U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2016, 03:03 PM

6 posts, read 5,082 times

Advertisements

In July 2012 my husband of 18 years informed me that he was having an affair and in love with another woman. His lover was also married but in the process of separating from her husband. She had admitted to the affair in court and even gave my husband's name to her husband's attorney. She had no legal representation at that time. My husband was concerned that her husband's attorney or private investigator would contact me and he wanted me not to speak to them.

I decided my marriage was clearly over and I did not get involved in the other couples divorce when contacted. They are now divorced but we are not due to the financial mess that followed and personal issues. We have two adopted children. One is twenty and married. The other is sixteen and has special needs.

My husband has paid very little child support. I have not had the money to hire an attorney to help me with our complex situation. I would like to know if I can get child support for my special needs child for an indefinite time. His needs are so great that he will not ever live on his own. We knew this before the adoption. I had to quit my career to care for the children and my husband was the financial provider for our family.

Any information on how to do this without an attorney would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 03:36 PM

4,138 posts, read 7,621,264 times
I would suggest going to Legal Aid. Click on the link and do a search for the office nearest to where you live.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:14 PM

6 posts, read 5,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I would suggest going to Legal Aid. Click on the link and do a search for the office nearest to where you live.
I have already checked with them and they are not providing services for family law matters due to a shortage of funds. Thank you for the suggestion.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:44 PM

4,138 posts, read 7,621,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osomeday View Post
I have already checked with them and they are not providing services for family law matters due to a shortage of funds. Thank you for the suggestion.
So sorry I don't have any other suggestions...

Old 05-11-2016, 04:47 PM

42,327 posts, read 38,379,476 times
http://www.ncsl.org/research/human-s...for-adult.aspx

Old 05-11-2016, 05:20 PM

319 posts, read 295,790 times
You should not only be able to get child support for your child but also alimony if you had to quit your job to care for the child full time. But you need some legal help.
First, call Social Security/ SSI and make an appointment to get your child qualified for disability. If you still have access to your husband's income and it is reasonable your child will not qualify until that income is gone but if you don't and you are without income or your income is very low, your child will qualify and the payment goes to you until the child is 18.
Next, call the Council for Children's Rights in Charlotte (cfcrights.org). Tell them your child is disabled and needs and attorney as you are divorcing and the child needs full time care that you can no longer provide as you are losing your income source. If they cannot help you, ask them for referrals of attorneys that might be able to help you on a pro-bono (free) basis and start contacting them asap.
You can also call Children's Law Center (childrenslawcenternc.org).

Last edited by seasallyttle; 05-11-2016 at 05:36 PM..

Old 05-14-2016, 08:55 PM

983 posts, read 3,759,920 times
NC Child Support Enforcement in your county will persue this and will not cost you an attorney to persue that. They will provide all of that as part of their service. But child support can only be ordered up to a certain age. You will have to get your child qualified for disability beyond that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: