U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 06:43 AM

66 posts, read 54,776 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am looking for advice regarding the different areas of North Carolina. I am a 23 year old female living currently in Southwest Florida looking to relocate (in the future) to North Carolina. I work for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission right now, and would like to stay in that line of work if I could. I am a college graduate. My boyfriend currently works at Carmax and would like to stay in that line of work (if possible somewhere near a Carmax maybe??).

My boyfriend and I would be moving together and would like to find somewhere where we could eventually start a family. We have no kids, but we do have a dog and 3 cats. We are looking for someplace that we would be able to walk the dog (we currently live in an area where that is hard to do). We don't mind the heat, but we would like to like somewhere a little more temperate than down here in Southwest Florida. We definitely don't want to live somewhere too cold though, we are originally from WI and do not want to deal with that type of cold again.

Commute time is not a big deal to me, I drive a lot in my line of work so it doesn't bother me as much. We would like to live somewhere that is near a city or big city, definitely not a small town. Someplace that would have access to grocery stores, parks, and a dog park (if possible). It would be nice to be somewhere where we could go to both the beach and the mountains within a few hours of driving.

We have a combined salary of around $50k a year and would be looking to buy or rent a house if possible. Please if anyone has any insight of areas that would be good please let us know. We are trying to get an idea if North Carolina would be a good state to move to (everyone down in Florida says it is). I tried to be as specific as possible.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 06:57 AM

6,800 posts, read 6,395,187 times
You can search for NC state jobs here:

https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/northcarolina

Wildlife Resources Commission only has 3 current openings.

Car Max has locations in Fayetteville, Raleigh, G'boro, Winston-Salem, Charlotte, etc. Any of those cities would meet your requirements.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:37 AM

12,689 posts, read 24,153,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Wildlife Resources Commission only has 3 current openings.
The OP might also look at aquariums and zoos that are convenient to the Car-Max locations. For example, the State zoo in Asheboro might work with the Fayetteville Car-Max, and they would be in the middle of the state.

Also, if you use the state web-site above, there are a few more jobs if you just search on "wildlife".

Old 07-06-2016, 07:45 AM

23,806 posts, read 32,008,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amd2357 View Post
Hello all,

I am looking for advice regarding the different areas of North Carolina. I am a 23 year old female living currently in Southwest Florida looking to relocate (in the future) to North Carolina. I work for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission right now, and would like to stay in that line of work if I could. I am a college graduate. My boyfriend currently works at Carmax and would like to stay in that line of work (if possible somewhere near a Carmax maybe??).

My boyfriend and I would be moving together and would like to find somewhere where we could eventually start a family. We have no kids, but we do have a dog and 3 cats. We are looking for someplace that we would be able to walk the dog (we currently live in an area where that is hard to do). We don't mind the heat, but we would like to like somewhere a little more temperate than down here in Southwest Florida. We definitely don't want to live somewhere too cold though, we are originally from WI and do not want to deal with that type of cold again.

Commute time is not a big deal to me, I drive a lot in my line of work so it doesn't bother me as much. We would like to live somewhere that is near a city or big city, definitely not a small town. Someplace that would have access to grocery stores, parks, and a dog park (if possible). It would be nice to be somewhere where we could go to both the beach and the mountains within a few hours of driving.

We have a combined salary of around $50k a year and would be looking to buy or rent a house if possible. Please if anyone has any insight of areas that would be good please let us know. We are trying to get an idea if North Carolina would be a good state to move to (everyone down in Florida says it is). I tried to be as specific as possible.
You might want to look at job openings in the state parks.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:58 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,450,972 times
OP, what do you consider a "small town" vs a "city" or a "big city"? Most or all of the cities in NC would be considered mid-sized or smaller.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:09 PM

266 posts, read 286,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The OP might also look at aquariums and zoos that are convenient to the Car-Max locations. For example, the State zoo in Asheboro might work with the Fayetteville Car-Max, and they would be in the middle of the state.

Also, if you use the state web-site above, there are a few more jobs if you just search on "wildlife".
Why go to the Carmax in Fayetteville when the one in Greensboro is 30 mins away?

Old 07-07-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
OP, what do you consider a "small town" vs a "city" or a "big city"? Most or all of the cities in NC would be considered mid-sized or smaller.
Small town is like where I am from with a population less than 1,000 (want to avoid that to the best of our ability). City is like where I live now with a population of about 35,000 and big city would be like Tampa, Fort Myers, or Saint Petersburg.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
We would like to live somewhere that is near a city or big city, definitely not a small town. Someplace that would have access to grocery stores, parks, and a dog park (if possible). It would be nice to be somewhere where we could go to both the beach and the mountains within a few hours of driving.
Naturally you should live convenient to whatever jobs you find. However, I think the Triad would suit you. Greensboro is the largest city in the region at 283,000, and Asheboro is a small city at 26,000. Both are equidistant to the mountains and beach. There are also numerous suburban areas with reasonable housing.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Naturally you should live convenient to whatever jobs you find. However, I think the Triad would suit you. Greensboro is the largest city in the region at 283,000, and Asheboro is a small city at 26,000. Both are equidistant to the mountains and beach. There are also numerous suburban areas with reasonable housing.
Thank you! Question: what is the weather like in these two cities in Winter vs. in Summer? I know that I could look at climate data but that isn't always necessarily accurate. For example where I live they say the temperatures in summer are 94 but in reality its gets near 105.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Thank you! Question: what is the weather like in these two cities in Winter vs. in Summer? I know that I could look at climate data but that isn't always necessarily accurate. For example where I live they say the temperatures in summer are 94 but in reality its gets near 105.
I think you should repeat the question on weather in the Triad sub-forum. The actual residents of the Triad would see it there.

All I could tell you is to look at the "relative humidity" or "feels-like temperatures" on Accuweather.com . Lately we have been having temps in the high 90's with "feels-like" temperatures in the low hundreds. It is so miserable you don't want to be outside for long, except in the early morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina