Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 12:01 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,599,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
The NBA is indeed functionally racist, with 75% of its players Black, and 45% of its audience Black. The audience is not directly under the control of the NBA, but the roster is. Ownership is dictated by the economy -- Blacks typically cannot afford team ownership, and those who can often have far better judgement and far better uses for their money.

I think that the NBA should be banned from North Carolina, as they are clearly bigoted in their hiring of players. Of course, you may disagree if you wish.
Your trolling is subpar.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:54 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
Your trolling is subpar.
Try to keep your eye on the ball, Pumbaa. The thread is about the NBA vis-a-vis North Carolina. If you can, address the issue, not my motivation.

I hope this helps . . .

Old 08-05-2016, 12:58 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
The NBA is indeed functionally racist, with 75% of its players Black, and 45% of its audience Black. The audience is not directly under the control of the NBA, but the roster is. Ownership is dictated by the economy -- Blacks typically cannot afford team ownership, and those who can often have far better judgement and far better uses for their money.

I think that the NBA should be banned from North Carolina, as they are clearly bigoted in their hiring of players. Of course, you may disagree if you wish.
So I assume you think the NHL should be banned from NC as well?

Old 08-05-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So I assume you think the NHL should be banned from NC as well?
I really dislike the NBA, but I don't care one way or other about the NHL. It's a much smaller fish, and as far as I know it hasn't pontificated on any of NC's laws or threatened to withdraw anything (I could be wrong).

Of course, if the NHL were racist too, that wouldn't have any bearing at all on whether the NBA is or isn't. Seems like discussing this issue makes left-wingers exceedingly uncomfortable, to the point that they feel a need to attack me and try to deflect the question.

What do you think about the merits of the issue? The NBA is clearly bigoted against white players, and yet they have the chutzpah to threaten the state of NC under the guise of protecting civil rights.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:41 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
I really dislike the NBA, but I don't care one way or other about the NHL. It's a much smaller fish, and as far as I know it hasn't pontificated on any of NC's laws or threatened to withdraw anything (I could be wrong).

Of course, if the NHL were racist too, that wouldn't have any bearing at all on whether the NBA is or isn't. Seems like discussing this issue makes left-wingers exceedingly uncomfortable, to the point that they feel a need to attack me and try to deflect the question.

What do you think about the merits of the issue? The NBA is clearly bigoted against white players, and yet they have the chutzpah to threaten the state of NC under the guise of protecting civil rights.
You said, "I think that the NBA should be banned from North Carolina, as they are clearly bigoted in their hiring of players."

The rationale you gave for banning the NBA from NC is that the players are 75% Black and thus this means the NBA is "functionally racist."

It's obvious to anyone with a functioning pair of eyes that NHL players are overwhelmingly White; I saw one stat that said the players are 98% White.

So to be consistent in your reasoning, you should want to see the NHL banned from NC as well.

Don't deflect; answer the question: should the NHL be banned from NC since its players are overwhelmingly White?

Old 08-05-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You said, "I think that the NBA should be banned from North Carolina, as they are clearly bigoted in their hiring of players."

The rationale you gave for banning the NBA from NC is that the players are 75% Black and thus this means the NBA is "functionally racist."

It's obvious to anyone with a functioning pair of eyes that NHL players are overwhelmingly White; I saw one stat that said the players are 98% White.

So to be consistent in your reasoning, you should want to see the NHL banned from NC as well.

Don't deflect; answer the question: should the NHL be banned from NC since its players are overwhelmingly White?
First, you answer me: is or is not the player ratio prima facie evidence that the NBA is a racist, bigoted organization? In the NBA, blacks are overrepresented by a factor of about 5.8 wrt the American population. What do you attribute this to? If they were underrepresented by an equivalent amount, the black population of the NBA would be about 2.2 percent rather than 75. Would that cause you any alarm? Would that be grounds for an outcry of "racism?"

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 08-05-2016 at 02:14 PM..

Old 08-05-2016, 02:30 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
What does race have to do with HB2

Old 08-05-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
What does race have to do with HB2
Civil rights. The objection to HB2 espoused by the NBA had to do with violations of civil rights, which also include rights having to do with freedom from racial discrimination. My feeling is that the same argument should be applied to the NBA -- they are undesirable and unwanted in NC because of their race-based civil rights violations. The numbers clearly confirm this. No?

Old 08-05-2016, 03:15 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times
Please no one engage this silly, silly argument.

We all see it for what it is, and what it is doesn't deserve a response.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Civil rights. The objection to HB2 espoused by the NBA had to do with violations of civil rights, which also include rights having to do with freedom from racial discrimination. My feeling is that the same argument should be applied to the NBA -- they are undesirable and unwanted in NC because of their race-based civil rights violations. The numbers clearly confirm this. No?
Then you confirmed and other posts by other posters confirmed this thread has drifted off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina