Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 08:46 AM

224 posts, read 283,663 times

Advertisements

I was curious to know what people dislike and like about the area they live in and the overall region? I live in Mebane. I would say for myself:

2. There are developments and construction happening everywhere.

3. Biscuits and best BBQ.

4. Nice lakes..and nice beaches to see..and even luckier if you live near them.

5. A lot of places to choose for shopping.

Dislikes

1. Developments are VERY slow..compared to other towns and cities in the US. None of the major cities will ever be anything close to cities such as Miami, Austin, NYC, Boston, ect

2. Most natives are judgmental of you. If you moved from the the "North" they will treat you differently.

3. Barely any high rise buildings even in the major cities such as Raleigh, Winston-Salem, Charlotte, ect compared to other major cities in the US.

4. I noticed most houses are only single floor...I understand that makes for a "cheaper" home but just why???

5. If you live in the Triangle or the Piedmont Traid region you're about 3 hours away from the mountains and 3 hours away from a beach.

6. Barely any restaurants that deliver..except maybe if you live in Charlotte.

7. TWC is basically a monopoly....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 09:17 AM

6,314 posts, read 5,403,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aylinap View Post
I was curious to know what people dislike and like about the area they live in and the overall region? I live in Mebane. I would say for myself:

Dislikes

1. Developments are VERY slow..compared to other towns and cities in the US. None of the major cities will ever be anything close to cities such as Miami, Austin, NYC, Boston, ect

2. Most natives are judgmental of you. If you moved from the the "North" they will treat you differently.

3. Barely any high rise buildings even in the major cities such as Raleigh, Winston-Salem, Charlotte, ect compared to other major cities in the US.

4. I noticed most houses are only single floor...I understand that makes for a "cheaper" home but just why???

5. If you live in the Triangle or the Piedmont Traid region you're about 3 hours away from the mountains and 3 hours away from a beach.

The rest of your list is fairly subjective; but I did want to point out that the bolded statement is pretty inaccurate on both accounts. Two story homes are more common than single story in most of NC....and per square foot; single story homes are actually more expensive to build than multi-story homes because they require a larger footprint foundation.

I like NC because it's home. I dislike that it has become seen as some beacon of affordability that everyone in the Northeast must move to in order to show off (obviously also a subjective statement)

Old 07-31-2016, 09:44 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,960,412 times
My parents moved me here in 1974 from Michigan when I was six - it took a long time for other students to stop asking me "Where are you from?" ... So N.C. has always been a quasi-home to me.

I agree with the poster above that land has gotten too expensive to build as many single story homes as was prevalent prior to the 1980s. I've made sure every house I buy is single story - makes them easier to sell or rent. Most people I know with 2 story homes view them as a compromise in order to get interior space or buy into a good school district.

One of the things I used to dislike was the high income tax - and I was on the cusp of moving to Tennessee to reduce my tax burden, when the legislature rolled the taxes down. I remember having to pay into the "surtax" from Beverly Purdue's era. Ugh.

The summers are just a little hotter than ideal, but I do like the fair and often sunny winters. We don't get those weeks of gray overcast like you do up north.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:18 PM

7,051 posts, read 12,268,750 times
Quote:

Dislikes

I'd have to say that most of your dislikes are due to you moving to Mebane. You sound like a "city person". If that's what you are, why didn't you move to a 22nd floor apartment in the middle of Charlotte? You say that developments here are very slow compared to the likes of Austin. Well, the last time I checked, Charlotte's skyline can rival Austin's any day. Charlotte also has 9.6 miles of light rail with a 9.2 mile light rail extension set to open next summer. In my opinion, it seems like your "North Carolina" experience has been very limited so far.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I'd have to say that most of your dislikes are due to you moving to Mebane. You sound like a "city person". If that's what you are, why didn't you move to a 22nd floor apartment in the middle of Charlotte? You say that developments here are very slow compared to the likes of Austin. Well, the last time I checked, Charlotte's skyline can rival Austin's any day. Charlotte also has 9.6 miles of light rail with a 9.2 mile light rail extension set to open next summer. In my opinion, it seems like your "North Carolina" experience has been very limited so far.
Charlotte is an "old city" compared to other cities I mentioned yet cities like Miami and Austin which is a "new" city has exceeded Charlotte in terms of the rate of developments. I knew people would be critical of my post with my opinion, but I'm asking for others opinions too on what they like and dislike. Not a debate.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:05 PM

605 posts, read 798,728 times
My favorite things are the people, the natural beauty, and the food.

My least favorite things are the oppressive summer heat and the current political climate.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:20 PM

7,051 posts, read 12,268,750 times
Quote:
Charlotte is an "old city" compared to other cities I mentioned yet cities like Miami and Austin which is a "new" city has exceeded Charlotte in terms of the rate of developments. I knew people would be critical of my post with my opinion, but I'm asking for others opinions too on what they like and dislike. Not a debate.
https://www.realpage.com/mpf-researc...-charlotte-nc/

Old 08-01-2016, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Article is from 2014...There's a whole lot of US out there that you don't know about.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
North Carolina's idiot legislature is great for reducing state income tax which benefits the wealthy the most ...and then sticking it to the poor and middle-class residents in the form of "taxes and fees". A sales tax on my electric bill - what a crock of you-know-what! Next, they'll want sales tax on your hospital bill!!!

"Conservative" in business, means "anti-worker" with the average worker getting paid a lot less than in the states you mentioned and they have little to no worker's rights. North Carolina never seem to make the Top 10 States Happiest Employees list!

Many people have moved to NC because of it's cheap housing and property taxes. But cheaper doesn't necessarily mean better. Mcdonald's is cheaper than Ruth's Chris Steak House. Charlotte is cheaper than San Francisco!

Perhaps, with the shrinking of the middle class, North Carolina is a better fit for those who have fallen a few rungs down the economic ladder from the higher and pricier rungs of the Northeast and California. If you're so enamored with NC, you'll absolutely love Mississippi, West Virginia and Alabama!
I agree with you. When I moved here I was surprised that groceries are taxed here. It adds up over time...

Old 08-01-2016, 07:46 AM

2,839 posts, read 2,951,404 times
I just realized I've been tipping on post tax my entire life!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina