PM

275 posts, read 330,802 times
TBQH I think this a bigger L than HB2. Yeah HB2 does disenfranchise the LGBT, but this disenfranchise the LGBT, Blacks, poor, old, and a lot of out of state college students. Why the hell we need ID to vote when it was proven that fraud was less than 1% is beyond me.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:26 PM

299 posts, read 249,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
TBQH I think this a bigger L than HB2. Yeah HB2 does disenfranchise the LGBT, but this disenfranchise the LGBT, Blacks, poor, old, and a lot of out of state college students. Why the hell we need ID to vote when it was proven that fraud was less than 1% is beyond me.
Nonsense. How can you possibly survive without an ID? You can't. And if you don't have one you can get one for free.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:35 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2016 View Post
Nonsense. How can you possibly survive without an ID? You can't. And if you don't have one you can get one for free.
When is the last time you were in NC? In fact, there have been news articles with specific stories of people who had an enormously hard time getting their "free" ID, because it requires very specific documents which a lot of people just don't have sitting around.

And some photo IDs that are perfectly acceptable otherwise--like college IDs--have been deemed "unacceptable" by this legislature.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:40 PM

299 posts, read 249,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
When is the last time you were in NC? In fact, there have been news articles with specific stories of people who had an enormously hard time getting their "free" ID, because it requires very specific documents which a lot of people just don't have sitting around.

And some photo IDs that are perfectly acceptable otherwise--like college IDs--have been deemed "unacceptable" by this legislature.
My company sent me from NC to London February 1st. If a person can't get an acceptable ID they have bigger problems going on. To apply for Social Security you need proper ID, banking etc. I don't buy the whining on this nonissue.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:59 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

Let's see. Acceptable documents for obtaining a NC Driver's License or ID:

Proof Of Age & Identity:

1. Driver's License
2. Birth Certificate
3. Original Social Security Card
4. Tax Forms
5. Motor Vehicle's Driver's Records
6. School Documents
7. US Military ID
8. Passport
9. Certified Marriage Certificate
10. NC Limited Driving Privilege
11. US Government Documents
12. Court Documents

Proof of Social Security

• Social Security Card
  • 1099 Tax Form
  • W-2 Form
  • DD-214 Form
  • Payroll Record
  • Social Security Document reflecting the Social Security Number
  • Military Record reflecting the Social Security Number
  • Medicaid/Medicare Card reflecting the Social Security Number
Proof of Residency

• Any document issued by this State or county, city, or the federal government;
  • NC Vehicle Registration Card or title;
  • NC Voter Precinct Card;
  • Military Orders/Documents;
  • Utility bill or cable bill;
  • Housing lease or contract, mortgage statement, property or income tax statement;
  • Preprinted financial statement;
  • School records;
  • NC Vehicle insurance policy;
  • Letter from homeless shelter
Proof of Liability Insurance

1. Form DL-123 from your insurance agent
  2. Vehicle insurance policy reflecting your name and the issue and expiration dates
  3. An insurance binder
  4. An insurance card with your name, the policy number and issue and expiration dates
You mean to tell me that out of all of those documents, there are people who cannot produce four documents to get a North Carolina ID or Driver's License? I find that a little hard to believe.

It's quite easy to obtain a copy of your birth certificate. in fact, I obtained a copy of mine online. So that takes care of the proof of identity.

Proof of SS? Well, If you have worked you have tax documents or a W-2. And if you haven't, chances are you're on Medicaid, so you'd have a medicaid card.

Proof of residency? You probably have cable, so you have a cable bill or an electric bill. If you are homeless, you can get a letter from the homeless shelter.

Proof of insurance? This would be mostly for a driver's license, but you do have to have insurance to drive in every state that I know of. Otherwise, you're breaking the law.

There's four documents right there that most everyone should have if they need to apply for a license. The ID card only needs two forms of identification.

I'm sorry, I just don't buy the idea that people don't have the paperwork needed for an NC ID.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:50 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2016 View Post
My company sent me from NC to London February 1st. If a person can't get an acceptable ID they have bigger problems going on. To apply for Social Security you need proper ID, banking etc. I don't buy the whining on this nonissue.
ROFLMAO! If you want to collect Social Security you need to produce no ID. It can be done online or by phone. All you have to do is know your personal information.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:08 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
It's a shame that their have been a very few cases where some older folks - primarily those that have moved to NC - haven't been able to get their documents in a timely fashion. I believe there's a method for them to still vote, and for that vote to count.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:43 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
I like how in the picture, there is a big poster that says, "NO ID? Request an absentee ballot here today!" I would say North Carolina is a lot easier on people when it comes to voting. In VA, you most certainly have to have ID to vote.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:03 AM

398 posts, read 498,536 times
Odd, conservatives always say they are in favor of less government intrusion in our lives. Well, thats what they SAY. What they actually DO is another story. Whats the definition of "hypocrite"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina