Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2006, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,593 times

Advertisements

I am a 31 y/o mom of two young kids, 4 & 1. My husband is a 42 y/o carpenter/contractor. My extended family has decided they are going to move to NC within the next couple of years. My husband & I recently sold our NJ home & are thinking about being the first ones to go. I'm doing extensive research but would love to hear some real people's opinions.
It's important to the family to live by water, we now live in a small town 10 minutes from the beach. We know we can't afford to be on the coast, so major lakes, rivers, etc are cool. My husband & I would rather not live in a ranch neighborhood type house & aren't afraid of a little work. We haven't even gotten as far as applying for/actively seeking employment but he's a carpenter & I worked in the outdoor/environmental education field b4 staying home w/ the kiddos. Any ideas on the construction trade employment situation would be greatly appreciated. He owns his own business here, is a licensed contractor, but would most likely work for someone else there.
I love the idea of Carrboro but can't imagine there is anything in our price range & can't quite grasp what the surrounding area is like. Of main importance are the schools but alternative/charter schools have always been a consideration. I am a tattooed, used to follow the Dead, "alterna-mom" who loves meeting other moms. He's a meat & potatoes, fishing guy. We both love the outdoors & I would like to be near a college-type town so the kids & I can hang out at museums, music, etc.
My dream: a log cabin/farm house within driving distance of a hip town w/ at least one tattoo shop.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please be kind, we know this is still in the early stages of planning but are just looking for an idea of places to visit that may narrow our search. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2006, 07:16 PM

414 posts, read 1,381,215 times
It would be best for your husband to try and be a supervisor of some sort because they are a lot of day labors who don't work for a lot of money so its hard to get a good paying job in construction.

Old 11-24-2006, 07:22 PM

94 posts, read 345,260 times
I would look into Hillsborough. Although not on the water, there's a few lakes in the surrounding counties. And, Chapel Hill's right around the corner so you should have no prob finding a good tattoo parlor.

http://www.ci.hillsborough.nc.us/

Good luck, sungrrl42!

fern
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina