Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 12:15 AM

51 posts, read 53,925 times

Advertisements

AT&T charged me almost $70 per month for a 5Mbps DSL, but TWC is much cheaper and faster. Anybody here is in TWC? how fast is it? is TWC reliable?

Can you run a speed test by Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test, choose Wilson as the server, and post your download & upload speed please? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 02:23 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Tiger View Post
AT&T charged me almost $70 per month for a 5Mbps DSL, but TWC is much cheaper and faster. Anybody here is in TWC? how fast is it? is TWC reliable?

Can you run a speed test by Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test, choose Wilson as the server, and post your download & upload speed please? thanks.
I'm pulling almost 300 Mbps down with TWC. 11 up. I pay for 50 down, 10 up. Occasional hitch in the giddy up... But mostly good.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:05 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,461,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I'm pulling almost 300 Mbps down with TWC. 11 up. I pay for 50 down, 10 up. Occasional hitch in the giddy up... But mostly good.
Impossible. You're paying for 300 Mbps speed, you probably just don't realize TWC has upgraded your internet package. They adjusted all of their packages sometime within the last two or three months. From what I understand, everyone's speed around the Triad area (and I'm assuming other TWC areas as well) got automatically upgraded. But believe me, your ISP doesn't magically, or mistakenly, give you over quadruple speed than what you pay for.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Impossible. You're paying for 300 Mbps speed, you probably just don't realize TWC has upgraded your internet package. They adjusted all of their packages sometime within the last two or three months. From what I understand, everyone's speed around the Triad area (and I'm assuming other TWC areas as well) got automatically upgraded. But believe me, your ISP doesn't magically, or mistakenly, give you over quadruple speed than what you pay for.
Entirely possible. Because it's what I'm getting. Maybe it isn't common, but it's the condition. Tested AND verified. What kind of nincompoop doesn't know what they are paying for? Not me, I keep close tabs on expenditures, what it buys me, and whether I "need" it.

I pay for 50, they tell me I'm in a max-speed area and they give me a free upgrade. I'm in Charlotte, and they are worried about Google fiber. I won't pretend to know what happens in the Triad or the Triangle or down east. You shouldn't pretend to know what happens here...

Old 05-31-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Entirely possible. Because it's what I'm getting. Maybe it isn't common, but it's the condition. Tested AND verified. What kind of nincompoop doesn't know what they are paying for? Not me, I keep close tabs on expenditures, what it buys me, and whether I "need" it.

I pay for 50, they tell me I'm in a max-speed area and they give me a free upgrade. I'm in Charlotte, and they are worried about Google fiber. I won't pretend to know what happens in the Triad or the Triangle or down east. You shouldn't pretend to know what happens here...
No, you were paying for 50 Mbps, but were upgraded to 300 Mbps at no additional cost. Time Warner has been doing this in several of their service areas, not just Charlotte. This all happened this past April. To simply say one pays for 50 Mbps but gets 300 Mbps is incorrect. That doesn't happen. You tell the ISP you want 50 Mbps, they cap your speeds off at that point. You might get a few Mbps faster or slower, but you don't get over quadruple the speed without paying for it. If that was truly the case, why would people purposely pay for the higher speeds when they could pay for a lower cost tier and still get quadruple the speed? Simply, it doesn't happen unless your ISP upgrades your service at no additional cost, just like TWC did for you and me.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
No, you were paying for 50 Mbps, but were upgraded to 300 Mbps at no additional cost. Time Warner has been doing this in several of their service areas, not just Charlotte. This all happened this past April. To simply say one pays for 50 Mbps but gets 300 Mbps is incorrect. That doesn't happen. You tell the ISP you want 50 Mbps, they cap your speeds off at that point. You might get a few Mbps faster or slower, but you don't get over quadruple the speed without paying for it. If that was truly the case, why would people purposely pay for the higher speeds when they could pay for a lower cost tier and still get quadruple the speed? Simply, it doesn't happen unless your ISP upgrades your service at no additional cost, just like TWC did for you and me.
I used to switch between ATT and TWC every year because I'm in a well-covered area and it would be silly for me to pay full cost when simply switching from one to the other saves me 30%+ on my bill. So believe me, I know what service I signed up for. I've been playing this game for years.

Last time I switched (back to TWC) was last fall. I dropped cable altogether, so I was really shopping Internet speeds/reliability/economy. When I called TWC they said "don't sign up for max, sign up for 50 and you'll get a lot more when we roll out the new services. This was late fall/early winter. They installed my service on a Friday. Within a few weeks I was getting 100Mbps (I had to get a better modem, my old one capped around 100).

I don't know what to tell ya... I pay the price advertised last fall for 50Mbps. If it makes you feel better to say I'm paying for 300 at the price of 50 it doesn't hurt my feelings!

Old 05-31-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I used to switch between ATT and TWC every year because I'm in a well-covered area and it would be silly for me to pay full cost when simply switching from one to the other saves me 30%+ on my bill. So believe me, I know what service I signed up for. I've been playing this game for years.

Last time I switched (back to TWC) was last fall. I dropped cable altogether, so I was really shopping Internet speeds/reliability/economy. When I called TWC they said "don't sign up for max, sign up for 50 and you'll get a lot more when we roll out the new services. This was late fall/early winter. They installed my service on a Friday. Within a few weeks I was getting 100Mbps (I had to get a better modem, my old one capped around 100).

I don't know what to tell ya... I pay the price advertised last fall for 50Mbps. If it makes you feel better to say I'm paying for 300 at the price of 50 it doesn't hurt my feelings!
Yes, last fall, you paid X amount for what was then, the Ultimate 50 plan, which was 50Mbps. That is no longer the plan you have. You now have the 300Mbps plan. It goes like this:

50Mbps is the new standard plan = last year's 15Mbps standard plan.
100Mbps = last year's 20Mbps extreme plan.
200Mbps = last year's 30Mbps turbo plan.
300Mbps = last year's 50Mbps Ultimate plan.

If you were still paying for 50Mbps as it is now, you'd be paying around $35/month for what is now considered the standard plan. Which you're not. You're paying for an Ultimate plan, which is probably closer to $70-$75/month, give or take.

For the sake of posting accurate information, since this is for informational purposes for the OP, I felt it needed clarification for your earlier post.

And OP, I am at work right now, will be glad to run a speed test when I'm home, since I've been monitoring my speeds since the upgrade. I will tell you, however, when I connected my computer directly into the modem and did a speed test, I got over 200Mbps. That is what I am paying for. It wasn't prime time usage though, it was on a Friday morning around 11AM. That is going to vary since you share the same node with other TWC customers in your neighborhood. With having my wireless AC router connected and serving as a DHCP server to about 11 connected devices, I get around 50-70Mbps per device. That's to be expected with the amount of devices I have bidding for an internet connection on my network. Some devices have priority over others depending on my setup on the router. But, for the most part, the service is OK. I would much rather have Northstate and Gigabit internet, but they don't have service in Oak Ridge yet.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:06 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
skinsguy37 - Native_Son is absolutely correct in that it is entirely possible to see 300 Mbps download speeds from his previous level of internet service. It's the effect of what is termed "overprovisioning" by TWC. It's an attempt by TWC to ensure your internet speed during times of high demand.

TWC upgraded my account from 15/1 Mbps to 100/10 Mbps here in Monroe in August of 2015. For the first few weeks, I got those speeds, but over time they dropped to about half that. I replaced my trusty Motorola SB 6141 and Trendnet TEW-812 with an Arris SB 6190 and Asus RT-AC68U last month, and now I can see speeds of 150/13! The new cable modem has 32 downstream channels as opposed to the old one's 8. My new cable modem shows 16 channels being utilized currently. http://192.168.100.1 is your cable modem's internal address if you want to see what's going on.

It's a matter of luck how much more you can eek out through overprovisioning. I suspect the closer Google gets to starting 1Gbps service in Charlotte and Raleigh, the more generous TWC internet deals will be! BTW, now that the Charter/Time Warner merger went through, this new company is called Spectrum. After about 6 months, the honeymoon will be over and "cable bill creep" will start up again to pay for those new executive's $15,000,000 apartments in Manhattan!

We can also expect the phone companies to involve themselves in the home entertainment market in the coming years ..."look Ma Bell, no wires"! Data caps for the new and old markets are coming!

Old 06-01-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
skinsguy37 - Native_Son is absolutely correct in that it is entirely possible to see 300 Mbps download speeds from his previous level of internet service. It's the effect of what is termed "overprovisioning" by TWC. It's an attempt by TWC to ensure your internet speed during times of high demand.

TWC upgraded my account from 15/1 Mbps to 100/10 Mbps here in Monroe in August of 2015. For the first few weeks, I got those speeds, but over time they dropped to about half that. I replaced my trusty Motorola SB 6141 and Trendnet TEW-812 with an Arris SB 6190 and Asus RT-AC68U last month, and now I can see speeds of 150/13! The new cable modem has 32 downstream channels as opposed to the old one's 8. My new cable modem shows 16 channels being utilized currently. http://192.168.100.1 is your cable modem's internal address if you want to see what's going on.

It's a matter of luck how much more you can eek out through overprovisioning. I suspect the closer Google gets to starting 1Gbps service in Charlotte and Raleigh, the more generous TWC internet deals will be! BTW, now that the Charter/Time Warner merger went through, this new company is called Spectrum. After about 6 months, the honeymoon will be over and "cable bill creep" will start up again to pay for those new executive's $15,000,000 apartments in Manhattan!

We can also expect the phone companies to involve themselves in the home entertainment market in the coming years ..."look Ma Bell, no wires"! Data caps for the new and old markets are coming!
LOL! An ISP is not going to bump your speed up 250Mbps to ensure QoS during peak times, especially if you're a residential customer. They might bump it up at a max of 10Mbps more, but that is just an attempt to ensure you're getting the speed you pay for on a more consistent basis. The likelihood that TWC bumps a residential customer that big of a jump in speed without actually upgrading the service is little to none. And logically, if TWC felt the need to enact that much overprovision, then it says that there is a lot of other customers sharing the same node, which means that NS would not have even been seeing 50Mbps, much less a 250Mbps jump.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:57 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
LOL! An ISP is not going to bump your speed up 250Mbps to ensure QoS during peak times, especially if you're a residential customer. They might bump it up at a max of 10Mbps more, but that is just an attempt to ensure you're getting the speed you pay for on a more consistent basis. The likelihood that TWC bumps a residential customer that big of a jump in speed without actually upgrading the service is little to none. And logically, if TWC felt the need to enact that much overprovision, then it says that there is a lot of other customers sharing the same node, which means that NS would not have even been seeing 50Mbps, much less a 250Mbps jump.
No they sure will not bump up their speed to ensure QoS, but if you have the proper equipment that can suck every last ounce of bandwidth out of them, you're more likely to maintain what you're paying for during peak times and enjoy higher speeds during off-peak hours.

The speed has changed since last year. There aren't any 1,10,15, and 30 Mbps offerings anymore. The minimum package by me is 50 Mbps with upgrades to 100,200 and 300 Mbps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina