Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 09:01 AM
JKJ JKJ started this thread

8 posts, read 44,156 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

My wife and I grew up in NYC and NJ then we moved to FL back to NJ and then to FL again. We almost bought a home in Indian trail NC last year but had changed our minds. We are now thinking about a move again and not sure where. We are considering PA, NC, NJ and NY. We can't seem to decide where in NC. When we almost bought a house we traveled from Statesville down through Davidson, charlotte, Gastonia, Pineville, Waxhaw and fell in love with Indian trail.

I know that a lot has changed since we started looking almost 2 years ago, and I wanted to know what everyone else thinks. Since I am in sales and will travel a lot by car. What is the best area that offers a country feel yet has easy access with little traffic (I am aware traffic is a problem in NC) the question would be where to avoid. We are also concerned with crime; schools are not such a big deal because we don't have any children yet.

We also never visited the N. east or East side of charlotte like Kannapolis concord, Harrisburg etc. Please help we have moved every year for the past 5 years (Major interstate moves) and my wife and I can't take it anymore and we only have one more shot at it before we lose our minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2006, 10:55 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,202,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKJ View Post
Hello everyone.

My wife and I grew up in NYC and NJ then we moved to FL back to NJ and then to FL again. We almost bought a home in Indian trail NC last year but had changed our minds. We are now thinking about a move again and not sure where. We are considering PA, NC, NJ and NY. We can't seem to decide where in NC. When we almost bought a house we traveled from Statesville down through Davidson, charlotte, Gastonia, Pineville, Waxhaw and fell in love with Indian trail.

I know that a lot has changed since we started looking almost 2 years ago, and I wanted to know what everyone else thinks. Since I am in sales and will travel a lot by car. What is the best area that offers a country feel yet has easy access with little traffic (I am aware traffic is a problem in NC) the question would be where to avoid. We are also concerned with crime; schools are not such a big deal because we don't have any children yet.

We also never visited the N. east or East side of charlotte like Kannapolis concord, Harrisburg etc. Please help we have moved every year for the past 5 years (Major interstate moves) and my wife and I can't take it anymore and we only have one more shot at it before we lose our minds.
Do you mind if I ask why you have moved so much? Is it work or the grass is greener syndrome? We do have a family (one teen and four dogs) and have moved every year since 2002 and will be moving again 2007. My husband is self-employed and I stay at home. We moved several times within California until we left for Virginia in 2003 and Massachusetts 2004 (work related) Came back to California to be near family and now that we are back (almost two years) I can't wait to get back to Massachusetts but the process is giving me a nervous breakdown. We like the North East for the culture, education,scenery,people,food,history,four seasons, and it is more affordable than Ca. The south may be less expensive but is sooooo different than the east and west. Good luck to you and remember to breathe.

Old 11-26-2006, 12:44 PM
JKJ JKJ started this thread

8 posts, read 44,156 times
We move because of the so called "opportunity" or grass is always greener I guess. I too am self employed and we can live practically anywhere but neither of us can agree on where. It’s nice to see I'm not the only nomad out there but I would like to turn in my gipsy outfit and settle down. Good luck to you as well. You are right about the south it is sooooo different. The Bible belt does scare me slightly I don't think they are going to appreciate my Chanukah Menorah during the holiday season.

Old 11-26-2006, 02:30 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,105 times
Quote:
We move because of the so called "opportunity" or grass is always greener I guess. I too am self employed and we can live practically anywhere but neither of us can agree on where. It’s nice to see I'm not the only nomad out there but I would like to turn in my gipsy outfit and settle down. Good luck to you as well. You are right about the south it is sooooo different. The Bible belt does scare me slightly I don't think they are going to appreciate my Chanukah Menorah during the holiday season.
Yes, the south is different. We relocated from NY in 1998 and it took awhile getting used to some of the differences. But I also have to say I cannot imagine moving back north. I also have had no problems with MY Chanukah Menorah...and I'll qualify by saying that most of the people in my neighborhood (at least in the immediate vicinity) are not originally from the south. But I have to say I feel that it is very accepting in this area.

In terms of where to live here, my personal preference is for the south and union county area.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or if I can assist in any way. Best of luck in your final move.

Old 11-26-2006, 03:14 PM

414 posts, read 1,381,124 times
Quote:
Hello everyone.

I know your going to pay a lot more in NC than you would have two years ago.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:20 PM

4 posts, read 13,221 times
We moved to caswell county nc from upstate ny 3 yrs ago and have not doubted our decision once. It is awesome here - the people are friendly and helpful. You can actually talk to a neighbor without having to worry about getting shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-27-2006, 06:22 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
We move because of the so called "opportunity" or grass is always greener I guess.
You don't do enough research or you wouldn't make these bad relocation decisions.

People who make decisions primarily based on what they are trying to escape are going to make bad decisions. They are either going to overcompensate with the new place and become fishes out of water or they are going to be disappointed when the new place doesn't have what they like. Instead, make a list of what's important to you and your spouse. Look for places that have those things and then eliminate places from your list if they have too many of your escape criteria.

If congestion/traffic is an issue for you, stay out of tourist towns or towns where the population has a lot of second homes. Don't just look at population. Look at how many square miles that population resides on. City Data has the square miles of every town. Sperlings Best Places has population density.

Go to a website like Sperlings Best Places and compare where you live now to where you think you might want to move to. You know what it feels like where you live now. See if the new place is better/worse has more/less than what you are used to on things that matter to you.

Pick a few towns in a desired state and subscribe online to the local newspaper. Read it regularly for a few months. Find out what goes on in the town, what the town issues are at the local town meetings, what kind of crime is in the town, what kind of development is going on, what the people in the town do when they aren't working. What are people complaining about in the Letters to the Editor? What kind of volunteer opportunities exist? What are some annual town events where you would have an opportunity to meet people?

Go to the online yellow pages and find out what's in the town (restaurants, clothes shopping, supermarkets, churches/synagogues movie theaters, etc.)

When you ask questions in a forum like this, ask questions that will elicit a data-type answer so you, not the responder, can judge good/bad, too much/too little. For example, don't ask questions like "Do you get too much snow?" or "Are the schools any good?" You and the responder may have totally different opinions about what consitutes too much snow or what makes good schools. Ask questions like, "How much snow do you get per year?" Which schools in the XYZ school district need improvement under "No Child Left Behind?" Or, "How many sudents per class in the ABC high school?"

You should have narrowed your list considerably so now you can spend more time in the possible new town when you visit, instead of flitting from town to town but not spending any quality time anywhere.

When you visit, stay for a week. Observe the cleanliness of the town. Drive on the highway. Ask for directions. Go into non-tourist places (post office, gas station mart, Wal-Mart, supermarket, library, Staples, etc.) and engage people in conversation. Pick up a street map in the local gas station as it will often have neighborhoods on it. Eyeball what's in those neighborhoods.

Good luck.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:16 PM

245 posts, read 765,573 times
Question Pine Barrens of NJ

Hi JKJ,

This might be a little off topic, but I've always been curious about the Pine Barrens region of New Jersey. I might be mistaken, but I got the impression that it was a rural, sparsely populated area. Given the volume of people moving south, I always wondered why the pine barrens area hasn't experienced more growth. Are there environmental factors that make it undesirable? Is the area all locked up as parkland? Just curious...any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 36,892 times
Default Try Lincolnton

Try Lincolnton, NC. It's a great little town that is just off the beaten path, but within easy access of Charlotte / Gastonia malls and entertainment. Homes are still a very good value...you get lots of land to go with your home - Brookwood Acres off 150 is a great place to start looking. People are super nice here.

Quote:
Hello everyone.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,801 times
Default looking for school info

Hi - we are relocating in Jan. to I think the Union county area. I am looking at several houses there and the school districts seem to be good, although much bigger than what my 2 boys are use to. Any comments on Sun Valley MS and HS as well as Porter Ridge. It is hard to get info on Porter Ridge because it is so new. I plan to visit both schools but looking for local info. My sons are 6th and 8th grade. Thanks for the help

nervous mom in ny

ps
Can't believe we are doing this move this time of year ! yikes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina