Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2016, 03:31 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,598,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Do you disagree with the principal of tax decreases? The GOP has decreased the income tax rate. That is what the governor did and is still trying to do. I'm not sure if you are against tax decreases or just complaining that yours wasn't large enough.

As the GOP decreases rates your total taxes paid should fall like everyone else's eventually the rate decrease will overcome your losses from no deductions. Its unfortunate that the deduction you used to take did not offset the lower rate that was enacted.

You should be in favor of decreasing the income tax rate to 0%. We just need spending cuts to do it.

Aren't you for this in principal? I am thats why I support the GOP
You don't even live in this state or deal with its taxes. They cut the rate but did away with all deductions thus my taxable income went up and so did my taxes paid. How hard is this to understand? You can't pay less in taxes but tax revenue goes up it doesn't work.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:51 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
You don't even live in this state or deal with its taxes. They cut the rate but did away with all deductions thus my taxable income went up and so did my taxes paid. How hard is this to understand? You can't pay less in taxes but tax revenue goes up it doesn't work.
Deductions are just a means to control behavior and pick favorites. Why not just provide a reasonable tax rate without requiring certain groups to deduct back some?

The less simple and straightforward the tax code, the more likely it is to be abused.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:55 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Quote:
Public schools should be paid by property taxes funded by each town.

It is not fair to have residents at one end of the state subsidize others. We need a zero percent state income tax and to do that cut all the medicaid and welfare spending.

Get rid of the earned income tax credit if there still is one in NC.

We need more freedom and less taxes
Connecticut Troll!

Old 05-11-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
Deductions are just a means to control behavior and pick favorites. Why not just provide a reasonable tax rate without requiring certain groups to deduct back some?

The less simple and straightforward the tax code, the more likely it is to be abused.
I agree but don't say we paid less in taxes because all data shows we did not.

Want to know who abuses the tax code the most? Hint: it isn't working class people. So they took deductions away from small business and residents but left them for big business. Whoops.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I agree but don't say we paid less in taxes because all data shows we did not.

Want to know who abuses the tax code the most? Hint: it isn't working class people.
Exactly. The wealthy can afford to pay someone to find all the deductions and loopholes. Simplifying makes it an even playing field. Deductions need to be removed across the board.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
Exactly. The wealthy can afford to pay someone to find all the deductions and loopholes. Simplifying makes it an even playing field. Deductions need to be removed across the board.
But that is against the GOP intrest.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:40 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,944 times
Quote:
They are trying to simplify the tax code and reduce rates.

Is it fair if you have a special loophole that lowers your rate more than the next guy? It isn't fair!

A flat tax is fair and liberty is what this country should fight for not handouts.

Dear North Carolina, do any of you still believe in freedom? What kind of state and nation is this?

Old 05-11-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
But that is against the GOP intrest.
Then maybe that can be my one consolation if Roy Cooper gets into office. Unfortunately, I doubt tax reform will be at the top of his agenda.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:13 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,042 times
Quote:
They are trying to simplify the tax code and reduce rates.

Is it fair if you have a special loophole that lowers your rate more than the next guy? It isn't fair!

A flat tax is fair and liberty is what this country should fight for not handouts.

Dear North Carolina, do any of you still believe in freedom? What kind of state and nation is this?
You are ignoring the fact that although the income tax rate was reduced, the legislature added in a bunch of new fees and taxes that effectively raise the overall tax burden for most people, all but the wealthy.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
You are ignoring the fact that although the income tax rate was reduced, the legislature added in a bunch of new fees and taxes that effectively raise the overall tax burden for most people, all but the wealthy.
While I understand that sales tax increases hit the poor relatively hard, the rich consume much more and would, therefore, be paying much more.

I think non-essential items should be taxed more so that income tax can be reduced, if not completely eliminated. Why penalize people for working, when you could penalize over-consumption of non-essentials instead? That would promote reasonable spending habits and even help the environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina