Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 07:41 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekaten View Post
He's not that old. Getting a year of cheaper tuition is a huge benefit, but the main concern is obviously getting out of New Jersey, if my dad is willing to have the conversation. He didn't seem responsive when we were all discussing our intentions to potentially leave NJ for some reason. I understand that age discrimination may be real, but there comes a point where you have to accept that a place isn't working out for you despite your best efforts.
Age discrimination starts about 40 & just gets worse each year. I don't believe that your father is under 40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 07:44 AM

175 posts, read 204,605 times
Thank you all for your responses. My dad is in his mid-50s. When you think about it that way, he would indeed be far better served by starting a small business in NC/VA rather than looking for a job there. I honestly don't see how staying in NJ would benefit any of us at all considering all the pain and turmoil we have been through since 2012 or so.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
You don't have to avoid Durham, as there are lots of safe, suburban neighborhoods, esp. around Duke and the south near the Research Triangle. The less safe areas are to the east of downtown Durham.

However, your parents need to prioritize jobs, and Wilmington has a much smaller job market than Charlotte or the Raleigh/Durham areas.

Similarly, you might find that Richmond and Norfolk have decent job markets, and a sufficient POC population that they can find a safe and comfortable area.
Thank you for the information about Durham. I had heard Duke was in the hood, but I didn't think too much of it.

What else can you tell me about Richmond and Norfolk? Any info on VA Beach, Newport News, Jamestown, and Williamsburg?

Old 06-19-2016, 09:04 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,008,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Age discrimination starts about 40 & just gets worse each year. I don't believe that your father is under 40.
Very few industries would consider 40 too old. Maybe some parts of the tech community, acting and athletics.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
Very few industries would consider 40 too old. Maybe some parts of the tech community, acting and athletics.
Legally age discrimination starts at 40.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:21 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,064,631 times
Quote:
What else can you tell me about Richmond and Norfolk? Any info on VA Beach, Newport News, Jamestown, and Williamsburg?
You would be better to ask specifically in the Richmond and Tidewater subforums of the Virginia board.

Norfolk, VA Beach and Newport News are generally nice areas. They have government jobs from the Navy and shipbuilding industries. Perhaps your father (and/or your mother) could find some opportunities as a small business sub-contractor. Ethnic minority status (or being a woman) would help with that.

Jamestown and Williamsburg are mainly tourist areas, and the jobs might include working as a costumed interpreter. They are lovely areas, but jobs are limited.

Richmond has a health presence of government jobs with the Army, the Defense Logisitic Agency, and the State government. Otherwise, commercial industries include banking (Federal Reserve) and tobacco (Altria). I lived in Richmond many years ago, and enjoyed it. It has grown a lot, attracting many northerers.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-19-2016 at 09:54 AM..

Old 06-19-2016, 09:25 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,008,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Legally age discrimination starts at 40.
I don't think the OP cares, but it's good to know the government says no one under 40 is judged based on their age.

Good example of how employment discrimination laws are arbitrary, subjective and inherently unfair. Instead of saying age can't be a consideration in hiring, they say it can't be a consideration after you turn 40.

As far as regional differences, I think the quantity and diversity of job types in this area will ultimately help his parents land a better job, faster. Especially since they aren't in the more competitive tech sector.

Last edited by vulfpeck; 06-19-2016 at 10:05 AM..

Old 06-19-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I don't think the OP cares, but it's good to know the government says no one under 40 is judged based on their age.

Good example of how employment discrimination laws are arbitrary, subjective and inherently unfair. Instead of saying age can't be a consideration in hiring, they say it can't be a consideration after you turn 40.

As far as regional differences, I think the quantity and diversity of job types in this area will ultimately help his parents land a better job, faster. Especially since they aren't in the more competitive tech sector.
Age discrimination would apply for the OP's father. In my opinion, your inability to understand discrimination in employment is just sad.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
You would be better to ask specifically in the Richmond and Tidewater subforums of the Virginia board.

Norfolk, VA Beach and Newport News are generally nice areas. They have government jobs from the Navy and shipbuilding industries. Perhaps your father (and/or your mother) could find some opportunities as a small business sub-contractor. Ethnic minority status (or being a woman) would help with that.

Jamestown and Williamsburg are mainly tourist areas, and the jobs might include working as a costumed interpreter. They are lovely areas, but jobs are limited.

Richmond has a health presence of government jobs with the Army, the Defense Logisitic Agency, and the State government. Otherwise, commercial industries include banking (Federal Reserve) and tobacco (Altria). I lived in Richmond many years ago, and enjoyed it. It has grown a lot, attracting many northerers.
Hmm, fair point. I tried to copypaste this thread to the other two state forums in question but they didn't get past moderators (I think for being mostly pro-NC). If I present it more neutrally in those subforums then it'll definitely be approved. Do you think I should post in the general Virginia forum or either of the subforums (and if so, would Richmond or Tidewater be more suitable)?

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I'm saying exactly. My dad seems to think that remaining in NJ is best for him and his career even though it hit near-rock bottom in recent years. Once you get knocked down in NJ, it's very difficult to rise back up again. Thankfully we are now financially stable once again, but only barely. Getting back to financially prosperous status, I somewhat fear, would take him until he's nearing retirement age. I respect the fact that he wants to stay in NJ and really try to make it work (which is esp. understandable because this is the only state he's lived in and it's where he got married and raised his three children), and I sure as hell appreciate his efforts. But as I said before, there comes a point where you have to admit that it's just not working. It's certainly not all NJ's fault, we've mostly just had awful misfortune with businesses and such for a sorta long time now. Mom's emotionally and spiritually drained from living in NJ for so long without any real reward and just doesn't see how it could work at all. I wholeheartedly agree with her and also really don't see a point in having my family stay in NJ after all my friends from high school are gone. I really am a big fan of moving to NC or VA in summer 2017, but MD can honestly wait until 2018. My little sister would prefer a move in 2018 after finishing high school as was said before. I don't know exactly where my brother stands at the moment but I would want us to leave for good next year (when he'd be entering 10th grade) as opposed to the year after (when he'd be a rising junior) for his sake.

Last edited by rekaten; 06-19-2016 at 01:43 PM..

Old 06-19-2016, 01:36 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,064,631 times
Quote:
Do you think I should post in the general Virginia forum or either of the subforums (and if so, would Richmond or Tidewater be more suitable)?
I would try both sub-forums: Richmond for the Richmond question, and "Hampton Roads" for the Tidewater, Williamsburg, and Jamestown areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina