Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 06:59 AM

5 posts, read 18,393 times

Advertisements

I'm from the Asheville area - - in fact, just north of there in the town of Weaverville. I love living in these mountains and having the small-city of Asheville just 9 miles away is wonderful.

As many here have pointed out, you can find racism and backward, bigotted attitudes anywhere in this country that's for sure. I'm not in an inter-racial relationship but there are lots of inter-racial couples in the Asheville area. People have questioned whether or not Asheville is "a liberal town" - - and I'd have to say that yes, it is by and large. I know for a fact that many of the businesses in downtown Asheville are either gay-owned or at least very "gay-friendly". To the best of my knowledge they do not discriminate against straight people and run very nice restauarants and shops of many varieties.
One thing I will say :::: the Asheville AREA is expanding in almost a boom way! New homes, condos, apartments, gated communities, million dolllar homes, and about any kind of housing can be found in this area that's for sure and there is more and more being built as the months go by.

The job situation in the Asheville area is a bit more trying - - if you have anything to do with the medical occupations you can probably have an easy time finding work here - - Asheville is the medical "hub" if you will for Western North Carolina. If you work in real estate, banking/financial planning, or have a service business of any kind you are most likely going to be able to find what you're looking for.

I moved to these mountains from upstate NY, and I don't miss the northeast AT ALL. I have had various opportunities to go back there to simply visit and have turned down all invitations. I love the mountains and the fact that here in the mountains there are clear signs of the four seasons, including a beautiful leaf-change in October during which time you can barely find a hotel/motel with a room to rent!
In some ways I'm glad that I don't live right in Asheville as I enjoy the countryside and Asheville itself does happen to be nestled in "a bowl".
From what I understand the schools here are getting better and better all the time. Huge numbers of people have moved here over the past 20 years and demands for higher standards in education have come along with them.

As far as dealing with those who push church or religion at me? .....if I don't care for it I just politely say so and people seem to be fine with that.
Make no mistake about it ::: I AM a Yankee and I also know what my forebearers fought and died for in the 1860's ....but I also know that the South IS moving on, and with rare exception, isn't looking back too much. We must all go forward together now ....looking back and wishing this or that isn't going to change things. Education, prosperity, and looking to the future is road to national unity now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 03:47 PM

18 posts, read 68,333 times
Hi. I'm white and my wife is half white/black. We are considering a move to Asheville. I am a musician and she is an artist. We love the Asheville area because of the artsy community. We have traveled all over the US and the most problems we have had were in Chicago. We pulled up to a hotel and upon exiting the car the doorman, who happened to be black, asked "Can I help you?" and we replied, "Yes, we're staying here." to which he replied, "Together?"......It was very weird to be in a major city and getting the "looks". The doorman realized that he may have offended us, felt a little bad about it, told the other employees about us, and we were treated great after that. We were told later that the conservative midwestern attitude prevails there and that it's a very segregated area. People tend to stay with their own kind.

It's refreshing to hear about Asheville...I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical until we stayed there last October. I didn't realized it was so "hip". We are seriously looking to move there from Orlando, which has become so overcrowded and crime ridden.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:21 PM

5 posts, read 18,393 times
Hi Smokin Joe!
Yes, parts of Asheville are very "hip" - lots of artists and musical sorts in the area. Crafts of all sorts are showcased in these mountains and there are numbers of pottery/sculpting studios and schools throughout the area. The one big complaint in the whole area is that Asheville itself has become very expensive to live in - - that's if you're looking to buy property or a house in town. You should also be aware that right outside Asheville, not more than 10 - 20 miles there are indeed small towns where open-mindedness and "hipness" simply doesn't exist. For example, I have gay friends that moved to this area from Florida a few years ago and they made the mistake of moving to a very rural area of the town of Burnsville, which is less than 20 miles from Asheville - - they only stayed for 2 years, selling their home there and moving closer to Asheville because they said they felt discriminated against; ie, neighbors on the same road wouldn't talk to them, gave them nasty looks, and went out of their way to avoid them, etc. Now that they are closer "to town" they feel much better, have neighbors they describe as "true Christians", and feel much more welcomed in their neighborhood.

One of the great things about living in or close to Asheville is the great medical community that is found here - - it is the hub of the medical system in Western North Carolina, and doctors, clinics, specialties in all sorts of care abound here. Naturally, we also have all the big chain stores here as well - - one can find WAlmarts, Targets, Barnes & Nobles, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Belks, JC Penny's, Sears, and a host of other stores and shops as well as a huge assortment of restuarants to match anyone's taste in food.

By the way, if you contact the Asheville Visitor's Center, they will send you a packet of information about relocating to Asheville. I purchased the book that goes with that before I moved down here 7 years ago and found it to be very helpful. They are open during usual business hours and can be reached through the operator by phone.

I wish you good luck on your move and hope that you come to love living in these mountains as much as we do.

Old 01-07-2007, 06:32 PM

18 posts, read 68,333 times
Thank you Joanie for the advice. I will definitely get that book. We want to be fairly close to Asheville without spending an arm or a leg and now I'm going to have to find an open minded neighborhood. How is Candler? I know a real estate agent will not answer these ethical questions about prejudice and narrowmindedness. Would a 10 mile radius around Ashville be a safe bet concerning the "racist factor"?

Old 01-08-2007, 08:37 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
I don't know much about Candler, but if I were you, I would choose Black Mountain or Weaverville if you don't want to be right inside Asheville. Candler is a lot cheaper, but I have the impression it is a lot more conservative there. Black Mountain is a really cute, small artsy town - beautiful and vibrant, and Weaverville is a tiny town which to me is really like the Northern tip of Asheville.

Good luck, I think you will love the area, I sure do!

Old 01-08-2007, 11:37 AM

31 posts, read 344,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
Thank you Joanie for the advice. I will definitely get that book. We want to be fairly close to Asheville without spending an arm or a leg and now I'm going to have to find an open minded neighborhood. How is Candler? I know a real estate agent will not answer these ethical questions about prejudice and narrowmindedness. Would a 10 mile radius around Ashville be a safe bet concerning the "racist factor"?

It's just my opinion, but I don't think Candler is all that great. That place is growing too. Conservative suburbia. I don't think a mixed race couple would fly too well in that area.

As many have pointed out the city of Asheville itself is progressive and tolerant. Take a drive to Madison County, Hendersonville, etc. and you find that things are different.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:25 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
"Ethical"? Try illegal. My goodness. Check out Bonnie Blue earlier post.......
Weaverville, the other side of Asheville is very nice and rural and close enough to Asheville without being stifling and is between (sorta) UNC-Asheville and Western Carolina University. Enka / Candler (where my daughter lived) is closer, just on the outskirts of Asheville, and has a few nice areas and has an off-campus location for Western Carolina. Canton, further west, smells from bleach (from the paper mills). You should have a position lined up before you commit - jobs can be hard to come by. You need to come visit - beautiful country.

Last edited by mm_mary73; 01-08-2007 at 12:41 PM..

Old 01-08-2007, 12:42 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Blue View Post
I'm a native Tarheel, and I don't care what color you are. I care about what kind of person you are. Are you slovenly, let your yard go to hell, your dog run loose, park three cars in your front yard? If you are, please don't move next door to me. If you're a nice person who keeps up his property, says hello over the hedge, doesn't go racing down the street with your radio blaring at 11 p.m., then I'd welcome you to my neighborhood.

Most hospitals in Eastern North Carolina are crying for good nurses. You might consider this area. East Carolina University (in Greenville) has a new medical school and a first-rate hospital.
Ditto, Bonnie, and let me clarify: most hospitals ALL OVER North Carolina are crying for good nurses.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:04 PM

2 posts, read 7,798 times
You have certainly picked a great state to consider moving to....we welcome you here.

Fayetteville, NC is perfect for inter-racial couples. The makeup of the military and the multicultural nature of our town lends itself well to acceptance. Many bi-racial children thrive in our community and schools.

A car is a must but the local transportation system is slowly improving.

As far as being liberal and attending church......again this town accepts a great deal of diverse backgrounds. We are a melting pot of races and nationalities because of our military families. Give us a look and you can decide!

There are many activities for families to become involved in throughout the area.

Kalli

Old 01-09-2007, 07:56 AM

34 posts, read 87,967 times
Good Morning,
I came across your post and wanted to drop my 2 cents worth of advice. I am in a mixed marriage, Me being African American and American Indian and my husband being Caucasian. Our children, a girl 7 and a son 18 who attends a local college have made Blk Mtn our home. This is the most friendly, warm and inviting town I have known. When we first moved here we enrolled our daughter in Blk Mtn Primary... everyone was so warm and welcoming. The local police department monitors the school and everyone came up and spoke to us and welcomed us with open arms. This town is racially friendly as far as I have seen.. I don't feel uneasy about going anywhere or doing anything here. I say go for it, come here and enjoy a weekend and you then decide. Hope to see ya soon!

Shea Clements
Blk Mtn NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina