Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 03:03 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehmanlion View Post
so do many nc natives regret seeing ny'ers move to nc?
It was one of the primary reasons why I didn't choose Asheville (big city northern liberal transplants driving out and disdaining the local native population, trying to make it more like where they came from, without realizing the things they like, they things they have to have and the liberal things they stand for is what made the place they left, unaffordable, congested and undesirable). I was born in NYC and lived 40 plus years of my life on LI but I want to get away from you people. This, of course, does not apply to people who come from small towns in Northern states. It's more of a large metro area transplant thing than a state-specific transplant thing. It's just that I didn't see a lot of people from Kansas City or Denver. They're all from the northeast, many by way of Florida after they made that an overcrowded, expensive, undesirable place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 04:38 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,186 times
Thumbs up Positive response to move to NC

We moved from MI to NC last year. So far I have not noticed anything more expensive here besides the cost of diary and meat! We live in a smaller town than Raleigh, and are only renting right now until we find an area that we are comfortable in living. I think people are friendly here, the weather is pretty close to perfect and so far my husband and I are living much better than we did in MI. I feel that NC is beginning a boom and that the economy will be strong here for quite some time. Not sure about the car tax thing, my husband took care of that and did not complain so it can't be too bad. We have grown children in MI so the schools are not an issue for me, but all in all I think that it is growing pains and will resolve itself. If you are not sure about where to relocate try the country, it has its good points. Also, every town in the US has ups and downs, it is just what we are comfortable with! Hope I was just a little helpful, I like it here and have not even begun to explore! Good luck.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:24 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It was one of the primary reasons why I didn't choose Asheville (big city northern liberal transplants driving out and disdaining the local native population, trying to make it more like where they came from, without realizing the things they like, they things they have to have and the liberal things they stand for is what made the place they left, unaffordable, congested and undesirable). I was born in NYC and lived 40 plus years of my life on LI but I want to get away from you people. This, of course, does not apply to people who come from small towns in Northern states. It's more of a large metro area transplant thing than a state-specific transplant thing. It's just that I didn't see a lot of people from Kansas City or Denver. They're all from the northeast, many by way of Florida after they made that an overcrowded, expensive, undesirable place to live.
Twice as many people relocate to North Carolina from other southern states than from the Northeast.... it's almost like a stereotype. There are about as many people who move here from Texas than from NY. Long Islanders and New Jersyites tend to cluster together in little "ghettos" of a sort (aka gated communities or subdivisions with really long names) in North Raleigh and Cary. Once you leave those areas though, you'll realize that there are people from all over the country who relocate here and still many natives.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMOMINNC View Post
My children and I relocated from the Bronx to Raleigh NC in 2001 due to a job transfer. Since then I lived in Cary, Morrisville, Durham, Concord and Charlotte, NC. We are moving back to New York (Westchester County) in June of 07. There are so many things that I miss about New York that I could not find (or substitute) in NC. Simple things like diversity, shoe repair, walking to your destination instead of driving, food and shopping. But beyond what some would say are the superficial things I don't find Charlotte, NC, in particular to be safe for my children - plus the educational system in horrible. The home invasions (kicking in your back door then robbing, raping or murdering you), kidnappings (you are forced into the truck of your car and forced take money from your atm - then assaulted), child abductions, guns in the schools (no metal detectors) and the "put your head in the sand" approach to solving these critical problems do not make sense to me. If I have to be in an environment where I feel unsafe, where my children are unsafe and mis-educated. I prefer to be home. It seems there is such a lack of respect for the value of life in Charlotte. This city is in pain for many reasons. On the surface the area is beautiful - but there is a rotten core that overshadows everything.

Do your research NC Bound. Check out the crime stats (in all areas not just the urban ones), research the graduation rate (67% of Charlotte Mecklenberg students do not graduate) and seek out the city, county and state officials plans for solving these problems. Peter Gorman the superindent of schools in Charlotte in trying to implement changes - but I am not hearing much about how to battle the gang, drug, murder and violent crime problem in the Queen City. Hope this helps. Good luck.
67% sounds a little too high.... I knwo it's a major problem, but I don't think it's that major. I do know that there is a special on NBC nightly news tonight for anyone who wants to watch it, about how North Carolina's governer ( Mike Easley) has decided to "Get rid" of highschool in NC because too many kids are failing. NC does in fact have one of the highest dropout rates in the country. I was surprised; having two high schoolers and being in NC to hear about this on national news... seeeing as I have heard nothign of it on the local news or form the schools.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:03 PM

9 posts, read 50,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
67% sounds a little too high.... I knwo it's a major problem, but I don't think it's that major. I do know that there is a special on NBC nightly news tonight for anyone who wants to watch it, about how North Carolina's governer ( Mike Easley) has decided to "Get rid" of highschool in NC because too many kids are failing. NC does in fact have one of the highest dropout rates in the country. I was surprised; having two high schoolers and being in NC to hear about this on national news... seeeing as I have heard nothign of it on the local news or form the schools.

It isn't that high. If anything that's the graduation rate.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0621/p03s02-ussc.html

Old 12-29-2006, 01:21 PM

9 posts, read 50,315 times
Default RE: Durham

Oh yeah and I forgot to add... Durham ranked in at #6 on Forbes America’s Smartest Cities list. Meant to come here and post this last week.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16225210/

Congrats to ya!

Old 12-29-2006, 08:45 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
The migration rate from NY to NC ranks 2nd in the nation. #1 is CA to either Oregon or Washington State (not sure which)

Old 12-29-2006, 09:41 PM

that doesn't make any sense.... because the number one state that people from NY relocate to is Florida as of 2004 estimates. I think NY to NC is down the line a little. Top 5 though probably.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:02 AM

29 posts, read 99,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
that doesn't make any sense.... because the number one state that people from NY relocate to is Florida as of 2004 estimates. I think NY to NC is down the line a little. Top 5 though probably.
I think it's probably Mexico, West Virginia, and then New York. But it really doesn't matter, one would be too many!

Old 12-30-2006, 09:08 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
http://www.charlotte.com/multimedia/charlotte/KRT_packages/archive/misc/1222census.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina