Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 04:54 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
According to Representative Cecil Brockman only 37% of black kids are making grade level in North Carolina public schools. It's a crisis. Give charters a chance.
Do you really think we will have enough charter schools to handle 63% of our black kids? Is that what you're suggesting here???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 06:16 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Do you really think we will have enough charter schools to handle 63% of our black kids? Is that what you're suggesting here???

All charter schools are doing is taking the brightest lower-income students away from the public schools...and like private schools charters don't have to put up with any discipline nonsense. They can just send behavior problems back to the public schools.

These are just private schools funded by the taxpayers. You can't get much more wrong than that.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:52 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
All charter schools are doing is taking the brightest lower-income students away from the public schools...and like private schools charters don't have to put up with any discipline nonsense. They can just send behavior problems back to the public schools.

These are just private schools funded by the taxpayers. You can't get much more wrong than that.
Why, my goodness. Just imagine! -- the brightest lower-income kids might actually get a good education and consequently amount to something. How awful! You just can't get much more wrong than that.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:08 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
What's the quote insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result. There's no program that government can create that will reach most of these kids. I don't understand why you have such a hard time understanding that. It's clear your views have a conservative libertarian bent, and that's fine, but I'm always shocked when people with these viewpoints look to government for the answer. Number one it goes against just about everything you believe, and number 2 it won't work.

Regardless of what the NC state GA passes things will never change. Until something changes to where people aren't addicted to god knows what, and they decide to put their kids first this will always be an issues. See the trouble is that not only are they destroying their life. Its that in 5 short years they have destroyed an innocent precious life they created. by the the time the kids go to school at 5 years old there's no hope for them. I'm not sure you know what it's like to teach a kid that has been sexually abuse hundreds of times by the age of 8, but I'm sure you think the teacher is overpaid, and those retirement benefits you rant on, lets hope they provide for mental health because doing 15 or 20 years in an inner city is enough to break the strongest of people

I'm serious when I say there's no hope for most of these kids short of divine intervention. I'm a pretty hard person, and it takes a lot to break me, but the stories I've heard over the last 15 years are nothing short of heartbreaking, and trust me it breaks the teachers hearts, not that they can't teach these kids. No what breaks their hearts is that they can't protect these kids once they leave the school. They can't protect them from being sexually abused. They can't protect them from being beaten senseless on a daily basis. They can't make sure they have dinner. I can go on and on, but I hope these posts make you realize that the problem is so much deeper than funding, or moving them from public school to a charter school. There's no hope for these kids.

There's always hope.

But truly, you are correct that very few people have the political/social will to figure out how to identify the at-risk children, take them from their crappy parents/environment, and make them wards of the state/system so they DO have a chance to succeed.

I see the teachers first-hand 180-200 days a year. I know precisely what they face, and how they're limited.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:13 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Stay on topic or create your own thread.

The Republican lead Senate is preparing to strip all medical benefits from all state workers
Is this the thread about removing RETIREMENT benefits from FUTURE employees?

Old 06-05-2016, 07:17 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,599,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Why, my goodness. Just imagine! -- the brightest lower-income kids might actually get a good education and consequently amount to something. How awful! You just can't get much more wrong than that.
So then what about the middle of the road or lower performing lower-income kids? Just let them rot in underfunded and understaffed schools and let the problem just keep compounding? How about actually funding these schools and helping these teachers in this state?

Old 06-05-2016, 07:49 PM

186 posts, read 173,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
So then what about the middle of the road or lower performing lower-income kids? Just let them rot in underfunded and understaffed schools and let the problem just keep compounding? How about actually funding these schools and helping these teachers in this state?
Personally, I think you give a significant supplement to teachers in underperforming schools. 10k+ You also put several aids into each classroom k-12 to assist with discipline issues. Expensive and will never happen due to cost but IMO that is what I feel is necessary.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Check the funding, staffing, and resulting performance of the schools in Baltimore City.

How about helping people in traditional two-parent families with good kids, while there are still some left?

Old 06-06-2016, 07:33 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,599,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Check the funding, staffing, and resulting performance of the schools in Baltimore City.

How about helping people in traditional two-parent families with good kids, while there are still some left?
What does Baltimore have to do with NC? Why move the goalposts? I am for helping all kids not just those from middle class 2 parent households.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
What does Baltimore have to do with NC? Why move the goalposts? I am for helping all kids not just those from middle class 2 parent households.
If you had checked, you would have found that Baltimore City has one of the most lavishly funded and staffed public school systems in the country, and yet has one of the worst outcomes. In other words, funding and staffing have little impact on the quality of education. But it's easy to be for just about anything, isn't it? What we lack is an effective way to reach people who come from dysfunctional "families" and cultures.

On the other hand, much of our material and scientific progress -- which everyone ultimately benefits from -- comes from a small fraction of the population. I want to try to identify the people who will invent and develop the next transistor and internet, so to speak, and do everything possible to nurture their talent. Let's not focus so much of our resources on those least likely to succeed rather than on those most likely.

One of the best schools in the country is Raleigh Charter. Funding Raleigh Charter does not necessitate reducing funding to the mainstream Raleigh public schools; funding is shifted, not reduced per-student. The same advantage might come with a voucher system (which I do not favor for other reasons) -- let's have some competition for the government schools. It would do them a world of good. Unfortunately, as has long been said, it's hard to convince someone whose job depends on believing otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina