Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 10:49 AM

33 posts, read 122,376 times

Advertisements

I have recently heard lots of "cons" about moving to the Raleigh area (from NYers) and I'm starting to have some reservations

I hear the school situation is awful and that they're at 180% capacity I also hear that there are a lot of infrastructure issues and that taxes & housing costs are going up, as are utilities!

Can someone who's made the move please shed some insight on these or any other negatives?

Thanks!

Edited to add: I also heard that you have to pay taxes on your car EVERY YEAR?! anything else that I should know about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2006, 03:02 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Personal property tax, which includes tagged and untagged motor vehicles, is a local government tax, not a state tax. Where you live within NC determines the specific tax rate you pay. Some areas are very high while others are very low.

Last edited by mm34b; 11-26-2006 at 03:23 PM..

Old 11-26-2006, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Personal property tax, which includes tagged and untagged motor vehicles is a local government tax, not a state tax. Where you live within NC determines the specific tax rate you pay. Some areas are very high while others are very low.
thanks for your response. I think that's crazy! as if American's don't already pay taxes through the nose

what about the rising cost of living in the area? Do you find that it's increasing?

Old 11-26-2006, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Bound View Post
thanks for your response. I think that's crazy! as if American's don't already pay taxes through the nose

what about the rising cost of living in the area? Do you find that it's increasing?
Some areas, yes and some areas, no. It's all supply and demand. North Carolina's population growth is not uniform across all 100 counties. Some counties are actually losing population.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:16 PM

4 posts, read 13,216 times
the "car tax" is not that bad. you only pay it until your vehicle is so old then it is done. But... you also dont pay sales tax at motor vehicle so that kind of makes up for it. As for the rest of your concerns - I moved down here from upstate ny 3 yrs ago and will NEVER move back!!!!!! I absolutely love it here. There are some small things to get used to (like the car tax) but nothing really major.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:31 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times
I moved from CT to NC last year and would move back in a heartbeat. All the reasons you mentioned and the overcrowding, the tiny sized building lots, the traffic and the fact that they just want to keep building more and more. There is no charm, just a hectic feel (we are right outside Raleigh) and my stress levels have risen dramatically.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 12,290 times
Default take it from a NY'er

Moving to NC did sound all that good at first. But here are the things people forgot to tell us: The schools are crowded in Mecklenburg co. Moving to a nice safe neighborhood does not guarentee your child will go to a school in that same neighborhood. You pay taxes on your car every year till that car dies. Most developments have HOA's. Its like being a Stepford family. Saying you are from NY automatically must mean you are from NY city. They all want to here the accent. I have been to "the city" 3 times in my life. I have no idea how it is to live there hahaha. Give up Italian sausage. now you get something made by the same company that makes bratwurst or breakfast sausage. The weather is great, there is a plus. The price of a house is a lot lower but nothing else is! Every city has it's pluses and its negatives I guess. I have good neighbors, all from the north. Thats my plus!

Old 11-27-2006, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanmarie View Post
Moving to NC did sound all that good at first. But here are the things people forgot to tell us: The schools are crowded in Mecklenburg co. Moving to a nice safe neighborhood does not guarentee your child will go to a school in that same neighborhood. You pay taxes on your car every year till that car dies. Most developments have HOA's. Its like being a Stepford family. Saying you are from NY automatically must mean you are from NY city. They all want to here the accent. I have been to "the city" 3 times in my life. I have no idea how it is to live there hahaha. Give up Italian sausage. now you get something made by the same company that makes bratwurst or breakfast sausage. The weather is great, there is a plus. The price of a house is a lot lower but nothing else is! Every city has it's pluses and its negatives I guess. I have good neighbors, all from the north. Thats my plus!
Just like the state of New York, what you find in one area of the state does not carry over to another. New York State is not NYC. North Carolina is not Raleigh or Charlotte. Something to keep in mind when talking to potential newcomers.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:14 PM

693 posts, read 2,760,212 times
I moved from northeast, but not from NY. I have NO desire to go back. However I do continue to wish to be somewhere else, yeah the grass IS greener somewhere else. So far it's OK here but maybe not for long. Maybe a couple of years, who knows. I'm trying to focus on the good things that NC has to offer and not get frustrated with the negatives, every place has its own negatives. But then again it would be nice if some things here were better. Like the food for example

Old 11-27-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
I moved from CT to NC last year and would move back in a heartbeat. All the reasons you mentioned and the overcrowding, the tiny sized building lots, the traffic and the fact that they just want to keep building more and more. There is no charm, just a hectic feel (we are right outside Raleigh) and my stress levels have risen dramatically.
I am sorry to hear that. That is so sad to me. Because as I am sure we all know, moving back to the NE isn't so easy.

I thank you for your honesty and wish you luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina