Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 12:37 PM

11 posts, read 20,609 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job interview in Shelby, NC this week. We currently live on the West Coast and are looking to move somewhere less expensive. I did a little research, though, and this does not look like a town with very many jobs, a number of foreclosures, and high crime. Am I right to be concerned about this town's ability to support two professionals (I work in professional services marketing, but could do other types of marketing, PR, and community involvement work)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 01:06 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanthiriel View Post
My husband has a job interview in Shelby, NC this week.... Am I right to be concerned about this town's ability to support two professionals (I work in professional services marketing, but could do other types of marketing, PR, and community involvement work)?
As long as you locate closer to the Charlotte Metro area, eg Gastonia and Kings Mountain, there would be a better prospect of other jobs. I agree you should not restrict yourselves to Shelby.

In fact, the OP ought to do some searches on Shelby in the Charlotte sub-forum. There should be better information in the specific sub-forum.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:19 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
My husband has a job interview in Shelby, NC this week. We currently live on the West Coast and are looking to move somewhere less expensive. I did a little research, though, and this does not look like a town with very many jobs, a number of foreclosures, and high crime. Am I right to be concerned about this town's ability to support two professionals (I work in professional services marketing, but could do other types of marketing, PR, and community involvement work)?
What type of business is it? I live in Kings Mountain.

If the business is located on the far western end of Shelby, you should look at Kings Mountain for housing. Kings Mountain is commutable to most of Charlotte.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:30 PM

Maybe I'm blind, but I couldn't seem to find a good sub forum that focused on Shelby. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Old 07-05-2016, 01:43 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm blind, but I couldn't seem to find a good sub forum that focused on Shelby. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
It doesn't focus on Shelby, but the Charlotte sub-forum is a more appropriate location since it is an outer suburb. //www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/

Use the blue Search button to find other threads, like this: //www.city-data.com/forum/charl...igh-speed.html

Old 07-05-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I sent a message to relocate this thread to the Charlotte board.

Kings Mountain is probably where you'd want to look for housing. It's 30 miles to Charlotte & 40 miles to both Hickory & Spartanburg, SC. If the job site is in downtown Shelby or the east side of Shelby you could expand your search to include Gastonia.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I sent a message to relocate this thread to the Charlotte board.

Kings Mountain is probably where you'd want to look for housing. It's 30 miles to Charlotte & 40 miles to both Hickory & Spartanburg, SC. If the job site is in downtown Shelby or the east side of Shelby you could expand your search to include Gastonia.
Thank you!

Old 07-05-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Thank you!
You're welcome.

If the job is in heavy industry, it's probably on land that was annexed a few years ago. It's so far west that I wouldn't recommend living in Gastonia. While Shelby would give access to Spartanburg, the drive would be far easier on I 85, from Kings Mountain. Hickory is accessible from both Kings Mountain & Shelby, but the drive is better from Kings Mountain.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:48 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Shelby like several locations in this state are in gray areas, threads like this one is ok in this forum.

As mention above click search button for threads regarding the area. Since 2007 I have seen few relocation type threads on any forum and few members in the area.
Shelby threads or any foothill or sandhills towns can qualify in the state forum, or posted in another forum depending on discussion

Old 05-01-2017, 01:41 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,424,571 times
short n sweet....if you live on the West Coast you will NOT be happy in Shelby....probably not in Kings Mtn or Gastonia, either. Look more at Charlotte or the Raliegh areas in NC or you will be seeking to move again in a year or 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina