Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 12:54 PM

120 posts, read 110,223 times

Advertisements

So we just got back from our whirlwind trip: Charlotte: Raleigh/Durham, Atlanta, Augusta (I went to highschool there/Dad lives there))

He was unimpressed with Charlotte and wowed by Atlanta. I personally find Atlanta a bit much but if being closer to my homestate means moving to Atlanta, then I'll do it. After a week of driving on 20,77, and 85 and coming back to the Bay area morning commute (70 minutes to go 18 miles)...I gotta get out of here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 03:17 PM

241 posts, read 338,595 times
I think you should try Chapel Hill. It's progressive and liberal. A little bit hippyish. Close proximity to Raleigh. The Triangle is a good mix. I'd rate it above Charlotte because you seek a little bit less hectic lifestyle.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:20 PM

810 posts, read 666,913 times
Take a good look at the Triangle. Consistent top 5 city in best places to live in the US by various publications (Forbes, Money, etc.) Smaller than Charlotte but a lot more "educated". You'll be 2 hours from the beach too

Old 10-21-2016, 11:54 AM

120 posts, read 110,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
Take a good look at the Triangle. Consistent top 5 city in best places to live in the US by various publications (Forbes, Money, etc.) Smaller than Charlotte but a lot more "educated". You'll be 2 hours from the beach too

I think the urban thing is what he really felt was lacking. Albeit we didn't spend a whole of time there but there's just not as much going on. Also being an armed guard or possibly going into the police force, hectic is a plus for him. He's a veteran with a highschool diploma. We get a lot of advice that tells him he should go back to school, at least get an associates. But when you're trying to convince a man with a highschool diploma who's managed to buy a house in the SF Bay area and at one point was making more than me (before I left the nonprofit sector) - dumping money into school is not a good argument.

He also got way too excited about Georgia's "gun laws" but we live in California where you need a gun license to use a crossbow to hunt.

I'm not really that worried about me finding a job as I'm open to being either on the engineering or project management side of things. I also don't care as much about small vs big city (I went to Georgia Southern, come on...) He's the picky one.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:22 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIT77 View Post
So we just got back from our whirlwind trip: Charlotte: Raleigh/Durham, Atlanta, Augusta (I went to highschool there/Dad lives there))

He was unimpressed with Charlotte and wowed by Atlanta. I personally find Atlanta a bit much but if being closer to my home state means moving to Atlanta, then I'll do it. After a week of driving on 20,77, and 85 and coming back to the Bay area morning commute (70 minutes to go 18 miles)...I gotta get out of here.
You are complaining about commutes and moving to ATLANTA?

Old 10-25-2016, 07:47 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You are complaining about commutes and moving to ATLANTA?
True dat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina