Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 01:22 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,644 times

Advertisements

The economy of the city of Lenoir is in the crapper. Most of the furniture factories have closed and the jobs have gone overseas.
From I-40 to one mile north of Gastonia US321 is a limited access highway from there you take I-85 north to the airport. It is about 55-60 miles and should take about an hour and a half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 03:13 PM

68 posts, read 296,082 times
I recently moved from MA to the Grace Chapel area of Hickory.
Very nice area, lower taxes as mentioned before.
I travel to the Charlotte airport on a regular basis. It takes me an hour. I go 321 south to 85N. A very easy ride.

If you have any other questions about the Hickory area, oor specifically the Grace Chapel area, please let me know.

Len

Old 01-22-2007, 03:12 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Annie View Post
Would welcome comments, suggestions, etc. regarding Hickory NC from residents such as nice subdivisions or neighborhoods? How is the economy around Hickory? Do you see planned growth there? How is the weather in the winter?

Ill touch on the growth issue for you. Hickory is growing, but at a good pace. Not nearly as quickly as other NC cities. Not because it cant grow at the same rate, but that the city government plans for its growth carefully, and denying developers the right to build on a whim when it might cause stress on the roads and infrastructure of the city and citizens.

Hickory and its surrounding communities employed mainly middle class people up until 5 - 10 years ago when alot of the factories and plants of the textile and manufacturing industry closed. Hickory lacked the "money" many other cities and suburbs had. On the same note, Hickory has always been the only 'major' city in between Asheville and Statesville, which drew alot of people to the city.

Now, the Hickory area has begun to recover and the population explosion NC is experiencing hadnt really hit Hickory until recently. Google announced plans last week to build a service center in nearby Lenoir adding 250 jobs, and Target Corp. will build a facility in neighboring Newton adding 400 jobs.

Hickory has a well kept up downtown area, that has kept its old fashioned businesses which gives the city a hometown feel.

So bottom line, where is Hickory going? I have heard Hickory is trying to reinvent itself as a retirement type of city.

Many of the older shopping centers have gone under redevelopment phases totally revamping them with new shopping stores. There is plenty of available land in the Hickory area for business and homes, and quite a bit cheaper than Lake Norman.

Just thought Id lend some of my insight for you. I also think people should realize that other areas of NC exist besides the suburbs of Raleigh or Charlotte.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:43 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Hickory is growing, but at a good pace. ..the city government plans for its growth carefully, and denying developers the right to build on a whim when it might cause stress on the roads and infrastructure of the city and citizens.... There is plenty of available land in the Hickory area for business and homes, and quite a bit cheaper than Lake Norman. ....
... I also think people should realize that other areas of NC exist besides the suburbs of Raleigh or Charlotte.
Absolutely true, plus has excellent schools, universities, and community college!

Old 01-22-2007, 03:43 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,828 times
Hickory is an attractive town, but the job opportunities are very poor.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Hickory is an attractive town, but the job opportunities are very poor.
Yes, but the job situation is the same as Huntersville, Mooreville, Davidson, as it is in Hickory. Except the only real jobs there is working in retail, besides the Lowes Corp. in Mooresville.

The difference is the proximity to Charlotte. The Lake Norman area cities are within driving distance of Charlotte. Hickory is the Charlotte of the Catawba Valley.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Absolutely true, plus has excellent schools, universities, and community college!
And a baseball stadium and an airport.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:08 AM

9 posts, read 28,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
how is it to raise a family? I have a middle schooler and a high schooler. how is small business.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:54 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,272 times
Default Hickory

The area is not doing as bad as people are suggesting.

Google just announced they are opening up a headquarters right in Lenoir and this will be creating jobs for that city and a boom in real estate. I forget how many Google executives and staff are going to be relocating, as well as there need for new employees.

I live 15 minutes away in Taylorsville, it takes me about 25 minutes to get to Hickory.

A new furniture/upholestery plant (bought by a Chinese company, weird as we are sending all our work there) will open in a few months right here in Taylorsville.

Paragon films just opened last year here in an industrial park in Taylorsville, and Shurtape and Commscope are big employers in the area.

With the prices around Charlotte for housing being so expensive, and the crowded subdivisions and traffic, people are moving south towards Hickory, Statesville, Taylorsville and Bethlehem.

While the economy went down with the furniture business it is going up. There is talk of a BioTech firm opening up between Taylorsville and Statesville as well.

As far as raising kids, we are from Florida and my son and daughter dreaded moving, now, they love it so much here they don't want to leave as we are being relocated again with my husband's job.

It is a VERY Christian area, and the kids are not as advanced in other areas which is good.

Many activities revolve around the area churches, 4-H Clubs and schools.

There is many homeschool groups and co-ops in the area as well.

It is definitely a laid back, quieter life, and things revolve around nature, hiking, biking, fishing.

I felt out of place when we moved here, and it was a big adjustment, but we love it now.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:43 AM

14 posts, read 37,853 times
Considering a move 'home' and was wondering what the job market vs the cost of living is like or where to look for that information? How easy is find a rental with 3 dogs, a Mastiff & 2 Pit bull?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina