Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2016, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,341 times

Advertisements

What should I know about living in NC? My family is planning on possibly moving there, we are looking for some good colleges. But we are also looking to live in a area that isn't crowded, noisy, or suburban. We liked Franklin at first, but after learning more things about it, we don't like it. So now we are just really confused where we want to move!

Things you should know:
1. We DO NOT want to live in a neighborhood.
2. We DO NOT want to live in a expensive area
3. We are looking for some good colleges
4. We have a healthy life style. We like walks and good food.
5. We love anything local, like farmer's market.
6. We are possibly planning on owning a 'hobby farm' (just a few chickens, goats). So we would need a good sized lot of land, but nothing too big...
7. Our range for homes is anywhere from $100,000-$250,000
8. We have 3 dogs.
9. We want to be able to see the stars at nighttime
10. We DON"T want to have to put up with hearing noisy neighbors, lawn mowers, construction, and the highway. We are suffering right now in Ohio because of all of the noise.

Thank you for reading the post and for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 11:55 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,385,922 times
$100,000 to $250,000 is pretty low for acreage with a house, unless its waaaay out in the sticks, or in a very undesirable area. How far from colleges do you want to be? What type of academic programs are you looking for? How far from restaurants and farmers markets? Any other criteria? Access to employment? Mountains? Beaches?

Old 08-22-2016, 12:37 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
What should I know about living in NC?
That is entirely dependent on where you end up--NC is a very diverse state, with urban areas and rural areas, mountains and beaches. "Living in NC" is different for each place.

It would be better to ask "What should I know about living in (city or region of NC)?" You could be smack in the middle of downtown Charlotte, or be a hermit in the forest in the mountains, and both are "living in NC".

What is drawing you to NC to begin with? Do you have a job here? Otherwise, what do you know about the state that makes you think, "Hey, let's move there!"

Most of the questions you ask can be satisfied by a long list of places, either in NC or somewhere else.

The "good colleges" part is really another topic altogether.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:59 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agronvall View Post
What should I know about living in NC? My family is planning on possibly moving there, we are looking for some good colleges. But we are also looking to live in a area that isn't crowded, noisy, or suburban. We liked Franklin at first, but after learning more things about it, we don't like it........
There are plenty of properties like that in the eastern part of the state in towns like Magnolia, Mount Olive, Benson or Richlands. They are very rural, often surrounded by farms. Mount Olive University is a four-year college, and there are community colleges. You could also drive to UNCW or Campbell University.

The disadvantage is that the landscape is flat, and it sounds like you were attracted to the mountains. Your neighbors may want to shoot on their own land or run ATV's. It is their right and you can't really escape from noisy neighbors.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:36 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
What should I know about living in NC? My family is planning on possibly moving there, we are looking for some good colleges.
You will get better suggestions if you do these things:

1. Figure out which region of the state you want to live in. If it's the mountains, then post only in the Western sub-forum.
2. Tell us how you plan to make a living, and what size town you would need to be in to find a job.
3. Tell us more about what you do want, especially the colleges. Tell us less about what you don't want.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-23-2016 at 07:56 AM..

Old 08-23-2016, 07:51 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
Quote:
What should I know about living in NC? My family is planning on possibly moving there, we are looking for some good colleges. But we are also looking to live in a area that isn't crowded, noisy, or suburban. We liked Franklin at first, but after learning more things about it, we don't like it. So now we are just really confused where we want to move!

Things you should know:
6. We are possibly planning on owning a 'hobby farm' (just a few chickens, goats). So we would need a good sized lot of land, but nothing too big...
8. We have 3 dogs.
10. We DON"T want to have to put up with hearing noisy neighbors, lawn mowers, construction, and the highway. We are suffering right now in Ohio because of all of the noise.

The more rural areas in NC you will find people target shooting legally on their own property. You would have to be a mile away to not hear this and that might not be far enough distance.
People also ride ATV's in rural areas which can be noisy, dusty.

If you can live with that then you won't have any problem finding a place in your price range.

Long walks to find good food is more like it. NC is barbecue heaven, the good restaurants aside from barbecue will not be in the rural areas.

I don't have anything against target shooters because I like to shoot, I just don't want to live next door to somebody's shooting range.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:04 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,503,397 times
I would suggest looking in Wilkes County. It's relatively rural so you could have some space between neighbors, it's right in the Blue Ridge Mountain chain (a chain off the Appalachians) plenty of farmland, hills, good country folk, there's Wilkes Community College, should be plenty of homes in your price range. Communities like Roaring River might have what you're looking for. Wilkesboro and North Wilkesboro might too, but they might be too "big" for you (combined populaton of less than 10,000).

Old 08-27-2016, 04:40 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,690 times
You can easily buy what you want in Northern Granville County (borders Wake County) near Kerr Lake. Just go to LandVest and search Granville county.

Example in Bullock, NC
"Almost 10 Acres of Country near the Lake. This 2500 Sq,Ft, 1904 Classic Farm House has 4 bedrooms. 1 bath, tons of charm, 4 fireplaces, Sun room, Screened in porch, open country front porch, 2 barns, shed and an in ground pool. Surrounded by the CORPS of Engineers land, this property has the piece and quiet you could only dream of, large pecan trees, flowers, birds and butterflies everywhere. Set back in your rocking chair or porch swing and... more "

Old 08-30-2016, 08:47 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,523,945 times
Someone mentioned Wilkes County and I think that might be worth looking at. It's very rural, in the mountains, and is not far at all from Appalachian St. University.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:14 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,371,285 times
Quote:

Things you should know:
8. We have 3 dogs.

You just described about 60% of the state. The other 40% is urban or very remote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina