Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 01:22 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
at least we've had some economic prosperity, which beats the last governor.
The last governor inherited a national recession. Anything coming out of that would be an improvement.
And he's certainly trying his best to run away new business in the future.

I think PWN is correctly used, but I thought it was "passé"--isn't the new term REKT? I try to keep up with the young'uns and their internet slang (no doubt failing).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 01:39 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
no clue on the proper internet slang.

I'm pretty sure our budget spending is up, our deficit has been eliminated early, our "rainy day" funds are at healthy levels.

I would ask how Perdue's company announcements (job #'s) stack up here 4-8 years later.

And to mlhm5, I could not have guessed that you were saying Duke Power pwned McCrory. It would still be more proper to claim he's "bought and paid for" by Duke, which if accurate, still wouldn't be a good thing and something that I oppose. Can't agree with every politician on every matter. And I do agree that leaking ash pits should be fixed by Duke Power, and pronto.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:05 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure our budget spending is up, our deficit has been eliminated early, our "rainy day" funds are at healthy levels.
And I'm pretty sure McCrory (and his cronies in the GA) has benefited from 7 years of economic expansion, albeit slower than a normal recovery.

Being a republican apologist these days takes quite the mental gymnastics. And the ability to suspend reality, of course.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:08 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Part of this is from reducing things like teachers' assistants etc that are desperately needed and we could have afforded to keep.

And, wait til the bills from the HB2 and other unconstitutional-law defense start rolling in.

He will time it so that all of these bills come due in the NEXT term, mind you, so they can point to Cooper (fingers crossed) and say "But look, he went in the hole", conveniently not mentioning that it was mostly just paying the piper for this administration's overreach and delays.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:31 PM

599 posts, read 401,710 times
I'm a Republican/Libertarian and I have to ask why is it that other neighboring Republican controlled states like South Carolina and Georgia have much friendlier business climates?

Here Pat McCrory who I originally supported as a moderate now comes across as a social conservative Republican where as if the Republican Party really wants to expand in the future they have to lay off the social issues as that's what going to start killing them in the polls.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:41 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times
Nikki Haley's parents were small business owners.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:17 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,366 times
May as well take multiple dumps in a pond and go swimming in it. That's what the quality will be soon enough.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:20 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
no clue on the proper internet slang.

I would ask how Perdue's company announcements (job #'s) stack up here 4-8 years later.

And to mlhm5, I could not have guessed that you were saying Duke Power pwned McCrory. It would still be more proper to claim he's "bought and paid for" by Duke, which if accurate, still wouldn't be a good thing and something that I oppose. Can't agree with every politician on every matter. And I do agree that leaking ash pits should be fixed by Duke Power, and pronto.
All made easier by the fact that the US is no longer in the worst recession in 80 years like it was when Perdue took office. I don't think you can give McCrory much credit for that.

Using that same logic; would you say that Obama can take credit for the national economy performing better overall now than it was when he took office at the same time as Perdue?

Old 07-28-2016, 09:13 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
I'm just responding to the idea that he's the biggest idiot in The history of ever.

See, I look at what's right and what needs to change. Others react as if every action taken by the opposition is the worst thing ever.

On one point, I'd ask - Where does NC stand in the magazine rankings of business friendly? Last I saw, really high.

On teachers assistants, the prior governor decided not only to keep spending at previous levels overall, but to use the TARP money allotted to NC on teachers' assistants. That was clearly unsustainable, and did nothing to increase near-term state coffers so we could overcome the deficit.

Tl;dr (that's too long, didn't read). ....

Everybody makes mistakes, and when you can't acknowledge that, you weaken your own argument.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:42 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
See, I look at what's right and what needs to change. Others react as if every action taken by the opposition is the worst thing ever.
Interesting. I don't recall you saying anything positive about a non-republican, nor something negative about a republican. Perhaps I missed it. Or not.

Quote:
On one point, I'd ask - Where does NC stand in the magazine rankings of business friendly? Last I saw, really high.
So what? First, those rankings mean nothing. They are the business equivalent of the best places to move lists. Second, NC has ranked high on them for many, many years. In 2007 NC was #3 on Forbes list of state business climates. Were you passing out kudos to Gov. Easley? In 2010 CNBC had NC #4...yet earlier in this thread you crapped all over Perdue.

Quote:
Everybody makes mistakes, and when you can't acknowledge that, you weaken your own argument.
Pot, meet kettle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina