Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 08:57 PM

45 posts, read 36,018 times

Advertisements

Hello, all! I'm a single 25 year old female born & raised in a small town in New England, desperately needing a change! I'd like to live somewhere that's scenic, laid back, has a lot to do outdoors, has a hometown feel, but still close by to a major city, & is also known for food, music, & preferably sports...what're your suggestions/pros & cons? Also, I do love the change in seasons & I'm a vet tech which isn't exactly a high paying job, but I love what I do! Thank you all in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 07:03 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRhody View Post
I'd like to live somewhere that's scenic, laid back, has a lot to do outdoors, has a hometown feel, but still close by to a major city, & is also known for food, music, & preferably sports...what're your suggestions/pros & cons?
I'd suggest the western suburbs of Charlotte to check most of the boxes. Charlette has a park giving you a simulated experience of whitewater rafting. It also has football and car racing if you like spectator sports. And it is not too far from hiking and fishing areas.

I might also mention Asheville and other small cities in the mountain region, but it would be harder to find a job that pays for the cost of living. (Everybody interested in outdoor recreation and food wants to move to Asheville, and that pushes up housing prices.)

You might also look into a town near Durham. Durham is a foodie city, and has a minor league baseball team.

BTW, what you will miss most about Rhode Island (if you move) is the food: the lobster rolls and the chowder and other wonderful seafood. There are few decent Italian restaurant in NC except the chains.

Please do some reading in the respective forums.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-07-2016 at 07:29 AM..

Old 06-07-2016, 11:27 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Can you tell us why NC is on your radar? I see you've also posted in Colorado. Have you ever been to either state to have a firsthand impression? That is always recommended, especially if you don't even have a city in mind. For NC, it would matter whether you wanted to be closer to the mountains or the coast, among 100 other factors.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Can you tell us why NC is on your radar? I see you've also posted in Colorado.
And the poster in Colorado recommended she look in North Carolina-- heaven knows why. People are like lemmings: "move to North Carolina".

BTW, I am not sure what she means by "laid back". I think she will find that people in small NC towns are religious and judgemental. See especially the votes on gay marriage and the the trans bathroom issues.

Colorado is far more liberal, especially on the recreational marijuana issue. That's my definition of "laid back": the ability to smoke MJ for any reason.

BTW, there aren't any lobsters in Colorado either.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-07-2016 at 11:57 AM..

Old 06-07-2016, 02:01 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
I find people in cities are atheist and judgmental

Old 06-07-2016, 02:46 PM

Haha, I don't smoke so legalization of marijuana does not influence my decision...the people I grew up with & encounter tend to be selfish, shallow, & fake for the lack of a better description. I'd like to find & meet kind, genuine, down to earth people. I'm not high maintenance either, & in terms of what I'm looking for, I'm definitely drawn to the mountains but I have a very versatile personality which is why I'd like to live in an area with a little bit of everything. Smaller town close to a large/major city, live in/near the mountains for hiking & a scenic view, but also have the option of going to the beach, etc. I'm an ambivert, there are times I love doing things on my own, which is why I'd like to live in a state/city that has a lot to do outdoors, but I also enjoy being around others & going out for dinner, drinks, sports events, etc. so nightlife is definitely important as well. Definitely don't want to live in the middle of nowhere. I haven't been to CO or NC, only Charleston SC which was gorgeous. Just trying to narrow down possible locations so I can plan trips & visit before relocating. A few cities in Virginia also appeal to me, thank you all for taking the time to respond!

Old 06-07-2016, 02:48 PM

Nature/my surroundings definitely influences & effects my mood in a positive way.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:13 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
I'd look in Chapel Hill or Carrboro. Good food. Good music. Close to Raleigh. Walkable, relatively. Closer to the beach than the mountains though (save Uwharrie - but I wouldn't recommend a young lady to spend much time there without a group/numbers).

Charlotte is great, but more urban. And the bedroom communities/suburbs tend to trend either as very family-oriented or a little "red", if you catch my drift. NOT that there aren't viable enclaves, I'm just not as familiar with them anymore.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRhody View Post
I'd like to find & meet kind, genuine, down to earth people.
That is true of the North Carolina natives I have met, and they are genuinely friendly. Many will say "Have a blessed day", but few will ask you where you go to church. I would call them "easy-going" rather than "laid-back".

When I was young in the 70's, I always thought "laid-back" was a code word for being stoned and stretched out on the couch. Maybe it has lost that connotation by now.

BTW, you should realize the North Carolina is huge by comparison to Rhode Island, so it is not possible to be close to both the mountains and the beach.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:33 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Check out the Triad/Winston-Salem...if you're looking for friendly people and a down home/hometown environment you can easily find it there. It's very beautiful with rolling hills that lead into the foothills of the Appalachians. Read up a little on Winston-Salem and see if it fits what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina