U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 07:08 AM

4 posts, read 14,681 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I moved from FL to Charlotte and we have tint on our car windows. DH's is way too dark and will have to be removed but mine is border line (i think 30% and the NC laws are 35%) - I hate to remove and pay to have redone.

Will I pass inspection?

Last edited by jenjacobs; 02-18-2008 at 07:52 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 07:26 AM

22,974 posts, read 60,708,294 times
Either car will need to meet the requirements below
NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Window Tinting

Old 02-18-2008, 01:52 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,924,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjacobs View Post
My hubby and I moved from FL to Charlotte and we have tint on our car windows. DH's is way too dark and will have to be removed but mine is border line (i think 30% and the NC laws are 35%) - I hate to remove and pay to have redone.

Will I pass inspection?
Depends on where you go. I have very dark window tint and actually take it to the dealership in Huntersville. I have never had any trouble.

That being said, I have a friend that was stopped about a month or 2 ago in Matthews and they told him he had to have it removed. I think that Charlotte-Mecklenburg cops are to busy to deal with something so trivial. Depends on where you are and where you live!

GOOD LUCK!

Old 02-18-2008, 04:21 PM

15 posts, read 88,305 times
both of my vehicles (explorer sport and a ranger) have 20% all the way around i just always roll the windows down b4 i got up there and it passes everytime.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:57 PM

4,760 posts, read 6,909,743 times
With the way the DMV is supposedly cracking down on inspection laws, you may get inspectors who check everything since you're from out of state.

Just pull up, tell them you want an inspection and don't mention how dark the tint is. If they pass it, go back to them next year. Also, if they pass you, DO NOT under any circumstances tell anyone who did it. You telling someone may be the reason they get busted letting a car slide through that shouldn't pass.

As far as tint goes, as long as you can see through it, good for you. Emissions, they need to get these damn smokestacks off the road and get rid of that pre-'95 garbage for emissions. If it isn't bad in your area, I invite you to check out the north side of Charlotte. Some cars smoke so bad you can't see the CAR! Those things need to find a mechanic or a crusher.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 6,770 times
I dont believe it is trivial at all it is a safety concern

Old 05-20-2008, 06:11 PM

16,308 posts, read 26,134,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
With the way the DMV is supposedly cracking down on inspection laws, you may get inspectors who check everything since you're from out of state.

Just pull up, tell them you want an inspection and don't mention how dark the tint is. If they pass it, go back to them next year. Also, if they pass you, DO NOT under any circumstances tell anyone who did it. You telling someone may be the reason they get busted letting a car slide through that shouldn't pass.

As far as tint goes, as long as you can see through it, good for you. Emissions, they need to get these damn smokestacks off the road and get rid of that pre-'95 garbage for emissions. If it isn't bad in your area, I invite you to check out the north side of Charlotte. Some cars smoke so bad you can't see the CAR! Those things need to find a mechanic or a crusher.
First any inspection station that wants to keep their license to do so will check everything, that is how it is supposed to be done. A station that "ignores" the fact that windows are tinted, will also loose their inspection license.

You have probably seen 1 older vehicle smoking, and you condemn everything made before 1995. Why the anger? Not everyone is buying the latest status symbol to so they can remain forever in debt and to impress the neighbors. It's just transportation, and it makes a lot of economic sense to own and drive older vehicles, even if it angers you because they don't require emissions testing.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:15 PM

16,308 posts, read 26,134,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Depends on where you go. I have very dark window tint and actually take it to the dealership in Huntersville. I have never had any trouble.

That being said, I have a friend that was stopped about a month or 2 ago in Matthews and they told him he had to have it removed. I think that Charlotte-Mecklenburg cops are to busy to deal with something so trivial. Depends on where you are and where you live!

GOOD LUCK!
The law regarding tint was passed for the protection of LEO so they can see what the driver/passenger are doing/holding when they walk up to a car. If you drive a car with very dark tint, you should feel fortunate that you were not a participant in a felony stop ( The officer puts you in the sights of his weapon and orders you to lay spread eagle face down in the street. This is for their safety, and they have every right to do what ever it takes to insure that they go home at the end of their shift, not to the morgue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina