Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 01:48 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times

Advertisements

Riddled with economic and social worries, in Wilkes County

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/26/us...tter.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 02:06 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,979,696 times
*yawn* another brave NYT explorer ventures into trump country and talks about how poor and stupid the people are

Old 06-01-2016, 02:21 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,534,267 times
Here's the Winston-Salem Journal's response to the NY Times:
Railey: Wilkes County is cooler than The New York Times

Old 06-01-2016, 05:01 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,612,280 times
^^ That was a good response.

This kind of story is pretty typical for big city national news media meets rural, Southern small town.

There are certainly tibdits of truth in the story, but it's far from the whole story of a community that a big city reporter was quickly visiting.

It would be like a reporter from rural NC going to New York City and reporting on how the despair of three grown men well past what would be considered the typical "roommate age" (early-mid twenties) in much of the country sharing a dingy, drab apartment in a dicey area that they pay several thousand bucks a month for. And how their little bit of free time (which is minimal because they're having to having to work so many hours to even afford that dingy apartment) is spent waiting in depressing long lines. And how they can never really get some time and space to themselves, because they're always someone around them, behind them, in front of them, etc. , so woe is the pathetic life of a New Yorker. It would be equally as ridiculous to think this tells the whole story of New York, its people, or its entire cultural barometer. These kinds of "you poor country bumpkin" stories come across to me as equally patronizing.

Also, in Wilkesboro's defense, just in passing through there (and maybe it was just my good luck when I did), it seems to be one of the more polite towns in North Carolina (people holding the door open for you, being very approachable, etc.).

Last edited by Jowel; 06-01-2016 at 05:16 PM..

Old 06-06-2016, 09:46 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,904,755 times
Cheap shots by the NYT with all its convenient, lazy "observations," but let's be honest, Wilkes has been tip-toeing out of a difficult "recovery" for over a decade. When that track closed to NASCAR races, that was the death knell.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:43 PM

545 posts, read 595,053 times
I read the article and didn't see anything wrong with it. Basically it was written through the prism of the young man Kody Foster. Regardless of the emphasis on the negative side, most of it is true and reflects the state of most of NC's 100 counties. Job loss, population loss, and endemic economic growth. Basically people don't like when "outsiders" point out the bad and the ugly!

Wilkes County North Carolina QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 06-13-2016, 06:02 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,831,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancenc View Post
Job loss, population loss, and endemic economic growth.
Believe me, it could be a LOT worse. I don't know about those other rural counties in NC, but I grew up in eastern NC (which rightfully has the reputation of the problems you listed) and after living in southside Virginia the last few years, I have no problem saying that the economy in southside VA (especially the Martinsville/Danville region) makes eastern NC's economy look nearly as good as the Triangle's. I mean this place is f'n dead. I'm not saying there aren't serious problems in eastern NC, but it could definitely be a lot worse. At least eastern NC has a chance to recover, especially now that CSX is wanting to build their rail hub along I-95 and they have two future interstates, along with the future extension of I-795 from Goldsboro to I-40, which could help lure businesses and jobs if the cities and towns play their cards right. Southside VA is just dead, period. Count your blessings...

Old 06-13-2016, 07:27 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,979,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Believe me, it could be a LOT worse. I don't know about those other rural counties in NC, but I grew up in eastern NC (which rightfully has the reputation of the problems you listed) and after living in southside Virginia the last few years, I have no problem saying that the economy in southside VA (especially the Martinsville/Danville region) makes eastern NC's economy look nearly as good as the Triangle's. I mean this place is f'n dead. I'm not saying there aren't serious problems in eastern NC, but it could definitely be a lot worse. At least eastern NC has a chance to recover, especially now that CSX is wanting to build their rail hub along I-95 and they have two future interstates, along with the future extension of I-795 from Goldsboro to I-40, which could help lure businesses and jobs if the cities and towns play their cards right. Southside VA is just dead, period. Count your blessings...
I love nature space and wildlife and dislike rat race sprawl and urban density so I get what your saying but sometimes the "deadness" creates what's appealing to me

Old 06-13-2016, 03:47 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,831,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I love nature space and wildlife and dislike rat race sprawl and urban density so I get what your saying but sometimes the "deadness" creates what's appealing to me
To each his own.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:26 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,435,061 times
The article is very accurate. Wilkes County is indicative of the plight of most of rural America today. The declining population of that segment of America is a testament of the despair that predominates there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina