Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 10:04 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Think about it, there are almost 750,000 registered sex offenders in this country. How many of THEM to go in the bathroom with you or your wives or kids?

This law was always about the state government sticking it to the Charlotte City Council. They got bonus points for sticking it to the LGBTQ community, too!
Unfortunately, Charlotte's law made it impossible to remove any of those offenders from female locker rooms if they're caught there until after they assault or videotape someone. Under the law, facilities and police could be sued for removing any men from women's locker rooms if they claim to mentally identify as female.

Before the ordinance, a business could exercise good judgement in policing their own facilities without fear of lawsuit. NC did what it had to to restore this option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 10:20 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
Unfortunately, Charlotte's law made it impossible to remove any of those offenders from female locker rooms if they're caught there until after they assault or videotape someone. Under the law, facilities and police could be sued for removing any men from women's locker rooms if they claim to mentally identify as female.
I think you will find FAR MORE incidents of adult men who id as straight preying on young boys in public bathrooms, than anyone identifying as trans or pretending to identify as trans preying on women or girls in public bathrooms.

Stuff like this:
Ex-Raleigh teacher gets at least five years in prison for bathroom photos of boys :: WRAL.com

Former assistant basketball coach in Fayetteville charged with statutory rape | abc11.com

Ex-volunteer school coach charged with sex offense involving teen, Fayetteville officials say | WNCN

Or the Sandusky business, etc.

There is not a lot of predation BY trans people. There is a lot of preying ON trans people, but the women's bathroom is not where it happens.

It really doesn't matter whether you or I or Pat McCrory thinks that transgenderism is "real". Don't know about you, but last time I checked Pat McCrory and I weren't medical doctors or psychiatrists or psychologists.

It is entirely reasonable to pass laws to protect people. I am unaware of ANY incident of an assault by someone who is trans or even claims to be trans that has taken place in a bathroom in North Carolina. Not saying there aren't any, but I can easily find any number of incidents of pedophiles in bathrooms in NC with a quick google search, but they're almost always men in boys bathrooms, often men in positions of leadership like coaches, teachers, scout leaders, priests. If they want to pass a law for stronger background checks on these guys I've got no problem with that.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:39 AM

For the record I'm female and I don't care if a transgender woman comes in the bathroom with me. I also don't care if a man who really has to go comes in the bathroom with me — I know folks with IBS and sometimes you just gotta go when you gotta go.

I don't recall ever feeling threatened by anyone who is transgender and I do know quite a few transmen and transwomen. I reserve judgement on how they want to live their lives. That's up to them. None of my business.

I have felt creeped out and perceived a possible threat from various guys in various situations. Totally not worrying about the transwoman at the health food co-op. Totally creeped out by the open-carrying long beareded redneck with the confederate flag belt buckle in the gas station on I-40 on the way to the beach. Pass some stricter gun control laws and I'd feel a lot better.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:43 AM

Yeah, trans people aren't the problem. Cis guys not being kicked out because of potential lawsuits is. Target isn't even under an ordinance like Charlotte's in most places and it still feels the need not to stop obviously cis guys from going where they please.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:47 AM

The reason a large percentage of predation is in male bathrooms and locker rooms is because they didn't have access to the female ones. That's what Charlotte would have changed.

A lot of predators prefer boys. A lot more prefer girls.

Last edited by vulfpeck; 08-22-2016 at 11:11 AM..

Old 08-22-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I have felt creeped out and perceived a possible threat from various guys in various situations. Totally not worrying about the transwoman at the health food co-op. Totally creeped out by the open-carrying long beareded redneck with the confederate flag belt buckle in the gas station on I-40 on the way to the beach. Pass some stricter gun control laws and I'd feel a lot better.
But you're OK if he can now follow you into the locker room or showers with no repercussions?

The law said you can't use gender identity or expression to stop someone from using their choice of facility. Being obviously male and bearded wouldn't allow him to be questioned.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I think you will find FAR MORE incidents of adult men who id as straight preying on young boys in public bathrooms, than anyone identifying as trans or pretending to identify as trans preying on women or girls in public bathrooms.

Stuff like this:
Ex-Raleigh teacher gets at least five years in prison for bathroom photos of boys :: WRAL.com

Former assistant basketball coach in Fayetteville charged with statutory rape | abc11.com

Ex-volunteer school coach charged with sex offense involving teen, Fayetteville officials say | WNCN
Exactly! You are completely correct that the trans people aren't the danger. The poorly worded law is. Here are some examples of what happens when you can't question men that want to enter the female showers. Expect more of this as Charlotte's failed ordinance is applied in other cities:

- Mass. man records teen girl in Target "unisex" dressing room

- North Dakota man records woman in Target dressing room

- 'Peeping Tom' records underage girl changing at Frisco Target

- Miami Twp. Target peeping Tom pleads guilty

- Man 'representing himself as a woman today' enters women's dressing room at Ross store

- Man caught undressing in front of girls at Green Lake locker room

- St. Pete man records himself asking to use Target women’s bathroom

- "Transgender" person caught recording women at Idaho Target

Under the ordinance, they would be allowed to legally be there as long as they don't record or touch. But by that point, isn't it too late? Why allow them in in the first place?

Last edited by vulfpeck; 08-22-2016 at 11:14 AM..

Old 08-22-2016, 11:20 AM

And did you find ANY incident of a transperson being arrested for a peeping tom or assault in a bathroom in North Carolina?? HB2 has not been around very long. Transgender people were using the bathroom of their choice for a long time before the law. Plenty of time for there to be records of prior arrests.

Do you want me to list some more arrests of men preying on boys? Because there are a WHOLE lot of them, and although I don't know the stats, I wouldn't be surprised if pedophiles target boys more often than girls in general not just in bathrooms.

Frankly, I don't like open locker rooms and don't use them. I think they are not needed and difficult for a lot of people, especially, kids to deal with whether they're male or female or transgender. I would be okay with unisex showers and changing facilities with doors that lock.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
But you're OK if he can now follow you into the locker room or showers with no repercussions?

The law said you can't use gender identity or expression to stop someone from using their choice of facility. Being obviously male and bearded wouldn't allow him to be questioned.
I'd feel better if he didn't have the gun. I'd frankly rather stay far away from his type.

A nice transwoman going about her business in the bathroom? No problem. Weirdos with big guns and confederate regalia of either gender in the bathroom with me would creep me out.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
And did you find ANY incident of a transperson being arrested for a peeping tom or assault in a bathroom in North Carolina?? HB2 has not been around very long. Transgender people were using the bathroom of their choice for a long time before the law. Plenty of time for there to be records of prior arrests.

Do you want me to list some more arrests of men preying on boys? Because there are a WHOLE lot of them, and although I don't know the stats, I wouldn't be surprised if pedophiles target boys more often than girls in general not just in bathrooms.

Frankly, I don't like open locker rooms and don't use them. I think they are not needed and difficult for a lot of people, especially, kids to deal with whether they're male or female or transgender. I would be okay with unisex showers and changing facilities with doors that lock.
You are not hearing me.

Trans people are not the problem.

The law functionally allows anyone, transgender or not, to go where they please. If a facility or police stop them, they can be sued under the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina