Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 11:01 AM

1,116 posts, read 1,209,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
IMO, many millennials have unrealistic expectations. Many of them expect to have too much too soon. Certainly not like my generation and especially generations prior.
So my Dad got a factory job at 18. A career job, that he still has 42 years later. He has a pension and a matching 401k. He has healthcare, better healthcare than public workers. Back then, you hit full salary in 6 weeks. He gets more vacation leave than public sector workers. So what exactly are millennials unrealistic expectations? I think all that want is the financial security that previous generations had. They were told if they stayed in school they would get it. Why should they be the first generation to have to sacrifice?

My parents paid $50 to birth their children. They paid $5 to take them to the doctor. I paid over $5000 to have my first child. I pay $125 to take her to the doctor. This isn't inflation. This is income redistribution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 11:56 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
You lose any credibility when you don't have a basic grasp on the facts. Teachers are 10 month employees. Also, being furloughed without pay for 2 months is a con, not a pro.
I apologize for the error, but the proposed pay level is still generous based on cost of living and teacher salary in the same region. Getting 2 months off in the summer is considered a benefit by the teachers I know.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
I apologize for the error, but the proposed pay level is still generous based on cost of living and teacher salary in the same region. Getting 2 months off in the summer is considered a benefit by the teachers I know.
Nobody genuinely wishes they got furloughed without pay for 2 months every year. They just accept it, b/c they can't do anything about it and enjoy the time off. The truth is, this is a vestige of our agricultural economy, preserved by stubborn people.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
Nobody genuinely wishes they got furloughed without pay for 2 months every year. They just accept it, b/c they can't do anything about it and enjoy the time off. The truth is, this is a vestige of our agricultural economy, preserved by stubborn people.
My son is in year-round school and I prefer it vastly. I think it's better for the students and teachers. Of course, they're still "furloughed," as you call it, the same amount, it's just broken up more.

Again, I believe most teachers actually do want the time off. Offer them a summer school position and a lot of them aren't going to take you up on it unless they're the sole breadwinner in a household and genuinely need it.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:58 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
"...the state has promised to provide every state employee with free health insurance after they retire, for life. But there’s one hitch: Not one penny has been set aside to pay those bills. How big a problem is that? It’s an unfunded liability of $26 billion that’s going to land on taxpayers’ doorsteps when the bills come due."
The state doesn't even pay free health insurance for CURRENT state employees, certainly not retired ones. That was once true, but has eroded with so many other state employee benefits. You might try actually researching the policies on the state personnel website or asking an actual state employee such things, instead of quoting links on the Internet that may be inaccurate.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The state doesn't even pay free health insurance for CURRENT state employees, certainly not retired ones. That was once true, but has eroded with so many other state employee benefits. You might try actually researching the policies on the state personnel website or asking an actual state employee such things, instead of quoting links on the Internet that may be inaccurate.
"The state will pay for your individual coverage under the non-contributory plan at retirement."
-2016 Teachers' and State Employees' Handbook

https://www.nctreasurer.com/ret/Bene...RShandbook.pdf

Old 06-08-2016, 02:01 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
"The state will pay for your individual coverage under the non-contributory plan at retirement."
-2016 Teachers' and State Employees' Handbook

https://www.nctreasurer.com/ret/Bene...RShandbook.pdf
Yeah, and if you need coverage for your spouse, you'll pay up the ying-yang for it!

Old 06-08-2016, 02:42 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,573,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Yeah, and if you need coverage for your spouse, you'll pay up the ying-yang for it!
The spouse is free to look for other health insurance. If the spouse is not a state employee, why should they get the same health benefits?

Old 06-08-2016, 03:25 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
The spouse is free to look for other health insurance. If the spouse is not a state employee, why should they get the same health benefits?
In states with better benefits, if you retire with your spouse on your insurance, you can maintain that coverage after retirement and many states provide that at no cost.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
That's not really true. The 70/30 and CDHP are still free for employees, at least assuming they do the "incentives". And retirees still get free health insurance. You are right in that they are nibbling away at it and the value of the insurance is going down as copays, deductibles, and coinsurance increase rapidly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina