Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 01:09 PM

27 posts, read 39,564 times

Advertisements

I have read about the city and am a little familiar with the crime. It really is a shame as the area ,as a whole, looks very nice and quiet. Please don't sugar coat your thoughts. Give me the good, bad and ugly. Are there sections that you would not go to during daylight/night hours? Why? Any idea how much a 2 bed house rents for in both a nice section and not so nice section of town? Where are these areas? Are they random streets or is there an actual sectiin defined by streets? Is there a shortage of rentals or are alot of them sitting empty? Is there a population looking for safe affordable housing? Or is an old beat up house good enough to rent at a discount? Alot of questions I know. Thanks for your tboughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 05:58 PM

Okay, maybe nobody lives there. In that case I am open to any input from anyone that has any personal knowledge of 5he town.

Thanks

Old 04-26-2016, 07:49 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,627,720 times
The only reason I ever travel to Henderson is the drive-in movie theater. I did a small amount of office work in the town several years ago. I would sum it up as a "depressed small town" from my very limited experience. Would you be moving there for work?

Old 04-26-2016, 09:01 PM

emelvee,

No I was thinking of buying rental property, there are some very inexpensive properties in and around that town that are in need of attention.

That drive in seems to be a big attraction. Did you feel unsafe at anytime while in the town limits?

Old 04-26-2016, 11:22 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
it has a nice downtown area, and a small mall. It kind of looks like a college town, but no college. It would have been cool if NC State had located there.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:20 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,627,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iajet View Post
emelvee,

No I was thinking of buying rental property, there are some very inexpensive properties in and around that town that are in need of attention.

That drive in seems to be a big attraction. Did you feel unsafe at anytime while in the town limits?
Perhaps the drive-in is a big attraction because there isn't much in town. We stay at a second home northeast of Raleigh about one weekend a month, and often drive 50+ minutes to see a movie there.

A lot of the area feels sketchy to me, even during the day. I've never had any issues personally, but I haven't spent much time there.

You might be able to find rental properties that you can fix up and get a good return. I don't know the rental market there. I'm new to the business, having just bought my first rental property last year. I was looking for another property and found it was worth paying a bit more to buy a slightly nicer property in a larger city due to higher rents. For example, I'm in Winston-Salem and can find rental property a little cheaper in Thomasville (about 30 minutes away), but rents are about 1/4 lower in Thomasville for comparable properties. I didn't end up getting a second rental property (well, I did, but I went with an overnight rental property in Pigeon Forge TN).

Old 04-27-2016, 07:08 AM

398 posts, read 497,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iajet View Post
emelvee,

Where do you live? Generally speaking, owning rental property from a distance is not a good plan. And I suspect the reason prices are low is due to very little demand.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:28 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Henderson was home to the headquarters for Rose's Dept Stores. With the decline of Rose's (there are a handful of stores still open) and manufacturing, the city and county have also declined. Henderson has lost population since the 2000 census.

As for the demand for rental property, with Henderson being the county seat of Vance County, there will always be law offices there and others connected to county government. My best advice is to make a personal visit and talk to locals.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:12 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Oh, and one little bit of trivia... Charlie Rose was born and raised in Henderson.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:47 AM

Thanks for the info. I am planning a visit in the coming weeks to view properties and tour the town.

Ben E. King was born in Henderson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina